Coral Vue Hydros

[Stock] lgreen

lgreen

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure yet. At this point just corals. I am really trying to avoid anything I have to feed at this point. This tank really requires no attention besides fresh water top off ever few days and I dose some reef plus, reef complete, and reef builder about once a week. That's it really and I like it being that simple.

Most of my purchases are somewhat impulse based anyway, so I can say I don't plan too, but if something catches my eye, I might.

wow, very simple, yet striking! I love the red shrooms! hows idaho treating ya? ill be back there for christmas break soon enough, maybe we'll have to swap some frags if you want ;)

Thanks!

Idaho is cold, windy, and wet right now. Bogus is covered in snow though. Let me know when you get back, I might have some stuff for swappin by then.

ah bogus....... i miss those slopes (its where i learned to snowboard!) Ill be back round mid december, so we can see what can do then! Keep us posted on your tank, im loving it!

Update:

Photos of new growth

Galaxia (There was a dead spot when I got this and new polyps have emerged from the skeleton over the last week)

Galaxia_Regrowth.JPG

GSP Variety 2

GSP2_New_Growth.JPG

GSP Variety 1

GSP_New_Growth.JPG

Blue Polyps (looks like there might be a new one or two on the very bottom)

new_blue_polyps.JPG

Orange2 New Growth (you can see were new polyps have grown onto the rock below and to the side)

New_Orange2_Growth.JPG

2 New PPE Polyps!

First one

PPE_New_Polyp2.JPG

Second one

PPE_New_Polyp.JPG

And I have not done a single water change and have not had any algae growth. I'm going to get a water change in here shortly though, because we all know what happens when you push your luck too far. Plus, I'm sure a little water change would refresh some of the minerals and perhaps encourage some more growth.

The number of amphipods, copepods, and what not is unbelievable. Honestly, they clean the rock and sand better than hermit crabs, which is good since I didn't really want to add any anyways.

looks great. did you add any snails?

Just the two tiger astrea I mentioned before.

I was thinking about adding some nass. snails to mix up the sand, but things are going good and the sand is staying pretty clean suprisingly. I think I'd rather not add anything that is not absolutley necessary. Trying to keep the bioload to the absolute minimum.

Thanks adin.

This tank really is just unbelievable. I've never had a tank turn out so good. Like I said, I have not done a single water change and the tank has been up for over a month, and additionally I am using city water. I just tested the water here are the results (which I couldn't believe, so I repeated it 4 times to make sure):

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

pH: 8.2

Dang. I think this is the magic forumla: Premium Aquatics nano rock, Premium Aquatics rock pool grundge, Caribsea Arag-Alive sand, and getting some easy corals in there quickly to provide some nutrients in addition, just incase the live rock doesn't have enough die off to really get the bacteria going. I think some credit really goes to the diversity of life on Premium Aquatics live rock. The amount and variety of microorganisms is amazing, and serves, with the exception of two snails, as my entire clean up crew. The really keep the rock looking good. The coralline algae on the rock is amazing. I've never seen so many different colors. My heater is now starting to sprout some coralline spots. Again, I'm just blown away by how good things are doing considering I pretty much never touch the tank. I guess many reefers reef by a hand off approach though and have very good luck. I think the first water change will be tomorrow night. I'm sure things will be ticked of then for the rest of the night, but hopefully things will really look good by monday or tuesday.

I'd like to get some small leathers in tank, but our selection of corals at work has been kind of crappy lately since we are just coming out of our slow season. I'd really like to get a small white rasta leather, a small yellow umbrella, and a very small pink flower leather.

What do you guys think about sps? I'm really thinking 40w is probably too low even for the easier guys like monitpora caps? Worth a shot or skip? My uncle has some idaho grape, purple rimmed green, and neon orange, I'd like to get some little starts of.

This tank really is just unbelievable. I've never had a tank turn out so good. Like I said, I have not done a single water change and the tank has been up for over a month, and additionally I am using city water. I just tested the water here are the results (which I couldn't believe, so I repeated it 4 times to make sure):

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

pH: 8.2

Dang. I think this is the magic forumla: Premium Aquatics nano rock, Premium Aquatics rock pool grundge, Caribsea Arag-Alive sand, and getting some easy corals in there quickly to provide some nutrients in addition, just incase the live rock doesn't have enough die off to really get the bacteria going. I think some credit really goes to the diversity of life on Premium Aquatics live rock. The amount and variety of microorganisms is amazing, and serves, with the exception of two snails, as my entire clean up crew. The really keep the rock looking good. The coralline algae on the rock is amazing. I've never seen so many different colors. My heater is now starting to sprout some coralline spots. Again, I'm just blown away by how good things are doing considering I pretty much never touch the tank. I guess many reefers reef by a hand off approach though and have very good luck. I think the first water change will be tomorrow night. I'm sure things will be ticked of then for the rest of the night, but hopefully things will really look good by monday or tuesday.

