inTank Media Baskets

[Stock] lgreen

lgreen

Thanks.

I can't really control the sand bed. The powerhead runs the show there. The sand bed is really clean, not full of debris or algae, so I'm happy even if it is ugly.

Yes, that is the same frogspawn. Unfortunately that neon green torch I tried to rescue did not make it though. Mine are under PC. With LPS, my observations point to water quality being the biggest factor. The tank I get this stuff out of is ok, but has really high nitrates and uses well water. I stick them in my tank which uses tap water and has 0 nitrates and everything looks great.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Nope, I haven't had any problems with any of the LPS stinging. Actually I think my ricordia so far have been more aggressive than anything.

It already has that nice, grown-in look, lg. Really awesome setup!!

Do you have any close up shots of those zoas to the left of the blue rics? (the ones w/ green skirts)

nice shot :). for the final entry photo, smooth the sandbed over and take the pic before you turn the pump back on. it may get you some extra votes :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Growth Update:

The two larger blue rics have began splitting, you can see the new mouth in the lower one:

DSC_00112.JPG

Mvite's lunar eclipse palys have made an amazing recovery and have gone from 2 polyps to 8 polyps:

November 10

lunar_eclipse.JPG

February 13

DSC_00017.JPG

Both of the orange paly varieties I got from Six have also grown like crazy:

October 27

Six_s_Orange1_Zoanthid.JPG

February 13

DSC_00103.JPG

October 27

Six_s_Orange2_Zoanthid.JPG

February 13

DSC_00251.JPG

Thanks! My corals looked pretty ###ed off yesterday. Probably a bit overdue for a water change. I payed for my bag of salt at work and then forgot it. It will have to wait until next monday I guess unless I decide to drive 20 miles to get it.

wow, those growth rates are amazing. for some reason, I just can't seem to be able to do that with my corals. i think the water may be too clean which brings me to an interesting idea. every nano tank that is just running with minimum equipment always seems to do better than those with skimmers or fuges. may be due to the extra nutrients but i dunno. i remember joyce wilkerson having a similar theory about bta's and skimmers. hmm...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Feb FTS:

DSC_000110.JPG

I fixed the sand bed a little :) but you can see how the powerhead is quickly returning it back to how it wants it.

Thanks, more pics:

DSC_00081.JPG

DSC_00093.JPG

DSC_00104.JPG

DSC_00132.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_00161.JPG

DSC_00201.JPG

DSC_00311.JPG

DSC_00401.JPG

DSC_00411.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

You can really some some incredible growth on this flower leather that was just a two flower frag when I first got it.

DSC_0043.JPG

I just purchased an API Reef Master Test Kit and have to say I am rather impressed by the simplicity and ease of use of this test kit. This probably has to be the most simple test kit I have used other than test strips. The Reef Master Test kit test for Calcium, Carbonate, Nitrate, and Phosphate. It should run you around $20-30 which isn't bad for having 4 different tests.

Here are my results:

Calcium: 420

Carbonate: 13 (just a tiny high)

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

I need to get a pH kit still. I really don't test my tanks, but I have been adding stuff with out testing, so I figured I better take a look and make sure I wasn't over doing it. Corals looked fine, so I knew it was ok, but just wanted to make sure.

My temp on the other hand was up to about 80*. Didn't realize I had the heater set a little too high until I bought another thermometer the other day (i usually break mine with in a week by dropping it or stepping on it, ha ha). Then I looked at the heater setting and realized I had the knob up a little high. I turned it down to about 77*.

My salinity was also at 1.030 ha ha. Some of my corals were looking a little more withdrawn than usual the other day. Turns out this is why. Quick fix, now it is down to something. I didn't check, ha ha. Just added a gallon of freshwater. Anyway, as you can see from the pics, everything looks very happy today.

It is very interesting to sort of let some of these parameters slide a bit and see how the corals respond. Eventually you get to a point in which you can just look at your corals and they will tell you all the parameters of the tank. Very interesting stuff.

Brooky :(

They didn't even make it a week.

I also lost that neon green torch. I guess the damage had been done and I couldn't rescue it. Also that little finger leather I had disintegrated sort of randomly for no reason.

Everything else is happy and thriving though. Guess it shows to go ya that even when everything is going great, sometimes you lose things.

lookin good L! Hope you have better luck next time with your clowns. TR ones can be kinda flakey as far as health goes (IME).

Hows the prop tank going?

Thanks guys.

I have been thinking about adding another small fish, but haven't really narrowed it down much. Maybe something a little more exotic from the goby family or maybe even just simple like a green or yellow clown goby. Suggestions welcome.

Prop tanks is going good. Still needs some work, but I am short on funds. More pics of that when I get it a bit more completed.

Archived