SaltCritters.com

New Contest Poll

ereefer

New Contest  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to enter a new nano contest?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. what size reef do you want to participate in?

• 1 gal
    • 2.5 gal
    • 5 gal
    • 10 gal
  3. 3. Entry fee

• $20
    • $15

the contest tanks should defiately not be an larger than 5 gallons...otherwise there is no challenge. everything for the 10 gallon has been done and it takes from creativity. I dont think there is any challenge in setting up a nice succesfful 10 gallon tank...5 gallon would be pretty sweet

yea! i agree. 5.5 would rock. plus, i already have a 10, so i don't want another.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SLOreefer

I think biotype would be cool too....also about someone else arranging the contest, as long as credit is given to nr i dont see why it would be a problem...the only thing is liability incase something goes wrong because of the money involved....thats bad publicity...i know its a reefing website and talk about publicity but you all know murphys law

A biotope is an aquarium that represents a specific habitat - for instance, an Indo-Pacific fore reef, or a Caribbean patch reef, or a seagrass bed, etc. All the inhabitants of the tank would be those found in that specific habitat. They tend to be simpler (in style, not difficulty), with a handful of endemic species, instead of the usual conglomerate typical of most tanks.

The difficulty comes in choosing livestock. Not only are you limited by a specific geographic range or reef type, but you also have to take into consideration the usuals of compatability, etc.

Fishfreak218
Fish, you're hilarious. Find me a place that sells Diploria, hehe. Oh well.

5 gallon would be nice. I'm still down for the biotope.

Round and round we go...

You mean you dont see those at your LFS?? :o:huh:

LOL you got me :D:P;)

Your getting ahead of yourself a bit i think.If it happens it wont be like tomorrow.JMO

whats the problem here? We start a final poll, take the vote from that and call it official . Any suggestions on the questions?

Biotope, size, categories, .......etc

I guess if we get this going ourselves and find someone to be the "trustee" for the money and prizes we are all good right?

patience, you must learn. or NR contest you will have not.

give the mods a few days, they had said they wanted a break in-between and i think chris is a little short-handed right now(?). i haven't seen gil or oc in a while. :ninja:

and i think they want to apply what they've learned from the nc and pico contest to be more streamlined and easier for everyone.

Mmm... streamlined... works for me. I just got back from the LFS, and it was an effort to postpone buying all kinds of junk for a new tank. If whatever contest pops up fits what I want to do, may as well wait for it.

Fishfreak218

SAVE UP NOW!!!

while they have their brake.... which is completly understandable... we can save up for the next contest... JMO

patience, you must learn. or NR contest you will have not.

give the mods a few days, they had said they wanted a break in-between and i think chris is a little short-handed right now(?). i haven't seen gil or oc in a while.

and i think they want to apply what they've learned from the nc and pico contest to be more streamlined and easier for everyone.

totally agree! plus, i need some time to come up with a couple hundred bucks for a new custom 5.5g tank :lol:

start recruting new mods too!!! :P

don't tell me about patience, i just missed the pico by a day, i have been waiting since then. It's not like the initial contest setup is hard, this isn't much work, so i don't want to hear that either. Just do it, i am so bored with lame forums. Not neccesarily here either. contests keep posts up

don't tell me about patience, i just missed the pico by a day, i have been waiting since then. It's not like the initial contest setup is hard, this isn't much work, so i don't want to hear that either. Just do it, i am so bored with lame forums. Not neccesarily here either. contests keep posts up

tell that to the people (me included) who plan on doing a fully custom contest tank worth keeping. true, buying an aga tank, throwing a few powerheads and a light on it and calling it a day would be easy, but is that the point of the contest? the contest should be a place to show your most innovative and experimental ideas, and see if it works! if you are bored with lame forums, get off your ass and go outside!

tell that to the people (me included) who plan on doing a fully custom contest tank worth keeping. true, buying an aga tank, throwing a few powerheads and a light on it and calling it a day would be easy, but is that the point of the contest? the contest should be a place to show your most innovative and experimental ideas, and see if it works! if you are bored with lame forums, get off your ass and go outside!

you got me wrong bro, I don't want a stupid power head and light tank,I also want a tank to keep. I didn't say setting up everyone's tank was going to be easy, ESTABLISHING A CONTEST IS. I already did a lil less than half the work.

And as for forums, nevermind I wasn't even talking about here, it was vented frustration, and I go outside plenty thanks!

I cannot speak for anyone else, but here's my piece: I would much rather sit on my hands and wait patiently for N-R.com to sponsor the next contest, whatever and whenever that may be, than to join a makeshift contest. It's nice to know the Powers are regulating things, instead of us peons regulating ourselves, you know?

you got me wrong bro, I don't want a stupid power head and light tank,I also want a tank to keep. I didn't say setting up everyone's tank was going to be easy, ESTABLISHING A CONTEST IS. I already did a lil less than half the work.

And as for forums, nevermind I wasn't even talking about here, it was vented frustration, and I go outside plenty thanks!

sorry about the misunderstanding. B) i don't think setting up the contest is as easy as you think though.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but here's my piece: I would much rather sit on my hands and wait patiently for N-R.com to sponsor the next contest, whatever and whenever that may be, than to join a makeshift contest. It's nice to know the Powers are regulating things, instead of us peopns regulating ourselves, you know?

exactly

It's nice to know the Powers are regulating things, instead of us peons regulating ourselves, you know?
self-regulating impairs your vision.

"makeshift" is an insulting word. My only objective is to help expedite the process for a contest as far as number of people willing to join and entrance fee. I don't want anything "half-assed" as you imply.

p.o.t.u.s
"makeshift" is an insulting word. My only objective is to help expedite the process for a contest as far as number of people willing to join and entrance fee. I don't want anything "half-assed" as you imply.

Relax. Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.

Just so you know, the "Mommy Mommy, can we have a contest? Can we have a contest now!!! How about now? Now!!!" approach is not particularly endearing.

Relax. Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.

Just so you know, the "Mommy Mommy, can we have a contest? Can we have a contest now!!! How about now? Now!!!" approach is not particularly endearing.

Is it endearing now?!?!?!?! What about now?!?!?!? When will it be endearing?!?!?!?!

deacon hemp

That was my point no need to rush it! Let it fall into place it will make it much better,more people will have time to get ready.

Archived