SaltCritters.com

Tailspot Blenny

steelhealr

eastcoaster70

I crunch up formula 2 flakes, then shake em up in a vial of tank water so they'll sink when added to the tank. He's all over them. Ofcourse he's always picking at algae from the rock. Never saw him eat any pods, though.

• 2 weeks later...

*Edit* Had a bit of a panic attack. I did prepare and knew that the tailspot was a finicky eater. I just reread this entire thread and freaked out a bit. I don't want to lose my little guy after 5 months so any advice will be BEYOND appreciated. I am picking up some formula 2 flakes tomorrow on the way home from work.

I do have a question though, how long does it take them to "return to normal" after being placed in a tank? Mine was swimming about for just a second and then I startled him and he was hiding ever since.

BTW I named mine Scooter (I know there is a scooter blenny but it just seemed fitting).

Edited by Coastie
Awesome pictures "disaster" !!!

thanks B)

what camera and lens are you using disaster?

I'm using a Nikon D200 with 60mm macro lens. Shooting in raw and process the picture with photoshop, (just mess with white balance, exposure, sharpening, crop)

*Edit* Had a bit of a panic attack. I did prepare and knew that the tailspot was a finicky eater. I just reread this entire thread and freaked out a bit. I don't want to lose my little guy after 5 months so any advice will be BEYOND appreciated. I am picking up some formula 2 flakes tomorrow on the way home from work.

I do have a question though, how long does it take them to "return to normal" after being placed in a tank? Mine was swimming about for just a second and then I startled him and he was hiding ever since.

BTW I named mine Scooter (I know there is a scooter blenny but it just seemed fitting).

To be honest I've never seen my blenny eat anything I drop in the tank. All he eats are algae growing on the rocks and glass. Ive been slacking on cleaning my glass, and whenever I come home to look at the tank, the glass will be covered with "kiss" marks from the blenny.

thanks B)

To be honest I've never seen my blenny eat anything I drop in the tank. All he eats are algae growing on the rocks and glass. Ive been slacking on cleaning my glass, and whenever I come home to look at the tank, the glass will be covered with "kiss" marks from the blenny.

Ya well I don't have to worry about that right now :( Accidentally murdered my fish. I left the pump off on accident, realized this, plugged it in without thinking. Should have looked, it appears that he was in the koralia when I plugged it back in.

So just a head's up to future blenny owners, verify that your little dude isn't kicking it in the pump before energizing.

Edited by Coastie

I just picked up tailspot #2 and this one is a tonnnnnnn more fiesty than the first. After just an hour or two in the tank he's already out grazing my rock!

*Update* Wanted to include a picture of the new guy!

Edited by Coastie
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, first post here. I'm a total SW noob after keeping FW aquariums for most of my life. I have had my 10G SW set up for about 3 weeks now, and I after a lot of consideration added my first fish on Saturday: a tailspot blenny. I went to look at fish at my LFS on the weekend, and a TSB sat there staring at me the whole time, so he won me over. The next day after I'd made my mind up, that particular fish was gone, but luckily they had another in a different tank and I picked him up.

He was very timid for the first few days, but decided to come out of hiding today. Still a little skittish (he hides if anyone walks up to the tank, and is terrified of my camera for some reason, so there will be no pictures today), but from my spot on the couch I can see him swimming around and picking at the algae on my rocks. I'm pretty happy about that; I tried unsuccessfully for the first couple of days to spot feed him with Hikari spirulina brine shrimp (according to the LFS thats what he was eating) and he largely ignored the nori I put into a clip yesterday (the hermit crabs went to town, however). I guess I'll wait until he gets more comfortable before trying to spot feed him again.

Anyhow, just checking in. As mentioned, he is very camera shy right now so I can't snap any photos, but I'll try and get some soon.

Cool, and that sounds about right - mine is still shy after almost 1 year. Instead of the clip, try rubberbanding it around a small rock and place it in, that way he can graze more naturally...

Also, I spear Formula1 gelbound cubes on a tube snail and he and all other fish pick at that for hours too...

my tailspot i got a few days ago, and already is absolutely my fav fish! hes's awesome! in our house we call him waldo...lol

everytime someone comes home they say "wheres waldo" lol

i make my own food in the blender. i feed that everyother night and in between those days i feed ocean nutrition prime reef flakes.

awesome fish fo sho! lol

Ya well I don't have to worry about that right now :( Accidentally murdered my fish. I left the pump off on accident, realized this, plugged it in without thinking. Should have looked, it appears that he was in the koralia when I plugged it back in.

So just a head's up to future blenny owners, verify that your little dude isn't kicking it in the pump before energizing.

damn :o sorry to hear that.

at one point i had a pump in the tank but i rarely turn it on cuz it was creating too much flow in my tank and too lazy to take it out. so he was residing in it for a while. i made sure i got him out of the pump before i turned it on. one time when i have the pump on, he tried to get back into the pump but ended up getting blown away when he got near to the stream.

Mine is blochy when the lights first go on. I think it's normal. It's part of it cammo at night and when it's stressed out. Lots of fish change color slightly.

Here's my little guy.

23f583fb.jpg

I love my tailspot but have recently noticed that he destroyed my beautiful gorg colony that I've had for 8 months. Anyone else hear of this type of behavior or apitite? It sucks bad. The gorgonian I'm speaking of was doing great. A non photsynthetic I believe. Was feeding regularly of course.

How often is everyone feeding? My tank is fairly new (just over a month) and my TSB is my first fish. I'm having a minor cyano outbreak, so I would like to decrease my feeding.

Currently, I attach a 2" x 1" sheet of nori to some rock which he grazes on all day and feed him once a day (alternate between spirula brine shrimp and omega one sinking veggie pellets).

Can I decrease feeding to every other day? I do have a good amount of green algae on the rocks, so I suppose he could pick on that..

vikingranger05

whats the big difference between the midas blenny and tailspot? i want to keep on in my 12g and have been told no on the midas blenny but that a tailsot will do fine.. why is this?

whats the big difference between the midas blenny and tailspot? i want to keep on in my 12g and have been told no on the midas blenny but that a tailsot will do fine.. why is this?

Midas blenny is canary yellow "not to be confused with the canary blenny" and will grow to 4-5" long. the tailspot is black with blue and orange aroung the eyes and a fake "eye" on the tail. The tailspot blenny only grows to be 2"