ReefCleaners.org

Brent's 5.5

brent-konieczny

thanks for the hints...i got your tank thread from Schwazz who has been heloing me out tons with my tanks/live stock. Nice guy and he said you were revamping a school tank and you snagged a nice GSP from him. i told him about my interest in a pico and he sent me here. When you are here let me know...i wont be doing this for a little while...i move downtown in june. Help me and you have a free beer my friend!!!!!!!!!!

seriously good stuff man! Future engineer?

\\jamie

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brent-konieczny

Beautiful GSP. No matter how common it is in the hobby I love it.

IMG_5614-727x547.jpg.7c595691ca558768291a3a917715ed3b.jpg

(it is much greener than this picture. my camera isn't the best at capturing vivid colors)

• 2 weeks later...
brent-konieczny

Yup, I definately want to make a spray bar for the new mini jet 606 I'm getting (I have been getting a little too much detritus in some dead spots). I think I'll try thin pvc with an end cap. Only problem is where do I find an elbow to fit my current return? I'll probably do this all two weeks from now.

klondike4001

I've tried this tank setup of yours and I have to say it's working quite well. With the exteption of the pump I used being a little too strong. I'm using the 'MINI-AQUALIGHT WITH 1X9W ACTINIC / 1X9W 10000K LAMP' for my lighting.

brent-konieczny

"Come on napoleon, don't be jealous cause I've been online looking at sweet coral all day."

Thanks for the pic of my shroom.

post-19134-1147357185_thumb.jpg theres ur scooty

o and brent i may just start the SW tank because u gave me the one, when u get back can i maybe get that ballast with the t5 bulbz? i may start it this summer

• 2 weeks later...
brent-konieczny

Well, I will take pics soon. I added some new stuff.

1) Millepora (fire coral, actually Hydrozoan)

2)Cabbage coral

3) Brown/ Mint Green striped shroom (today)

4) Small Emerald Crab (always have had good experiences in the past)

I used epoxy to glue a bunch of my previously super-glued corals down. Now I have to wait for the white epoxy to get covered up with coralline. Also, the 70watt halide (20k) will be going in next week after I get all the stuff I am ordering. The float switch for my diy top off will be here soon too.

• 2 months later...
brent-konieczny

So I guess my tank has been doing well this summer for my situation. I live on a lake without power or road so the tank must stay at my dad's office in town. My ATO has been the life saver this summer. The tank's wiring is set up so when the timer for the light switches on, the computer fan starts also. I am pretty sure the tank temp did not go above 86 this summer. Anyways, more about the ato and how I've been running my tank. The ato supply jug is a 2 liter bottle. I stop in to see the tank about twice a week to refill and check the tank.

My maintenence facts

1) I had 2 water changes of 1 gal this summer (since june)

2) Feed the fish twice a week

3) Have not checked the salinity other than during water changes

4) Added a few drops of phytoplex this week

5) Have routinely gone 5 days without even seeing the tank (no worries)

The big changes

1) The monti is HUGE!!!!

2) Hairy shroom has a healthy attached baby

3) Micro stars are becoming more abundant

4) Peanut worm is sighted daily

5) Corraline has just begun to spread on the back wall (talk about patience)

6) Blueline 50/50 32 watt bulb is much more beautiful

Before

IMG_5564-620x818.thumb.jpg.ad5aa225ff96d50460477a495f440763.jpg

After

IMG_6175-450x600.jpg.8594d88f1390965999c3292f1df0ff30.jpg

Before

IMG_5542-450x600.jpg.dc618cc6990d7a0c9e65250333a5bf89.jpg

After

IMG_6169-600x450.jpg.027fcf98c08a15edc3e4db851755706f.jpg

FTS (isn't as vibrant and good a picture)

IMG_6176-831x628.jpg.d5c869f9e1b6415b3900ae51b5262ccf.jpg

Please post back what you think. :)

EDIT: It may be a few days before I can reply. (No electricity where I live, just Propane)

Great looking tank. The only thing that I would do, is add something really colorful like a centerpiece coral or some really nice zoo's.

texx

brent-konieczny

Yeah, I know what you are talking about a center-piece. I was thinking this baby green hairy shroom will grow into a center piece(It is just starting to take off). Thanks for bringing that up though.

