Coral Vue Hydros

maaron

how big is it? If its under 2.5in then you need to feed it pytho. If its larger than that it strictly feeds on light. You can tell its doing well by the growth rings on the sides. Look at the side of the clam and if you can see white around the edge of the shell then it has growth. Also does it open well? If you run your hand over the water and make a shadow where it is does it close?

Galloping Goose

Maaron!

If the clam is small (2.4 inches or smaller) it does need to be fed phyto. If it is bigger than dont worry about feeding it, and make sure it gets good light (metal halides). The best way to feed a clam is this: Take for example an empty plastic coke bottle, cut off the bottom and the top so only a cilinder remains from this bottle. Than place the cillinder over the clam. This isolates the clam and when you put in your phyto to feed it, it will all remain for the clam and not get thrown around and deluted all over your aquarium. This is called spot feeding. Like "thatfisguy" said...if you see "white like rim" on the edges of the top of the clam, than youre clam is doing well and growing. Once again, the feeding process is only for small clams. Hope this helps.

thanks guys,

yes it opens well and closes when i come near. it has footed itself on a rock which makes it hard to spot feed.

what i have been doing is turning the powerhead off and using a turkey baster fire some over it.

That will work. You can still add phyto to your tank even when the clam is bigger. Clams will still filter feed till the day they die, they just don't have to do it to live and be happy. Metal Halides will keep it happy and healthy, but they do like to filter feed. After all, don't you like a snack once in a while ;)

i would recommend you don't give it a phyto bath.

just dose some phyto in your tank a few times a week and this will be sufficient. if you give it a phyto bath they will take up most phyto but reject most of it again as they cannot take that much in at one time.

they filter feed slowly throughout the day, not a one time sitting.

You know what...Im not going to say anything because there will be someone that will post "I have a clam under a dx stock lights and is doing great". Even though we all know it's bull...t.

2 months is nothing. Your clam will die. Take it back to the LFS. 48 Watts, is nowhere near the light needed to keep Clams. Good job with your research. *sarcasm*

D

wow 2 months.....talk about long term success....Figuring some clams can live 250+years...

Oh man 250+ years. I wonder who's going to take care of mine when im gone?

I have a clam in a 5 gallon with an incandescent 25 watt bulb I like it because it keeps my yellow tang and mandarin company. B)

That's the funniest thing I've read in weeks! :haha:omgomgomg

Instead of blasting him with sarcasm and such...just advise him on what is needed for the clam when it gets bigger. Only one poster said as much. MH will be needed in the future of course. Its not needed now...right? Feeding is what is needed now..right? Its real easy to upgrade the all in ones now with MH..and I am sure he will when its required. He hasnt posted again to this thread fearing more ridicule. peace :)

Archived