Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

EZ's AP 12

ezcompany

hmmm. an obta? lol

Wow, a RBTA in a 12, that will add to your bio-load and it will quickly outgrow the tank. I have one that was at least 12 inches in diameter before it split. It is in a 20G w/ a 5 gallon fuge, and I have to do large water changes every week since it consumes multiple table shrimp/silversides a week. A pic of mine is currently on www.reefbuzz.com as POTM (shameless plug B) )

You can always frag yours as it starts to gro though! It is a pretty R/OBTA.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, a RBTA in a 12, that will add to your bio-load and it will quickly outgrow the tank. I have one that was at least 12 inches in diameter before it split. It is in a 20G w/ a 5 gallon fuge, and I have to do large water changes every week since it consumes multiple table shrimp/silversides a week. A pic of mine is currently on www.reefbuzz.com as POTM (shameless plug B) )

You can always frag yours as it starts to gro though! It is a pretty R/OBTA.

yeah, the plan was to only have the obta and the clowns in there. i'm well aware of how big these suckers get, clones will be sold. as with bioload this tank has seen higher bioload before, so i'm not too concerned.

the yasha goby died. another expensive lesson learned: NEVER BUY FISH UNACCLIMATED TO THE LFS, as in straight from the wholesale. well, i already knew this but lacked the patience as i hardly shop at LFS's.

yeah, the plan was to only have the obta and the clowns in there. i'm well aware of how big these suckers get, clones will be sold. as with bioload this tank has seen higher bioload before, so i'm not too concerned.

the yasha goby died. another expensive lesson learned: NEVER BUY FISH UNACCLIMATED TO THE LFS, as in straight from the wholesale. well, i already knew this but lacked the patience as i hardly shop at LFS's.

I fight hair algae in my 20 whenever I miss a water change – but that may be because I feed the RBTA’s very heavy and the skimmer on the tank is not that good.

Mine has split three times, but I have yet to actually try to manually clone any of them by cutting. Some day… I put one of the clones in my 110G tank that has a lot of flow and strong lights. The RBTA does not like it. It hides in a cave. It got much lighter in color, probably due to the stronger lights. It is also stringy. The tomato clown feeds it chunks of shrimp for me, which is good because I can’t get to its home easily. Anyway, I am not sure why it is so unhappy there since the water quality in that tank is much better. It is either the high flow or the bright lights. It seems to have hidden from the flow, so perhaps it gets too much light, but that does not seem right based on what I have read – especially at the bottom of a 24 inch deep tank. Perhaps it does not like the chemicals from all of the SPS/zoas – but I run carbon and skim heavy. I am a bit baffled as I have seen them do well in other SPS tanks.

Good luck. I like the color pattern of your. I toy with setting up big BTA/clown only tank some day.

I fight hair algae in my 20 whenever I miss a water change – but that may be because I feed the RBTA’s very heavy and the skimmer on the tank is not that good.

Mine has split three times, but I have yet to actually try to manually clone any of them by cutting. Some day… I put one of the clones in my 110G tank that has a lot of flow and strong lights. The RBTA does not like it. It hides in a cave. It got much lighter in color, probably due to the stronger lights. It is also stringy. The tomato clown feeds it chunks of shrimp for me, which is good because I can’t get to its home easily. Anyway, I am not sure why it is so unhappy there since the water quality in that tank is much better. It is either the high flow or the bright lights. It seems to have hidden from the flow, so perhaps it gets too much light, but that does not seem right based on what I have read – especially at the bottom of a 24 inch deep tank. Perhaps it does not like the chemicals from all of the SPS/zoas – but I run carbon and skim heavy. I am a bit baffled as I have seen them do well in other SPS tanks.

Good luck. I like the color pattern of your. I toy with setting up big BTA/clown only tank some day.

mine has been creeping right under my 70watt metal halide. it also enjoys low flow in the tank. in the wild however you'll see them swaying under very gentle flow. this set up has no skimmer, only carbon and filter pads. i'm guessing your set up has too much flow, what do you have in there in terms of pumps etc.?

your picassos are getting to be much better looking than when i first saw them from the rap thread

oh yeah i remember i was supposed to kill you for that comment :angry:

mine has been creeping right under my 70watt metal halide. it also enjoys low flow in the tank. in the wild however you'll see them swaying under very gentle flow. this set up has no skimmer, only carbon and filter pads. i'm guessing your set up has too much flow, what do you have in there in terms of pumps etc.?

Possibly. The ones in the 20 are happy with a couple of Maxjets for circulation. A 1200 and a 900 I think. They are actually under 130W PCs. They open up nicely and only reach way up for light if I don't feed them for a while. I have a 250MH for that tank but I have not put it on yet. It may be too much anyway.

