Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Contest Poll

ereefer

New Contest  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to enter a new nano contest?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. what size reef do you want to participate in?

• 1 gal
    • 2.5 gal
    • 5 gal
    • 10 gal
  3. 3. Entry fee

• $20
    • $15

Alright, We have a lot of people willing to do this. Any moderators wanna step in here and take control of a new contest???

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aussieboy

When do ya's reckon this new contest will start up?

im really keen on this an will do any size tank except 50gal bigger-

Charlie97L
When do ya's reckon this new contest will start up?

im really keen on this an will do any size tank except 50gal bigger-

i think to have good turnout it'll have to be like a 10-20 gallon... more than that and it sort of becomes a "who's willing to spend the most money" contest, with costs jumping quite a bit for equipment. plus most people here already have tanks ,and setting up ANOTHER one over 20 gallons can be difficult with spouses, space, etc. just my $0.02.

or the contest could be broken down into cost groups. i figure you couls outfit a 5.5g tank with basic equipment (no livestock, rock, etc) for about $100. so make three price groups, the sub $100 tank, the sub $200 tank, and the unlimited group. then everyone can enter and compete with people who are under similar cost constraints (at least as far as equipment goes, which in theory should limit the livestock somewhat).

rebelreefer

I dont know if cost is a good control. Some people have extra equipment laying around like lights, pumps, heaters, etc. and they'd be able to spend more money on livestock and such.

People like me...with nothing...would have to move into a higher cost category with possibly a much smaller tank than others in the same group just to stay in the contest.

rebelreefer

Yeah, I thought about the receipt thing too but I think you'd lose people if they were told they couldnt use that spare maxijet or heater or coralife light they had hanging around.

Man, if I had spare equipment laying around and came home with a new pump for this thing, my wife would smack me and mumble something about me being even more stupid than she thinks already. :lol:

well, let people use their spare equipment, but price out what it would cost to buy new and subtract that from their total. i'm just trying to think of a way to keep it fair for people of all stages of reef poverty.

Definately! Any excuse to set up a 1 gallon! What kind of dimensions would that be? (Not very familiar with US gallons :D Only UK ones :P)

DW, got it! 8" x 6" x 5", now that would be interesting :D

Definately! Any excuse to set up a 1 gallon! What kind of dimensions would that be? (Not very familiar with US gallons :D Only UK ones :P)

thanks

Is there a moderator in the building????? Hello, can you hear me now?

aussieboy

Now that sounds like alot of fun,

I really want to set a pico but what ever way the contest go's i will be going...

Guys, I don't think they'll even consider a new contest until the current one is complete. Patience, people - patience! :)

Guys, I don't think they'll even consider a new contest until the current one is complete. Patience, people - patience! :)

sad but true. so everyone: start planning a generic tank of an arbitrary size that can conform to any contest restrictions (size, cost, equipment, livestock, lighting, etc). that should keep everyone busy for at least 10 minutes. then, when you are done with that, start trying to convinve your bf/gf/fiance/husband/wife/anyone else who cares to let you build {i]ANOTHER[/i] tank. by the time you are done with that, it shouldbe contest time.

that shouldn't be the case. Didn't the nano cube contest run through the pico? and if we are willing to pay then maybe we should decide when it starts. I haven't seen so much as a word from a rep from this site. Is anyone there?

hi,

i never meant to imply that there should be an entrance fee. i was just trying to remind everyone how generous a few of our forum sponsors have been in supporting our previous/recent contests.

hi,

i never meant to imply that there should be an entrance fee. i was just trying to remind everyone how generous a few of our forum sponsors have been in supporting our previous/recent contests.

i actually think it is a decent idea. why should you guys (mods and admins) have to go around scrounging up sponsors and free prizes for the general masses to compete in some contest. if people are willing to pay a small entrance fee, let 'em. it will probably reduce the number of dropouts too!

any issue involving money is completely up to CM, but in my opinion it would really complicate things

Fishfreak218
Except brains and jawfish aren't found in seagrass beds...

a Quote from Sarah Lardizabal in her recent artical called Beyond the Refugium: Seagrass Aquaria

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php

"In terms of coral populations, both hard and soft corals are found in this environment and, like the fish, vary by the seagrass bed's location. These include but are not limited to: star corals - Montastraea, brain coral - Diploria labryinthiformis, fire coral - Millepora alcicornis, Gorgonia, Fungia, Porites, Heliopora, Sarcophyton, Sinularia and Nehpthea. Cnidarians such as tube anemones, flower anemones and even Cassiopeia jellyfish may be appropriate, though require more specialized tanks. "

But ya your right about the Jawfish doh!... lolol... what i meant to say was Bangaii Cardinal ;):P

it will probably reduce the number of dropouts too!
that was my main thought/hope.

but i was also thinking minimal fee, $5 (paypal it). nothing says 'booyah' like 'moolah'.

that was my main thought/hope.

but i was also thinking minimal fee, $5 (paypal it). nothing says 'booyah' like 'moolah'.

$5, $15, whatever. it is all a pretty small price to pay compared to the overall cost of the tank! plus, if it limits the contestants to the seriously interested, it will be easier to sort through all the threads when everything gets going.

plus, if it limits the contestants to the seriously interested, it will be easier to sort through all the threads when everything gets going.
very true, good point.
SLOreefer

the contest tanks should defiately not be an larger than 5 gallons...otherwise there is no challenge. everything for the 10 gallon has been done and it takes from creativity. I dont think there is any challenge in setting up a nice succesfful 10 gallon tank...5 gallon would be pretty sweet

[snip]

Fish, you're hilarious. Find me a place that sells Diploria, hehe. Oh well.

5 gallon would be nice. I'm still down for the biotope.

Round and round we go...

any issue involving money is completely up to CM, but in my opinion it would really complicate things

well get the CM on the horn! We have about $500 ready to go..... how bout it?

Archived