Coral Vue Hydros

Tailspot Blenny

steelhealr

Hopefully they will have long happy lives...i still get nervous after seeing so many threads where people lost them around the 4 month mark :mellow: Got my St Francis medal by the tank B)

They are really pretty and i am happy to have a such a cute addition to my cube...lots of fun to watch...it seems to like to 'host' in my hairy green mushroom...lots of personality!

I finally got my hands on one of these and I LOVE THIS FISH.

He is very entertaining

He changes his location every two days to a new area on my rock!

He is friends with my clowns and six line

One big happy family

• 1 month later...

since this looks like the definitive tail spot blenny thread figured i'd ask what would you think is a good compatibility match with a tail spot in an established 12g nano?

yellow watchman goby

neon goby

firefish

yellow clown goby

purple firefish

or nothing?

Edited by geezers11

maybe a shrimp...i only have some soft corals, two small snails and my tailspot...also live rock of course..i might get a shrimp or something but i don't plan on adding anything else but small corals...i would say a clown, but mine attacked my clown..they were put in the same day...the clown didn't make it..i was crushed...i don't think the TSB is as sweet as they make it sound.

maybe a shrimp...i only have some soft corals, two small snails and my tailspot...also live rock of course..i might get a shrimp or something but i don't plan on adding anything else but small corals...i would say a clown, but mine attacked my clown..they were put in the same day...the clown didn't make it..i was crushed...i don't think the TSB is as sweet as they make it sound.

interesting. i do have a cleaner shrimp and soon to be 3 sexy shrimp and of course corals/live rock. i've learned to research and be patient rather than knee jerk and throw something in.

regarding the tsb not being as sweet as we think, it's the same with dogs in a cage at the pet store. very docile until you bring it home and all hell breaks loose.

anyway, appreciate the info. i'll still be on the lookout. read maybe a yashi gobi might work?

see what i mean?

• 3 weeks later...

I've found this to be the most active Tailspot thread on the net so I joined the forum to join the discussion and share information since I've found info on Tailspots to be lacking. My tailspot is coming up on his 7 month in my tank. I've found him eating pods mostly along with Spectrum Marine Formula 1mm, also I use to feed Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies green and ate that also. Also loves lots of rocks. I'm happy to answer any questions.

IMG_5248.jpg

Hi Nate! What a cutie you have!!

Mine is still going strong, knock wood but i think something is wrong with my fan and i smelled something burning the other day so i have turned off the lights...and was out ALL day...have to fix that!

I have been grinding up nori, formula one and two so it's super tiny and mine still eats like a little piggy...i see it catching pods as well but it still doesn't touch my algae which i think is culpera but i grow it in the nano and feed it to my tang in my 72gl...who loves it.

Anyway...i am coming up on 7mo too..woohoo!!

• 1 month later...

How's everyone's Tailspot doing? Mine has been enjoying his new friends, an Ocellaris Clownfish misbared pair.

n502784600_1385966_1529.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

Edited by nate_n

Hi Nate! Thankfully still going strong...knock wood and still seeming to enjoy ground up (almost to a powder) flake food of formula one and two...still doesn't seem to touch the algae i put in the tank but i grow it in the nano for the tang in the big display tank.

How often do you feed your TSB? I am wondering if i am not feeding her enough as yours looks more plump!

masterbuilder

Hey, I have had my Tailspot for well over 18 months now and he/she is doing great and fat as a pig. My TS has never wanted any of the algae based food I offer and I have tried most types. Every now and then it will eat some Formula Two flake but very little of that. He/she will pick at the rocks and glass for some algae, but even that is not what I would call grazing.

Diet has consisted of New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula pellets (its fave), Formula One Flakes, Cyclopes, Rods Food Frozen, etc.. It really lives off the New Life Spectrum as that’s 70% of it diet. I feed my blenny once a day until it seems full which takes about 3 to 5 minutes.

IMO...they are not the vegetarian they are considered. Mine is definitely an omnivore and is super healthy without a primarily algae diet. A few others here that had similar observations.