In the 110, there are two Tunze streams on a multi-controller that alternates them on and off and a Mag 9 sump return pump with around 800GPH after head loss. Probably about 40x turnover total. It is geared for SPS. However, the RBTA's home is between a corner overflow and the side of the rock-scape. There is almost no flow there and its tentacles are stringy not withdrawn. Lights are 250MHx2 and VHO55x4. It gets plenty of light, if anything too much. Perhaps it expeled its zooanthellae when it was moved to the tank and has never really recovered, but that is hard to believe since they can hide from light if need be.

I just picked up a purple monster frag from a local reefer tonight. He has an RBTA in his sump (it has a MH pendant over it) that he never even feeds and it is growing. His system is loaded with high end SPS colonies, some of which are 5+ years old. The system is very large though - 300 gallon display, 120 gallon display, 50 gallong frag, 70 gallons of sump, 4 foot skimmer, etc... His RBTA receives lower flow and high light.

i'm sure the rbta in ur friend's tank is feeding off of lots of live goodies!

Ronnie, your 2nd in line cuz Kelly is before you. Normally i'd have you two wrestle for the spot but Kelly isn't the female kind -_-

i'm sure the rbta in ur friend's tank is feeding off of lots of live goodies!

Yep. I am just amazed that any closed system could provide enough live plankton for an RBTA - even a 500 gallon one. There is not even a clown in the sump with it to help feed it.

Yep. I am just amazed that any closed system could provide enough live plankton for an RBTA - even a 500gallon one. There is not even a clown in the sump with to help feed it.

i've been hearing conflicting info on feeding, some say you never need to feed, some say you must feed at least once a week. i always thought an occasional feeding (once every 2 weeks) would work.

i've been hearing conflicting info on feeding, some say you never need to feed, some say you must feed at least once a week. i always thought an occasional feeding (once every 2 weeks) would work.

I have never read not to feed, although I have now seen proof that it can be done ;-) His was under 250MH and he probably has 500lb of live rock in the system.

Under VHOs I have to feed 2/3 times a week in the 20 or they whither away. Wild clowns will feed them for you as well. My captive raised Ocelaris steal from them though instead of feeding them B) - they missed that class in school.

I have never read not to feed, although I have now seen proof that it can be done ;-) His was under 250MH and he probably has 500lb of live rock in the system.

Under VHOs I have to feed 2/3 times a week in the 20 or they whither away. Wild clowns will feed them for you as well. My captive raised Ocelaris steal from them though instead of feeding them B) - they missed that class in school.

mmm. my picassos have yet to host on the bta. the bta has never accepted food yet, i'm going to try again in a few days.

mmm. my picassos have yet to host on the bta. the bta has never accepted food yet, i'm going to try again in a few days.

Mine are all captive raised clones, but I have only seen them refuse food when they are full - so that should be a good sign. I have fed them silversides soaked in selcon, table shrimp soaked in selcon, mysis and frozen formula one. All portions are cut to 1/4 inch sizes. They eat like pigs ;-)

I went on vacation a year ago, and the RBTAs in the 20 did not get fed for over a week and shriveled up. They barely took a few mysis for a few days (placed almost in their mouth) and I thought they were goners - but they recovered with daily feedings.

Mine are all captive raised clones, but I have only seen them refuse food when they are full - so that should be a good sign. I have fed them silversides soaked in selcon, table shrimp soaked in selcon, mysis and frozen formula one. All portions are cut to 1/4 inch sizes. They eat like pigs ;-)

I went on vacation a year ago, and the RBTAs in the 20 did not get fed for over a week and shriveled up. They barely took a few mysis for a few days (placed almost in their mouth) and I thought they were goners - but they recovered with daily feedings.

i see, i'll do my best to feed mine then.

in other news...the pipe is no more....sigh

:angry:

That was a good looking fish! Did it just not eat?

yeah, i don't understand it at all. it ate the first night, cyclopeeze and mysis, but after that it went downhill. i think the tank was too small. my fault entirely either way :(

:(

i heard they were one of the toughest to get to feed, the orange banded one. just my luck.

anyways, as promised, my new sucka:

img0290ds3.jpg

sorry for the bad pic, thats the only one i have right now. its currently under my rock.

Ronnie, your 2nd in line cuz Kelly is before you. Normally i'd have you two wrestle for the spot but Kelly isn't the female kind -_-

Please stop disrespecting the female reefers of this forum... But I'm down to wrestle for it if she is... ;)

fine... "kelly" better appreciate it tho :angry::P

Don't worry... We'll make sure you get a RBTA from one of us sooner or later. :)

"Kelly"

lol that doesn't look like a bta.

maybe Heteractis magnifica

not necessarily a bad thing if it isn't a bta... just MOVE IT

lol that doesn't look like a bta.

maybe Heteractis magnifica

not necessarily a bad thing if it isn't a bta... just MOVE IT

move it?

we're still debating over at RC. people think its a hitteri

Archived