Also, news about the tank is in need. The montipora coral broke in half during transit. So, if anyone was looking for a frag pm me and I'll see if I can ship for a reasonable price. BTW, that was this tank's 2nd 10.5 hour trip from and to Minnesota, but everything (other than the monti breaking in half) was OK. The whole Monti was beautiful (the right front half was what broke off) (add- a reminiscent tear off a great looking coral).

I'll bring up my 1 gal pico again within a few weeks. I'll be at college again with more time on my hands yet again.

Man I always love looking at this tank and everything that you have put into it. I'm sure sombody will pick up the monti frag. If I was local I would take it.

brent-konieczny

Nano-spoof, thanks for the post. I really appreciate that you recognize my efforts. I also enjoy looking at your tank. It must be a lot easier to manage your corals in a 5.5 without a false wall. That brain center-piece you have is beautiful.

It's so awesome though how my monti went from a six-tipped frag to something with around 23 tips in a summers time. I still can't believe it. Now, if I could only have the same success with my birdsnest and blasto frags........... Patience is key.

brent-konieczny

Yay, new corals today! I got a red/green open brain that I am nursing back to health, a fungia the size of a 50 cent piece, and some type of bright green encrusting monti (by no means identified yet). I also bought B-ionic to speed up the growth. I will try for pictures tommorow.

brent-konieczny

Nooooooo!!!!!!! It looks like the new brain decided to start STN on me. Yesterday it was looking a lot better. Oh well, if it doesn't make it, it was only $5 cause it was slightly ill when I bought it.

• 1 month later...
brent-konieczny

Yep, school has been gettin to me (Super Stressed plus Depressed) and I haven't found time to update or take care of my tank as well as I should. I hate myself for not being as successful as some other reef caretakers out there, but I am back in the game now. That brain did not make it past 5 days and the monti frag that I loved died in the sand bed [did not mount it like I should have (kicking myself in the a$$.)]. The progress I have made is 1 new blasto head+ good health in my fungia, monti, pavona, and hairy mushroom (dang I love that shroom). The B-ionic I bought is working well by speeding up the coral growth. I definately reccommend it to anyone who does not want to mix their own solutions or check calcium levels (those calcium kits are mucho $$$, but always check that alkalinity). The pic of the fungia is in the attachment (it can eat like none other). Please post back if you want some more updates (who knows if anyone cares about my tank other than me).

post-17131-1160449794_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
brent-konieczny

It's been quite a while since I updated so here ya go.... The blastos have a total of 13 heads (9 growing out the sides), Birdsnest is starting to take hold, and a new True percula is happy ("Nosey"). The B-ionic is helping cover the wall with coralline. Hermits can actually climb the coralline on the back wall! I'm hoping the clown eventually hosts my hairy shroom (he's been in there a couple weeks now and eating healthy).

1-600x450.jpg.e288faf5a095c27da012db149c796fa3.jpg

2-600x450.jpg.9603a4730478a00eefc553bafc1e4446.jpg

I have always been inspired by your false wall built in setup. Glad to see your tank is doing well. I am considering doing the same someday with a 10g.

brent-konieczny

I got an awesome new Ricordea yuma for $20. It's colors are sooo intense! Here's some pics.

IMG_6678.thumb.JPG.7319ac01f6554e4d2555e9761c4fde7a.JPG

"Nosey" The Clown

IMG_6675.thumb.JPG.693b8bef849ced1edf396f67af78390c.JPG

FTS

IMG_6672.thumb.JPG.a0ced37b78ebde765c957122ccee3a67.JPG

tank is looking good. if you put the mushroom right under the halide, it should grow VERY fast from what I've heard so that your clown may be more apt to hosting.

Archived