Mark

Edited by masterbuilder

Mark i have to say that i have observed the same things as far as the grazing and diet...though it seems to finally be eating 1&2 equally since i mix them together...when i first got her (my 6yo daughter named 'her' Star) she would spit out the pellets..i have to check but i think it's the brand you mention..i am going to start them up again and smash them up with the normal powdery concoction i give.

Thanks for the update!

Have had mine since January 2009. He eats anything that comes along as well as the normal rock grazing and nori sheet ripping.

He is in a 29 biocube with a Mystery Wrasse Pseudocheilinus ocellatus, and 2 black clownfish Amphiprion ocellaris var.

1ts2.jpg

01blenny.jpg

Carlton'sTank

I am glad I found this thread.

I had a tailspot about a year ago and experienced the same problem with him/her dying off about about the 4 month mark. I think diet and stress were the cause. My clown was the lone fish of the tank until I got the tailspot and the poor tailspot was super reclusive. I was pretty dissapointed in how i went about the process and finally decided to get another one about a month ago.

My clown now has a partner and could care less about the tailspot. I also have a pair of lubbock's fairy wrasses in the tank. All my fish seem to be very docile and cooperate with each other well. I notice that my TSB is usually grazing around the tank until I get close enough for him/her to notice me. He has a cool little natural perch that he hangs out in. It is under a large hammer coral and on the top of my rock work. Seems to come out of his perch and snag chunks of food during feeding time.

I did notice that this fish eats more meats that is given credit for. I think the algae grazing around the tank supplements the diet, but this guy eats every time I feed my other fish meaty foods. I would however like to get any suggestions on what is some food that you have found successful. Thanks.

Hi Nate! Thankfully still going strong...knock wood and still seeming to enjoy ground up (almost to a powder) flake food of formula one and two...still doesn't seem to touch the algae i put in the tank but i grow it in the nano for the tang in the big display tank.

How often do you feed your TSB? I am wondering if i am not feeding her enough as yours looks more plump!

I have noticed that mine is plump as you'd say. Here's what I've been feeding the tank. I should note that although all of the information that I've found for them to be herbivores, I have observed him being more of an omnivore. Here's is my feeding list, I'll provide links also. Reef Chili about twice a week, New Life Spectrum Marine Formula 3 times a day, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes once a week and I put it into a small squeeze bottle and shake it to the break the flakes up. My tailspot is also eating pods.

Edited by nate_n
  • 1 month later...
DogfoodEnforcer

just found this thread.

i will join you guys in the tailspot blenny lovers club.

i have been trying to find one for two years, since i first set up my reef tank.

well...the other fish in my tank had recently passed away a few months ago...and i was at the LFS stocking up on CUC when i found a tailspot!!! i nearly lost it. my gf was asking me what was wrong with me because i all of a sudden got so excited and bouncy. i got that little bugger home and three days later he emerged...ever since then he has quickly become the favourite fish that i have EVER kept (fresh and salt water).

unfortunately, due to outside circumstances, i just had to redo my rockwork, and to my utter dismay, and abject terror...i found Benny the Blenny dead on my substrate when i came home last night at around 1am. i seriously shed a few tears. that little guy had completely re-engaged my interest in the hobby. for the past few months i had been slowly losing interest, to the point that i was about to breakdown and sell all my stuff. then i found that guy and i was back in love.

now im back to not knowing. i want another tailspot, but will it have the same personality? ive never had a fish like that before. my gf was the most upset, i got #####ed out for "being an idiot". she understands, but still.lol

so i lead on to a question. i was speaking to my LFS today (they're a ways away so i called before leaving). they had a tailspot blenny...with no tailspot...but it was a tailspot blenny... has anyone ever heard of this?

im thinking it might be cool to have a gimpy...errr..."unique" tailspot...

the LFS just got a shipment in, so i am heading down tomorrow to drop something off and see what they have. im very interested in seeing this "spotless" tailspot blenny, as the girl put it.lol

i envy all of you for your fish. i hope that i can find another soon and keep it long term. :(

• Like 1