Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

One Year 12g Nanocube DX

Bobalouy

To the folks asking about keeping the nitrates low in such a crowded tank...take a look at the back wall....covered in Xenia. It's a natural nitrate absorber just like macro algae and nuissance algae. I had a large xenia population in my 5.5 gallon and decided to get rid of it. Once I did I had a huge algae bloom, mostly hair, but some cyano too. Once my xenia grew back the algae went away.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Amazing tank! Love it, absolutely love it! I'm in Maryland too and would love to work out a trade. I LOVE the blastos you have and I think I have enough zoanthids for everyone to find at least one thing that they like. I'll send you a PM with pics :)

Im sure the xenia has a little to do with it, but I clear it out every couple months, with no ill effect on the levels. Its not like the tank is crowded with fish, just coral :)

Sounds good ecotox - Ive never fragged the blasto befor, it only has 4 heads right now.

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you see anything you like. I guess I was confused because it looks like there are two seperate blasto colonies. Are they together or is one not a blasto?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, this thread keeps getting bumped up. The Clowns host the Fragspawn, they love that thing.

Im moving the tank this week to a new house, so wish me luck. Im also building a stand too so I'll post some new pics soon. Hopefully everything will still be alive.

All I can say is WOW!!! This gives us all something to strive for. If you don't mind I have a few questions for you. I was curious, if you had your rock leaning against the sides of your tank? If so, how do you go about cleaning the glass? I love that back wall effect but was curious how you could achieve it without touching the sides of the glass? What is your light schedule including fuge light? You are only running one powerhead? Lastly, are you using any sort of filtration other than natural? Look forward to your replies. Keep up the good work!!!

That is one of the nicest nano cubes I have ever seen....Im loving the xenia wall!

I agree...like a little slice of the reef...really really good job.

Thanks again guys,

Echo - Some of the rock does touch the back wall, and on the left side there is a peice of tong that touches, but its easy to move, and the one of the larger rocks touch too. I really Just dont clean that side too much, lol. My display lights are on about 10-12 hours a day, and the Fuge light is on 24/7. And just the one maxi 600,

It has been said so many times already, but wow! This tank really is amazing...when I sit at work and see my 9 day old 12dx cycling it is hard to imagine that it would turn into this one day. Well, I am not setting my sights this high, but it looks so damn barren after seeing your pictures!

addam4208283

how thick is the glass on the 12g DX? a while ago i was thinking of starting up a 24g but decided not to cause of the the whole cracking thing. also are the new 12g the same as the older model?

ADAM

Thanks Travis, Stock lighting, origional bulbs actually. Not much for mods, just the cassette skimmer, minijet 606, and removed vinyl on chamber 2 for cheato.

Congrats on a great tank.

I'll be starting a 12 g this week, and your tank is my model.

What kind of substrate did you use, and how deep is it?

No udated pics of the tank yet, I still havent moved it to my new house, Im terrfied to do it. I do have a pic of the stand Im building.

stand.jpg

Thinking about painting it black, it looks alot better in the pic than real life.

Also I moved my frag tank last night, right now its in a window, Im trying out natural light.

frag_fts.jpg

frag_tds.jpg

frag_yuma.jpg

2 New macros one new coral, I picked up 3 Blue Zoos at a local club meet.

bluezoo.jpg

and a pic of my Echino that is finally healing.

echino_macro.jpg

2 New macros one new coral, I picked up 3 Blue Zoos at a local club meet.

What kind of camera are you shooting? Macro?

Archived