Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Contest Poll

ereefer

New Contest  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to enter a new nano contest?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. what size reef do you want to participate in?

• 1 gal
    • 2.5 gal
    • 5 gal
    • 10 gal
  3. 3. Entry fee

• $20
    • $15

BlndFshNoIz

Like everyone who did not enter the last contest, I followed it pretty closely. Second, like many I have another tank that I am setting up/ is set up and space is limited. I like the idea of a cost basis tank that was mentioned earlier. One of the requirements would be listing costs. People could use equipment they already have but they would have to list it as the new cost. Almost everyone buys equipment online so that would be pretty consistent but the cost of shipping should not be a factor in the final cost. LR and other livestock varies too but pretty consistent.

Another consideration could be experience level. Have <1 yr, 1 - 2 yr, and 2+ or something along those lines.

I know that many people want to start now but I think that the contest should be finalized first and allow people time to get equipment and ideas.

Also not sure about the entry fee. What would it go to such as prizes etc.? Would it not be cool just to be able to brag? B)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cost brackets might not be a bad idea.

instead of Custom/Stock whatever, you limit costs as suggested.

you can have <$500, >$500, <$1000, and 'money pit'

BlndFshNoIz

Tiny,

Nice contest tank BTW.

I know this is an expensive hobby and all but $1000 on a 5 gal. tank is very skerry. :o Yes skerry was on purpose. I think my wife would just shoot me where I stood. My 95 gal with everything cost <$2K. Regardless, I think either cost, experience, or interesting idea (whatever that would mean) could be considered. Also, I too believe that time should be given to set up a proper contest. If it started in the next 30 days I would miss out again.

Another issue would be length of contest. Could that be something everyone voted on? That is unless the mods decided to finalize everything which would be cool too.

thanks, blind! :happy:

but i was thinking multiple sizes too. maybe up to the new oceanic 30g cube even. (we can bend the nano definition for a cool tank :lol: )

that way even if you get a number of different formats, there's still the cost limitations. i think you'd get more participation if more sizes and shapes are available to the contestants.

but you could fashion the rules in any shape still to allot for a Stock category again (simpler parameters) or all-out Custom (uber-reefing). it's a bit complicated when you think about it because you really don't want a complete free-for-all contest that would make judging and casual comparison a nightmare.

apophis924

I do like the Nano Reef Contest,, But How the winners are decided I question,I have seen some pics That without question have been better than the so called "winner" in these contest, there is a "good Ole boy network" At any rate i enjoy the pics and there are much more important things to deal with then the integrity of the judging of Nano-Reef contest.

but the voting was public.

i really shouldn't comment because i participated in the contest but i thought it was as fair as you can get (the way it was set up to judge). i would've preferred to win but i'm leaving that to the final re-count of the disputed ballots from Florida. :P

awesome idea on the .75 gal. I don't want the contest to start tommorow as you believe, i am not that antsy, i just want us to come up with what we really want for a contest, these are some really good idea's. Let's pick out a size...?

aussieboy

I think thats a good idea about finding the size, doesn't mean we have to start soon but if we find the size than i know what to save for...

aussieboy

Yeh i voted for a 5 aswel,

weird thing is i have 2 brand new tanks giving to me one's a 10gal an ones a 5gal, an they where given to me about 6 months ago so im easy either way but 5.gal would be very cool

Grantlington

would be good for a 5

not too big and not overly small

and will 'probably' cost less to run in the contest

ReefApprentice

Here is my idea. 5 gallon contest, any shape you want. There are three categories. Under 200$, 200-300$, and over. You can determine this using one website such as drfostersmith or marine depot. When you write a list of equipment you must post price and a link for the product on one of three websites lets say. This is just for all equipment, NO ADD-ONS, and sand and live rock. We could just say 4.00 per lb for LR and .99$ per pound for LS. Corals and fish are up to you.

Alex

Here is my idea. 5 gallon contest, any shape you want. There are three categories. Under 200$, 200-300$, and over. You can determine this using one website such as drfostersmith or marine depot. When you write a list of equipment you must post price and a link for the product on one of three websites lets say. This is just for all equipment, NO ADD-ONS, and sand and live rock. We could just say 4.00 per lb for LR and .99$ per pound for LS. Corals and fish are up to you.

Alex

see the following post from last week and the response that followed. also, your numbers seem waaaaay low to me. everyone would be in the above $300 level!

or the contest could be broken down into cost groups. i figure you couls outfit a 5.5g tank with basic equipment (no livestock, rock, etc) for about $100. so make three price groups, the sub $100 tank, the sub $200 tank, and the unlimited group. then everyone can enter and compete with people who are under similar cost constraints (at least as far as equipment goes, which in theory should limit the livestock somewhat).

I don't think cost is a good option to choose really. Say if someones light unit packs up half way through, then they will have to have the cost fo 2 on their budget, and if you want to upgrade equipment etc same thing.

I don't think cost makes a huuuge difference anyway, course you need money to set it up in the first place, but it can still look amazing with next to no budget.

ReefApprentice

I like the 20g idea for a long term contest. Like how there was pico and nano cube. There could be 5 gallon and 20 gallon, or something such as that.

Alex

I like the 20g idea for a long term contest. Like how there was pico and nano cube. There could be 5 gallon and 20 gallon, or something such as that.

Alex

I like this idea too, just don't know how many takers you'll have on a 20g contest. I'm not sure that money is the best way to subdivide things, but there should be some subdivision beyond the tank sizes. Cost is the only thing I could think of. It might also be neat to have a database of tanks (such as contest tanks) with their costs for new people to see, just to get an idea of the costs involved in this hobby. If anyone has a better idea as to how the subdivision should work, let us know! Lighting? Hobby experience? East coast - west coast? :lol:

Fishfreak218

oh... ill be setting up my 30g. Cube in a few days and plan to keep track of how much i spend for the tank for newbies

East coast - west coast? :lol:
let's not start that stuff again! i still look over my shoulder whenever i hear a pistol shrimp snap! :ninja:
let's not start that stuff again! i still look over my shoulder whenever i hear a pistol shrimp snap! :ninja:

and I will be the first to go :huh:

I like two sizes maybe 5 and 10, the two most popular votes. Have the 10 gallon be stock and the 5 gallon be open. This would keep costs down too. any specs on what we should base judging on up front?

I like two sizes maybe 5 and 10, the two most popular votes. Have the 10 gallon be stock and the 5 gallon be open. This would keep costs down too. any specs on what we should base judging on up front?

best idea so far! i was pretty happy with the way the last contest was run. it really should be more about making tank progression than stuffing your most expensive corals in there and snapping a few shots, so i am all about a long term contest. the only other thing i could think to add would be a subcategory for the best equipment setup. that might encourage more people to go all diy crazy.

aussieboy

I agree thats a very good idea

:D

Archived