Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Contest Poll

ereefer

New Contest  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to enter a new nano contest?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. what size reef do you want to participate in?

• 1 gal
    • 2.5 gal
    • 5 gal
    • 10 gal
  3. 3. Entry fee

• $20
    • $15

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a $0 entry fee... hehe

lets vote on the "type" of contest too... bio-type, open, stock, etc...

I for one think a 10gal or under biotype would be challenging and very interesting... with "stock"-like rules the contest would be even more challenging and perhaps make voting/judging easier; with "custom/open"-like rules an aquarist's imagination could go wild yet it would still be confined by the bio-type's parameters.

hi, please discontinue spamming other reef forums with this thread. thanks.

ok sorry just thought we all liked this hobby without intersite problems. My bad

ok sorry just thought we all liked this hobby without intersite problems. My bad
i think other sites view it as chris/NR trying to edge into their membership/traffic even though he's not.

you need other choices in the tanks section (20g, 20g+, or maybe range 15~20, etc.).

same on the entry fee: $10, $5, $0. a minimal fee wouldn't be too bad, kinda obligates the contestant to a minor degree to actually compete/complete (i.e. vested interest).

rebelreefer

Well, I gotta say I'm sorta hesitant to join something like this since Ive only ever done Freshwater (this being my first comment here and all)...but..BUT..

After watching the last pico contest thats just winding down, it sure seems like it was fun. Lots of good ideas were traded with lots of support...something a newbie like me would need.

My only concern is time. Am I right in thinking most of you that do these things have another tank full of goodies to start with? That would put someone like me with absolutely nothing to start with at a disavantage (and yes, by disadvantage, I also mean broke) wouldnt it...well...that and my stupidity?

Even if I didnt do one, I found the custom contest full of good insight and will be following along with the next one.

Well, I gotta say I'm sorta hesitant to join something like this since Ive only ever done Freshwater (this being my first comment here and all)...but..BUT..

After watching the last pico contest thats just winding down, it sure seems like it was fun. Lots of good ideas were traded with lots of support...something a newbie like me would need.

My only concern is time. Am I right in thinking most of you that do these things have another tank full of goodies to start with? That would put someone like me with absolutely nothing to start with at a disavantage (and yes, by disadvantage, I also mean broke) wouldnt it...well...that and my stupidity?

Even if I didnt do one, I found the custom contest full of good insight and will be following along with the next one.

From someone that had a tank in the Pico contest, yes it was fun. I was in the stock category and even though I figured I wouldn't win, I did it for the challenge. I still have my little 2.5 tank up and plan on keeping it that way. As for having another tank, yes I have a 24g Cube but I didn't use anything from it. I bought nano-frags (most were $10) since I wanted to see how the tank would grow.

I would love to see a new contest, especially custom/open... I have a friend that want's to setup a custom nano tank and would love to have him join the site. Not interested in a money pool, since voting is subjective but if nothing else just bragging rights. :)

I need an excuse to start an office nano/pico. However, I have a feeling it would become a HUGE money pit because the little lady at home won't see what goes into it (thus, won't know how much I spend on it).

On second thought.... DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER CONTEST!!!! :o

I need an excuse to start an office nano/pico. However, I have a feeling it would become a HUGE money pit because the little lady at home won't see what goes into it (thus, won't know how much I spend on it).

On second thought.... DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER CONTEST!!!! :o

I don't know if everyone knows what meijer's is but they have 1gal pico tanks with a light and filter for $10.00. I bought one weeks ago and I am planning a 1 gal for fun but if everyone jumped on the wagon it would be cool. Just an idea.

I need an excuse to start an office nano/pico.

this was my intention also! maybe we should have an office nano contest subcategory!

My friend has a meijer's in Cincinnati, but I only get to go there when I visit, which is rarely lately. Just a grocery store, but they do seem to have some tanks you can't get anywhere else.

Anyway, I'd go with a 5.5g contest, as thats what I'm gonna set up next (re-setup my current 5.5g).

A 10g would be a decent contest too, very common tank choice.

Something a bit different would also be a bit interesting, like the mentioned biotope idea. Too bad sea-grass biotopes aren't easily doable in nanos, but other biotopes would work.

meijers rocks. had it back in michigan, miss it a lot now that i live in maryland. they have EVERYTHING! anyways, i still think we should do a 5.5 or another 2.5g tank. both are small enough that poeple could afford to fill them with corals of their choice, and i can stick it on my desk @ work! plus, i may even be able to hide it from the lady:) unfortunately, we work together, so that could prove to be a touch one to pull off. maybe i'll stick it in our server room!!!

Well if it is going to be for free- why isn't it you choice what you want to do have a deadline ect an just grab a winner out of that?

it's a bit hard for me to send money over to us to join in a contest...

Well if it is going to be for free- why isn't it you choice what you want to do have a deadline ect an just grab a winner out of that?

because then money becomes an issue. i would love to build an entirely new 90 gal tank, but definitely can't afford to. if constraints are set in terms of tank size, more people can enter and actually have a chance at winning.

as far as the entry fee goes, that was proposed because it is difficult to come up with prizes for the winners.

Fishfreak218

well ya.. BUT you could do 4.5 inches and still grow Mangroves, Halophila, and Shoal grass... then add a single rock in the middle OR a singe brain coral and a Jawfish...

See? Now you have a tank all planned out for the next biotope contest! Except brains and jawfish aren't found in seagrass beds... but, there's always Atlantic anemones, and Porites furcata and Manicina areolata in the coral department. And don't forget epibenthic organisms like conchs, sea cucumbers, shrimps... hard to stuff it all in a small tank. Maybe I'll give it a shot, though, for the difficulty factor. :)

Archived