Cultivated Reef

maaron

this is a maxima are u sure it needs all that light seems to open up all the way and does retract when a fish approaches.

lol anyway i got the clam real cheap so im not worried about losing money.

Clownfishcrazy1117

Not the point it's the clam I'm worried about. Someone is going to miss out on a clam if it dies.

this is a maxima are u sure it needs all that light seems to open up all the way and does retract when a fish approaches.

Here's a question and answer from a clams direct moderator concerning the lighting requirements of a maxima. Their forum has a lot of information about clam care.

Q - I'd love to add a small clam or two but I am concerned that my lighting may be inadequate. I have a new Coralife Lunar Aqualight Compact 36". It has a 96watt actinic and a 96 watt 10,000K, plus 2 tiny lunar lamps. 192 watts total.

Will clams survive in this lighting or are metal halides mandatory?

A - Hi Charlie-NY and welcome to the Clamsdirect forums..

Your lighting will be fine for one of the lower lighting needy clams. T. derasa, and T. squamosa. They will do fine for you. I would say you may want to give the system a bit longer to mature as clams need a very stable environment.

If you do see that you would like to keep a crocea clam or a maxima then you will definitely need to upgrade to halides.

15-and-6-GAL-NANO

In defense of PC's i have heard of and seen people keeping maximas under them a friend of mine had one alive that i know of for a couple of years under PC's. It is probably still around but i have moved and lost touch since then. But he is one of the VERY few success stories of clams under them. I just yesterday saw the coolest 2.5 inch long maxima clam at my LFS and i wanted it so bad (it was only $20) but i just knew i couldnt have it. I was going to put it in my 2 gallon and i now have a 9w actenic, 9w 10k K, and one 13w 50/50. thats 31 watts almost 16 watts per gallon and it would only be about 6-7 inches from the lights and i still talked myself out of it.

I was going to put it in my 2 gallon and i now have a 9w actenic, 9w 10k K, and one 13w 50/50. thats 31 watts almost 16 watts per gallon and it would only be about 6-7 inches from the lights and i still talked myself out of it.

Watts per gallon mean squat when it comes to Clams. It is all about the intensity of the lights, and you can only get that with MH.

Bob

so what happened with the clam? take it back? going to let it die a slow and moserable death?

just an FYI - it is very difficult to judge the health of a clam. clams typically die a slow, long, painful death, especially if they are being starved. the only real indication of a clams health is long term life. these are tricky animals and trying to push the limis like this usually ends in failure - and often times a tank crash since they nuke your water when they finally die.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ C'mon--please? You don't need to have those guys looking out at me--please???

Anyway---HEY I WILL BUY YOUR FREAKIN' CLAM AND GIVE IT A GREAT HOME--I SWEAR!

Where are you located? I will take it off your hands before you kill it. If you only paid a few bucks then you can make a couple off of me.

PM ME--cuz-I'm pm'ing you!

oh I bought this endangered species for cheap so lets not give it proper care.

i dont care about the money i lose! as long as it keeps my tank pretty for a week!

You bet! Mow-ron said "....all the naysayers.....blah blah...they said I couldn't do saltwater in a 12 gallon....blah...blah...blah...."

Mow-ron didn't have to prove anything to me-- I just saw a chance to get a cheap clam! :bling:

They said they would rather bring it back to the LFS than to ship it to me! fingerscrossed

So maybe it will go back to the LFS.

I hope the LFS gets it, and someone who actually did their research takes care of it.

And if she thinks she has proved something by keeping a nano for two months then she's wrong, obviously.

Gad-dang it people, so much flames! Why not just be civil (read: not a kindergartener) and leave whats been said alone, and let them make their own decision, rather than reinforcing it by being a tard? We all make poor decisions/ mistakes, I use to have a maxima in my 2.5G for over a year, with growth and everything, under four 13w bulbs. You know what? It nuked! Freakin heatwave came and did that... Might as frickin' well call me an idiot too.

Just let him learn for himself, Lets not start an endless thread of insanity... Remember the crinoid thread?

Gad-dang it people, so much flames! Why not just be civil (read: not a kindergartener) and leave whats been said alone, and let them make their own decision, rather than reinforcing it by being a tard? We all make poor decisions/ mistakes, I use to have a maxima in my 2.5G for over a year, with growth and everything, under four 13w bulbs. You know what? It nuked! Freakin heatwave came and did that... Might as frickin' well call me an idiot too.

Just let him learn for himself, Lets not start an endless thread of insanity... Remember the crinoid thread?

too many wannabee coral huggers on N-R.

if u want to save a clam, start by not buying one from the industry.

i'm not going to call you an idiot for having it under 52 watts in a 2.5.

It was just the reaction to the posts of NR members that made me flame.

Mow-ron is an idiot because of the messages to me -- not for keeping a clam somewhere--I could care less about the "coral hugging" aspect and thought I could get a clam for a couple bucks.

So yeah--if you messaged me in the same way as mow-ron, when I was just letting them know I would buy it if they decided to get rid of it, I would call you an idiot too--and it would have nothing to do with your wattage or clam.

Archived