I'd like to get some small leathers in tank, but our selection of corals at work has been kind of crappy lately since we are just coming out of our slow season. I'd really like to get a small white rasta leather, a small yellow umbrella, and a very small pink flower leather.

What do you guys think about sps? I'm really thinking 40w is probably too low even for the easier guys like monitpora caps? Worth a shot or skip? My uncle has some idaho grape, purple rimmed green, and neon orange, I'd like to get some little starts of.

This is a really cool tank.. Im suprised its done with only 40w of light! I would have gotten the 80w sat when I was thinking about doing a 10gal.. Thats awesome. :)

I think your way to low on lighting for the SPS...

When you tested your tap water did you do Ammonia / Phosphate? If not give it a shot. I know your tank is working out fine but you may as well... Thats awesome that you can use tap water.. I have been using it in my 55gal FOWLR for a long time now but the algae is rediculous compared to using RO/DI with my 2.5 gal!!!

Im gonna switch the 55gal over to RO/DI but I hate having to lug all that water from the LFS!!!

Thanks.

I agree with you about the sps.

Yeah, maybe. I have an ammonia kit, but not a phosphate kit. I might have to grab one and check just for fun.

Yeah, RO/DI can be a pain. I have an RO/DI unit, but I really see no difference whether I use it or not, so I figure why bother. Infact if anything, I'd say I've had better results with tap. Probably the same reason GARF uses tap water.

• 2 weeks later...
Sea_Of_Treachery

what is the tds in your tap? mines 122ppm, 0 out of my ro/di, i have an orange cap in my 26 with just 130w of pc. If you put the cap up high, i think it will do fine, you'll be surprised

lgreen, your husbandry skills are awesome! i am very happy for you and your tank, it looks fantastic! great work!

im glad my frags went to a great home! :) i cant believe how well those baby galaxias are doing! and the growth on your corals, wow!

if you want to do a leather, you should get a hold of some green polyp sarcophton from floorlord! his are awesome it will really look good in there.

also, watch those orange zoas, they spread like crazy! :)

Six,

Thanks for the great compliments. Now if I only had your photography skills!

Yes, those orange zoos are going nuts and so is your green star polyp. There is actually something really wild growing out of your gsp. I have no idea what it is, looks like a fluid filled sac w/ orange dots but I haven't tried poking it yet to see if it is a sac or solid. I'll have to get a pic. Best I can describe it is as looking like a tumor w/ neon orange spots!

Also, I noticed a new lunar eclipse polyp today. I'll have to get some updated shots after finals are done.

I almost forgot. I got an email a few days ago from the local reef club president asking if I wanted to be featured as tank of the month for December. I gladly accepted.

Six,

Thanks for the great compliments. Now if I only had your photography skills!

Yes, those orange zoos are going nuts and so is your green star polyp. There is actually something really wild growing out of your gsp. I have no idea what it is, looks like a fluid filled sac w/ orange dots but I haven't tried poking it yet to see if it is a sac or solid. I'll have to get a pic. Best I can describe it is as looking like a tumor w/ neon orange spots!

ohhh... no! i hope you didnt get my favorite friend, the orange ball corallimorph - (pseudocorynactis species)!!! google it and lmk if thats what it looks like. :)

Hmm...

No I don't think that's it.

It reminds me more of a juvinal undifferentiated leather or even just like a bubble in the star polyp mat. It looks like the texture of a leather or the gsp mat. The orange dots are sporatic, but patterened, looking as if they are meant to or will eventually have polyps. I don't know...I'll get a pic when I have some time. This could be interesting.

Update!

First, here is a pic of that weird aquarium STD I got from six:

unknown11.JPG

Blue Ricordias (with flash)

blue_ricordias.JPG

Blue Ricordias (without flash)

blue_ricordia_2.JPG

I decided to rescue some corals from work today. Some of these were looking about toast so I thought I'd bring them home and see if I can get them thriving once again.

Frogspawn 1

rescued_frogspawns.JPG

Rescued Blastos (2 types)

rescued_blastos_1_and_2.JPG

Rescued Blasto type 3

rescued_blasto_3.JPG

Neon Red Rescued Blasto

rescued_blasto_4.JPG

The tank is pretty ###ed off from me putting my hands in it and cleaning the glass, but heres a close up of the left side and an FTS. I'll post some pics of the progress of getting those other guys back in good shape.

Left Side

leftside3.JPG

(full size: http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/leftside3.JPG)

FTS

FTS101.JPG

Wow, that pic kind of sucks. Maybe I'll try again in a few minutes.

mahi mahi boy

Nice zoas, blastos and rics, lgreen. B) I had a hitchhiker SPS that looked similar to a leathery mat until its polyps started to come out.

Maybe six was hoping she didn't give away an orange ball anemone, because they are dank! I have the magenta colored cory.

Archived