inTank Media Baskets

Brent's 5.5

brent-konieczny

brent-konieczny

Broken camera is in the mail to get fixed. In the mean time I have to paint a picture with my words.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brent-konieczny

I'm looking for a small desklamp with a pc or small screw in fixture. I'm planning on lighting it through the glass from the back just during the daytime. It will be a while before the back gets covered with coralline, but then I'll light 24/7.(Just chaeto and shaving brush)

cool beans, u should take apart an old lamp in your basement, so its just wire and base, and rig that up under the hood for the fuge with a screw in

brent-konieczny

Whoa! Just saw something really weird/cool. My basslet just dropped a log on the sand bed. Right after a bristleworm came completely out in the open and swallowed the thing whole. That piece of $hit was bigger than the worms body! HAHAHA

brent-konieczny

I got the fuge light from k-mart. Its a 13 pc in a fixure with a switch. I will probably attach it to the back of the tank once I get the right bulb. So what did it cost me? Nothing! Nada! Zip! So when I was checking out the guy scanned a pack of gum for me and the light. Then he said $4.28. I was thinking (Holy $hit!!!!!!!). So I acted completely normal, paid, and walked out with an extra 20 bucks (cost of light) still in my pocket. Man I'm having a great day.

brent-konieczny

Yet another addition without pics. Wood Polyps (very similar to cloves)

only $4 on a nice little rock. Also, I picked up a blue leg with a shroom attached to his back for a buck.

brent-konieczny

I just ordered a new diy light kit. I will now be able to have up to 3-28 watt bulbs under the hood (84watts over 3.6gal display!). 23watts per gallon might be too much for the softies so I might end up using just 2 bulbs. What are everybody's thoughts on the matter?

brent-konieczny

Does anyone actually read what I write or do you just scroll quick for pictures? I never get any replies :(.

I've been viewing. Very interested in the development of the tank, since I want to copycat the tank! How did the Refugium light work out? Are you having any heat problems in the hood? I have to go back to your diy thread to check what type of adhesive you used on the baffles, did you use silicone or goop?

23 watts is a whole lot for that size tank. I'm running 10 watts per gallon on my 2.5 with no problems. Couldn't imagine more.

brent-konieczny

Im actually waiting for a bulb in the mail for the fuge. I plan on putting some black plastic backround along the inner wall of the fuge so the light wont leak through. I'll either do that or end up mounting the light under the hood on a 12 hour period. I used silicone for everything. I made really thick beads inside the sump because that is where all the pressure is applied. The silicone on the display side serves practically no purpose other than looking like a clean edge.

aquadrone100377

holy crap! 84 watts over 3.5 gallons of display area! and I thought I had alot of light over my 5 gallon with 76 watts :lol:

brent-konieczny

84watts MUAHAHAHAHA imagine the possiblities! Actually I am thinking of having one of those bulbs for the fuge. With that setup (pending heat issues) the fuge would be lit from the top just during the day and I would end up with the spare 13 watt fixture for a later date (I got it for free anyway). Just thought of something with the 13 watt fixture the total would be 97watts.

Now I REALLY need advice on what bulbs to have over the display. For 2 bulbs over the display I was thinking 1 50/50 and 1 actinic. The other options would be [1 6500k and 1 actinic] or [ 2 50/50s]. Please post what you would do based on your experience.

I'm using 1 03 actinic and 1 10,000k on my 2.5 If I were to add a fuge I would try to find a bulb in the 5100k range. I would also build a short wall to keep the light seperate and run the fuge light 24/7.

brent-konieczny

Yeah the dividing wall under the hood is definately an idea I was thinking of. Only problem is I wouldn't be able to build it for a month when I have easter break.

brent-konieczny

I marked a straight line and was very patient. It was my first time ever cutting acrylic or any plastic for that matter. I do have some woodworking experience as you may have been able to tell from the hood/base (those were all from the tablesaw).

hey, i really want to biuld one just like this and i like the way u did it and how u have the instructions. i think im going to steal them. haha. so wat i want to no is how high ur hood is. just the hood part. and wat kind of filter r u using and do u have a protein skimmer? i like everything about ur tank and can c how u did it but hows ur filter? and wats in the sump and fuge. can u go into detail on that for me if u any time? and i dont think u can but if u can, PPPLLLZZZ!!! can u take some up close pix of ur sump and fuge? PPPPPPLLLLLZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

yes i no im soo stupid but i thought of more questions as i was searching. :D is the tank quite? does it make noise? and i didnt read that u made ur own skimmer but how did u do that and wat did u use? where did u get that piece of black plexi glass or w/e that stuff is and did u border the whole thing with the silicon? i think that was it but i have a feeling that i forgot something. o well. wen i thinkof more ill post them haha. srry for all the questions :) thanx

brent-konieczny

Heres the route once it gets past the overflow. First into the 10" long fuge which has a 12" air driven protein skimmer I designed and 25watt tronic heater. From there it flows over the 8.5" baffle into a big bag of carbon. Then its returned. With all the good organisms in the tank I never worry about detritus buildup or needing to add any kind of particulate filtration. I feel that would take the tank a step backwards as far as having a stable system. The rio 180 pump is very quiet and I am thoroughly satified with it. The skimmer has a thread explaining everything in the DIY forum named Lift Tube Nano Skimmer. The acrylic is tinted and I got it from Menards. I wish I had found solid black. The display side has an even bead of silicone filling all gaps and making it look clean. Currently I haven't made a diagram of the hood but I can get some measurements and lots more pics when I get my camera back. Please read the whole thread next time before asking so many questions. I feel you skipped over a bunch of stuff. I don't mind helping you out though :).

yes i no im soo stupid but i thought of more questions as i was searching. :D is the tank quite? does it make noise? and i didnt read that u made ur own skimmer but how did u do that and wat did u use? where did u get that piece of black plexi glass or w/e that stuff is and did u border the whole thing with the silicon? i think that was it but i have a feeling that i forgot something. o well. wen i thinkof more ill post them haha. srry for all the questions :) thanx

yes its quite quiet....... psh

brent-konieczny

That might be a good plan because next year you will be moving it around like I do. Also, if you do that I think the extra acylic I gave you might be enough to make your wall. Maybe you could even do a 2.5. It'd save a lot of equipment money :bling:

Archived