Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tailspot Blenny

steelhealr

vikingranger05

Ok that makes sense the midas will out grow the tank where the tailspot wont... if i knew i was going to upgrade my tank in the near future and found a small enough midas would it do fine for a lil till it outgrows and moves to a bigger tank.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought the same thing, but I am really leery of adding another fish. I want a really light bioload on this tank since I am going filterless (just AC110 with cheato in the back).

(Professor Farnsworth's voice) Good news everyone!

TL:DR Fish ate PE Mysis shrimp and is happy as a cat in a yarn factory.

Glad to hear you've got to see him eat. I keep sps with two clowns and my tailspot, with no skimmer. I run carbon and gfo, and weekly water changes. If you want, try adding the clowns and watch your levels. You run the same type of tank that I do so I think you'll be fine.

thanks picked it up (formula 2 flakes) and he did eat some but just put most in his mouth and spit it out so I will break it into smaller pieces the next time.

When you get a pinch of the F2 flakes, stick your fingers and kind of grind them up, I find that works. Usually the flakes are big when you get it and break apart over time also.

Just picked up one of these guys for my 40 breeder. Man he sure is a feisty one. My bully female clown immediately went to check him out and an all out brawl ensued. The blenny is having none of her crap and will periodically chase her around the tank. I thought blennys were non-aggressive.

I really want one of these for my 30g cube I am setting up. Would they be okay with a bluespot jawfish? I know they are both territorial and will defend their burrows. Live Aquaria says that they are compatible with caution. Does anyone have this combo in a similarly sized tank?

I really want one of these for my 30g cube I am setting up. Would they be okay with a bluespot jawfish? I know they are both territorial and will defend their burrows. Live Aquaria says that they are compatible with caution. Does anyone have this combo in a similarly sized tank?

I had them both in my 34 gallon and they seemed to prefer having each other around. the tailspot made his roost directly above the blue spot

my little guy didn't bother anyone. He enjoyed dive bombing the clowns with his poop, but other than that... no aggression at all.

My tailspot sleeps in the rockwork up fairly hi in the tank. I dont know if that is normal or not but seeing where he spends most of his day I think they would be fine. I plan on putting a pearly jawfish in with him soon in a 34G

my little guy didn't bother anyone. He enjoyed dive bombing the clowns with his poop, but other than that... no aggression at all.

Seems to be getting better. The tailspot will periodically seek out the clownfish for a beat down, but other than that they are getting along.

My tailspot sleeps in the rockwork up fairly hi in the tank. I dont know if that is normal or not but seeing where he spends most of his day I think they would be fine. I plan on putting a pearly jawfish in with him soon in a 34G

I'd say that's normal. Mine usually sleeps on the rocks, but if the hermits are in his normal spot, he sleeps curled around a suction cup on one of my powerheads.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering a TSG.

Only have a purple fire fish in my BC14 right now.

Would it be ok with the fire fish? Or too similar of fish?

The fire fish is always hiding in the rock work. Only comes out for food....

TSG looks real interesting though... :P

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yay! I'm happy to have found a TSB thread. I have one named "Blenny Goodman" and he is my favorite fish. My husband even commented that he was a bit jealous...... don't know why, perhaps it was the other day when I was watching him and spontaneously burst out with "Oh blenny how I love you. Let me count the ways..."

We have had him for 2 months. So far he is only really eating algae, but does pick at brine with spiralina. He has a little pot belly and is constantly grazing all day long. He is very active and not shy at all. When I talk to him he swims up to the side of the tank that I'm on. We have a 34 gallon tank with 4 fish- an Ocellaris Clown, Red Firefish, Green Clown Goby and the blenny. They all get along really well and often hang out together in a little pack. When we first got the blenny we had a clown fish that was really tormenting him and playing a "keep the blenny in the hole" game. We took the clown back to the LFS and the other smaller clown started hanging out with the blenny. The firefish was added a few weeks ago and now the blenny swims with it more than with the clown.

I was searching for information about them today because he suddenly has a white spot on his side and it isn't from stress. It looks like an injury or a sting or something, but it is not an open wound. I am a bit worried. He is still acting the same, swimming and eating and perching but I am worried about him. Does anyone have any ideas on what the white blotch could be?

Edited by Seastuff

Mine has had this before, it's just like a bruise. It should go away in a few days, keep an eye on him to see it if it worsens. Mine eats some tank algae along with pods. He also eats what I feed the clowns, New Life Spectrum Marine Formula(1mm pellet) and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes, he also eats New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula(.5mm pellet).

Yay! I'm happy to have found a TSB thread. I have one named "Benny Goodman" and he is my favorite fish. My husband even commented that he was a bit jealous...... don't know why, perhaps it was the other day when I was watching him and spontaneously burst out with "Oh blenny how I love you. Let me count the ways..."

We have had him for 2 months. So far he is only really eating algae, but does pick at brine with spiralina. He has a little pot belly and is constantly grazing all day long. He is very active and not shy at all. When I talk to him he swims up to the side of the tank that I'm on. We have a 34 gallon tank with 4 fish- an Ocellaris Clown, Red Firefish, Green Clown Goby and the blenny. They all get along really well and often hang out together in a little pack. When we first got the blenny we had a clown fish that was really tormenting him and playing a "keep the blenny in the hole" game. We took the clown back to the LFS and the other smaller clown started hanging out with the blenny. The firefish was added a few weeks ago and now the blenny swims with it more than with the clown.

I was searching for information about them today because he suddenly has a white spot on his side and it isn't from stress. It looks like an injury or a sting or something, but it is not an open wound. I am a bit worried. He is still acting the same, swimming and eating and perching but I am worried about him. Does anyone have any ideas on what the white blotch could be?

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to update. My little guy is still happy and healthy. I've had him now for 2 years 3 months. I recently added a pearly jawfish to the tank. The jawfish made his burrow directly under the blenny's hole and the blenny would watch him very curiously. I guess his curiosity got the best of him and now he thinks he's a jawfish :lol: They now happily share the burrow.

Edited by noirsphynx
Just wanted to update. My little guy is still happy and healthy. I've had him now for 2 years 3 months. I recently added a pearly jawfish to the tank. The jawfish made his burrow directly under the blenny's hole and the blenny would watch him very curiously. I guess his curiosity got the best of him and now he thinks he's a jawfish :lol:

That is absolutely HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!