inTank Media Baskets

[Stock] lgreen

lgreen

tank is looking good, are the "leaves" of the prolifera really skinny or wider? it seems that the broader leaf variety grow slower. hth. btw, tanks always look better with a black background. ;)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nvm, i got it confused with taxiflolia and mexicanna. you can go ahead and slap me now. :slap: i eyed up a blue or black background on my pico today and the blue just looked wierd. black helps hide equipment too.

mybuickskill6979
Finally got them pictures ;) This should be interesting.

i've noticed that theres no protein skimmer! im new to this but for reefer tank aren't they a necessity?

I think what I have is prolifera. I'm paranoid about it taking over the tank though, so I might end up taking it out. We'll see.

Yeah, no skimmer.

mybuickskill6979

sweet. does it depend more on the bioload of the tank or is it never really a necessity just a nice thing to have? and does coral count as part of bioload?

Well, the idea behind a protein skimmer is to remove organic molecules, proteins, fats, lipids, and what not before they have a chance to be broken down by bacteria into nitrate, which feeds algae growth.

If you have a descent bioload, they can be useful, or if you are trying to maintain very high water quality to keep more delicate organisms. However if you were keeping things that like very nutrient rich water like soft corals, gorgonians, etc, they may actually thrive better in an unskimmed tank since skimming will remove some of the stuff they eat.

It is totally possible to maintain a tank w/o a skimmer. Most equipment like filters, skimmers, etc are just designed to help out.

Every living thing in the tank impacts the bioload. Some things will be more noticible that other though. For example you probably wont notice much with corals, but you will notice it with fish. You will notice it though, if you are heavily feeding your corals (which I also don't do).

UPDATE TIME!!!!

Pink Star Polyp w/ Whiteish/Green Centers:

pspvariety1.JPG

Green Star Polyp Variety 1 (Green center/Greent Tenti's):

gspvariety1.JPG

Green Star Polyp Variety 2 (Same as above, but brighter green tenti's):

gspvariety2.JPG

Green Star Polyp Variety 3 (Pink Center w/ Green Tenti's):

gspvariety3.JPG

Wow, I really sucked at taking pics this time. I need to borrow my sisters nikon!

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

Just recieve my package from SIX!

I am very happy! Great packaging, everything looks good, and she even threw in a bonus!! Very impressed!

Everything is still a little closed up but starting to open up, and has opened up quite a bit from when I took these pics 10 minutes ago. I'll post more pics when they open fully.

Galaxia (still closed):

galaxiaclosed.JPG

GSP (still closed) Looks like a minty neon green, but not sure yet! Very nice!:

gspvariety4fromsixclosed.JPG

Orange Polyps (still closed):

polyps1fromsixclosed.JPG

Orange Polyps 2 (still closed):

polyp3fromsixclosed.JPG

Wammin' Watermellons (still closed):

watermellonsfromsix.JPG

Thanks so much SIX! Things are opening and looking great. I'll try to get better pics when they open and/or see if I can get my hands on a better camera.

I still haven't changed the background from blue to black, so I'll do another FTS when everything is opened and when I get a chance to change the background.

Oh and I forgot Six sent me some little starts of encrusting gorgonian. This stuff is neat. I used to have it in my very first nano and had it all up and down the glass on one side of my tank. I added a new powerhead and it mutilated it. I haven't found a frag since, so I am so happy she had some of this! It is pretty small but I'll get pics of it once I get it situated somewhere.

New FTS (Sorry didn't get around to changing the background yet):

FTS_7.JPG

Stupid image resizing crap! Go to gallery and click on pic to see a nice big shot with some actual detail!

Travisurfer, the rule is, if the tank is not covered in hair algae, you're not going fast enough.

Coral only. I'm not feeding anything and have no fish, so I'm not too worried. Plus this tank is just satured with all sorts of sexy aerobic/anerobic bacteria.

I overdid it a bit on the green star polyp. Brought home a few starts from work and then forgot I had one coming from Six too. I guess I'll have something to trade though!

Well, the time has come in which I feel my poor little sony digital camera is no longer adequate to suit my needs.

I have been thinking for the last couple days about what camera I should buy, how much I want to spend, and if I need something simple or more advanced.

I decided not to spend very much and keep it simple.

Wait a second...that's not me. In fact I impulsively did the exact opposite.

Anyway, my new Nikon D50 DSLR w/ Nikkor 18-55mm DX Zoom lens, should be here early this week.

no, I'm serious. my dad works for a local newspaper that is selling off their d2H's for cannons. the biggest two reasons are quality and, well, quality ;)

the d2H's have undergone countless repairs even within a year of use. these repairs are costly, a few even had shutters crap out.

the other quality is the overall pic quality which canon still really takes the cake in.

there is a reason why the paper is spending $100,000 to replace their cameras that are already completely up-to-date as far as nikon goes. canon is just too far ahead for nikon to catch up. with that being said, the d70 I used for awhile was still pretty fun. :)

You're talking aboug professional grade dslrs though and I'm talking about entry level.

I've been researching whether to get the nikon d50 or canon XTi for over a year now. Reviews have consistantly stated that the differences are minor and mostly come down to personal preference. Reviews have state though that the nikon d50 produces the best right out of the camera results, while the canon XTi's photos are great, but often soft (which is obvious in side by side comparision of pics from both).

My decision basically came down to personal preference after checking both out at the store. For me, I don't like to edit my photos, as I have no editing software and don't plan to buy any, so having great photos right out of the camera is more appealing to me. Additionally the canon XTi is a bit small for my hands (and my hands are not that big). The nikon d50 was much more comfortable to hold. I will say though, that I think the canon XTi looks a bit nicer though. The nikon d50 is really nothing fancy or exciting from a cosmetic standpoint.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. And if I was rich I'd buy both, because I'm sure they are both great cameras and have great advantages in certain situations.

Archived