Pod Your Reef

Tailspot Blenny

steelhealr

Very nice new Tailspot's. They really love holes to back into.

Can you suggest something to add to the tank for them to hang out in? Mine dances between rocks and keeps trying to find somewhere to hide but none of the spots in the tank are up to his standards :(

I was looking at getting a small barnacle cluster like this: http://store.seacorals.net/3naaqbacl.html but I wasn't sure if that would even look good in my tank

crazy tarzan

Here are some pics of my tail spot blenny--he's good at eating algae off the glass and rocks, and also loves formula II flakes. He has a favorite hole at the top of the rocks and has made friends with the clown fish. So far he's staying fat and healthy, and poops green all the time.

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

I got tail spot last week, now it's so active in the tank, like hanging out with my clown.

and it almost eats everything I put in the tank, but I found he love the fomula II flake the most.

it's really funny fish, it likes to chase its own tail a lot, just like a dog does.

• 1 month later...

Can tailspot get along with another different kind of blenny in the 34 gallon or bigger tank with lots of rock holes? i am not to sure if i should add him in with my other black blenny. Also do they like to surf the surfaces? should i put a net over the tank because my tank is rimless.. thanks

Can tailspot get along with another different kind of blenny in the 34 gallon or bigger tank with lots of rock holes? i am not to sure if i should add him in with my other black blenny. Also do they like to surf the surfaces? should i put a net over the tank because my tank is rimless.. thanks

Tailspot shouldn't be with other Blennies in a tank that size, and they stay pretty close to the rock work. I'd have a cover because Blennies are jumpers, I've seen mine get startled and try to get out before. I would not get him, he'll probably never come out and starve but thats my opinion.

I have 3 blennies in one tank without issue for months,

Need to get them really really young,

I add them together when they are a half inch or so in size.

One time I had 5 of them,

keeping in mind they were all a half inch and I let all but 2 go.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got a Tailspot Blenny today...

Thanks for all the info on this post, I hope it leads to a long life for the little dude...

He was already venturing out of his hole in a few hours, taking bites at the glass, and seems to have dropped the white-spots cammo/stress coloration already...

My Tomato Clown and Six-Line Wrasse have so far totally left him alone, but interestingly the recently added Half-Barred Goby, which spends his whole life upside down hiding in the rockwork, has charged the TSB a few times and chased it around a little - hope they can learn to live with each other :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's mine. Went in my tank on Thursday. So cute!

blenny3.jpg

Attempting a feeding Saturday, after I pick up food.

His poo is nice and green, which probably means he's getting after some algae.

Edited by spencers
Here's mine. Went in my tank on Thursday. So cute!

blenny3.jpg

Attempting a feeding Saturday, after I pick up food.

His poo is nice and green, which probably means he's getting after some algae.

'Grats! They are great little guys, aren't they!

Green poo equals good!!!

B)

• 2 months later...
So, has anyone on this thread kept a TSB alive for 1+ yrs? I'm looking for a long term fish, where 5 months isn't considered a success.

In July mine is 2yrs. For a long term Blenny there are easier ones. Information on Tailspots is lacking and often not always accurate. They are excellent, fun to watch fish, I love mine.