Pod Your Reef

[Stock] lgreen

lgreen

[stock] lgreen

10g of Complete lgreen Nerdiness

Introduction

I've been wanting to start a small nano that is more manageable given I am pretty dang busy with school, so I think this will be a great excuse to do that. Basically I just want to keep it simple and to the point. No fancy equipment, just fundamental biology, chemistry, and physics. As far as what I am going to keep in it, I have no idea yet, and would be open to creative suggestions.

Tank

-All Glass 10g (20x10x12)

Lighting

-20" 1x40w Current USA Satellite PC w/ legs

Filtration & Circulation

-12 lb Premium Aquatics Nano Rock (Marshall Island, Kaelini, Tonga)

-1 lb Premium Aquatics Rock Pool Crud

-20 lb Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite

-Marineland Penguin 200B Power Filter (200gph)

-Whisper 30 Power Filter w/ Rowa Carbon (145gph) (used occasionally when debris in water column)

-Maxijet 600 Powerhead (160gph)

Temperature Control

-50w All Glass (Hydor) Heater

Water

-Tap water treated w/ AP Stress Coat

-Reef Crystals

Livestock

Fish

-None. I don't know if I will add any or not. Not for a while at least.

Coral

-5 Varieties of Mushrooms (neon red, fuzzy green, purple w/ neon green dots)

-4 Varieties of Green Star Polyp (mega green [from SIX], medium green, and fuzzy green)

-Pink Star Polyp [from Six]

-Pink Encrusting Gorgonian [from Six]

-Neon Green Tip Galaxia [from Six]

-Wammin' Watermelon Zoas [from Six]

-Super Orange w/ Dark Center Zoas [from Six]

-Super Orange w/ light centers Zoas [from Six]

-Lime Green Zoas

-Purple People Eater Palythoa [from mvite]

-Lunar Eclipse Palythoa [from mvite]

-Green Stardust People Eater Palythoa [from mvite]

-Mint Palythoa [from mvite]

-Blue Zoanthus [from mvite]

-Anthelia

-Pulsing Xenia

-Blue Ricordias

-4 varieties of Blastomussa (mint green, purple/green, green?, neon red)

-2 heads Frogspawn w/ live barnacle

-Flower Leather

-Pink Hairy Finger Leather

-White/Pink Bubble Coral

Inverts

-2 Astrea Snails (Tiger Stripe, Regular)

-More to be added as needed

Special Thanks To

-Six

-mvite

I very highly recommend buying corals from these two extremely honest and fair nano-reefers!

Official Contest Photos

Entry Photo

entry_photo.JPG

October

FTS_8.JPG

November

FTS9.JPG

December

DSC_0097.JPG

January

DSC_00071.JPG

February

DSC_000110.JPG

March

DSC_00064.JPG

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping it simple. You can actually do pretty amazing things w/ a 15w coralife 50/50 bulb on a 10g tank. You'll see.

Don't know as far as stocking. Open to suggestions, but looking to do something simple and creative.

Temperature Control

-50w All Glass (Hydor) Heater

If you haven't bought it yet don't ! I hate mine. I basically need to set it at 72 F to have water at 80 F. That just doesn't sound right to me so I'm not using it.

Cheers.

I am excited to set up another nano tank. I want to keep this one more perminantly so I decided I will try and do a really nice job on it. With that I decided to place an impulsive order with Premium Aquatics to get 12 lbs of their awsome marshall island, kaelini, and tonga nano rock, 4 lbs of their live rock rubble, and 1 lb of the rock pool crud. I have bought their rock before and it is unbelievable, but never bought the rubble or crud. I'm sure it will be great though. Usually it seems like the rock rubble comes bigger than you expect. I bet someone could aquascape a whole nano with it if they wanted.

Buying the tank tommorow and then I will get the pic up. I have a big neuropsych test on wed, so I probably shouldn't start setting it up tell wed afternoon/evening, but we'll see if I can stand to wait that long. I don't even know where I'm going to put the tank yet.

Nice choice of refreshment!

I also chose to go with the Penguin Bio-Wheel 200! I kinda get tired of all the algae and gunk that grows in the upper "U" portion of the aquaclear filters from the light being able to go into the clear tube. And that Biowheel for bio filtration can't be beat. Plus it will fuel my macroalgae! I'm gonna keep some Purigen on hand for pre-photo clean-up and flossing to put in the extra filtration basket.

I think you'll really like that Marshall Island rock. On my first tank before I sold it, I had lots of that stuff and wow did it come with a lot of animals. I actually still have one small piece and a large piece in my current 10G tank. I'm interested to see what that "crud" is. Please post pics when you get it.

Thanks!

I agree. I had a aqua clear on my last nano and I thought it was kind of noisey compared to the marineland pengiun.

I've bought Premium Aquatics marshall island rock before and marshall island from other sellers and Premium Aquatics is 40x better. I can't wait to see it.

I'm interested too to see the crud. I'll post pics for sure.

Yep. The tap water here is pretty good. Good enough that GARF and many others have been using it in their systems for like 30 years.

I do have a 90gpd Spectrapure RO/DI unit, but it is a pain in the but to use since I don't have it permanently installed. Don't have a good place to install it. I haven't changed the membranes on it in like 2 years and really can't afford new ones at the second, so I don't even know that using it would do me any good.

Does this tank make my desk look fat?

er_um.JPG

I didn't remember a 10g tank being so big. I don't think I like the idea of having so much water right next to my laptop and moniter (and printer below).

Crap! Got to figure out where to put it. This may require some major shifting of things in my room. Premium Aquatics order gets here friday and I have lab from 8-5 tommorow. This should be nice and stressful.

I decided to move it to my dressor. Not worth the risk. Just have to pull my dressor out of the closet and move something else in to the closet instead.

mine is also next to my laptop.. and my printer.... and my cell phone (if its charging).. and my iPod (if its charging)

I know how you feel!

hey lgreen just letting you know i'll be checking your progress and hopefully pick up a few pointers along the way. and i just wanna say thanks for helping me out with my nano. :D

Does this tank make my desk look fat?

er_um.JPG

dude, you just outed yourself surfing pron!

and you didn't even share! bastard!

I'm having the same "problem" here. I was planning to put the nano-tank next to my monitor at the office, but that didn't work very well at all.. A 10G is much larger than I imagined.. So I've temporary installed it at a table in the other end of the room..

I'm wondering, would it be possible to move it later, if I take out - let's say 50% of the water? ;)

Archived