Cultivated Reef

clams and t5

drowning

The main point of having a mature tank is basically stability. SPS need very stable parameters in order to thrive.

Besides that, just calcium, alk, and the other basics are all you would need to test for now (thats all i test for) but you could also test other things like magnesium, iodine, etc. if you wanted to get really specific.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can do SPS under something other than MH. Just don't expect to keep those blues and purples. And greens, and pinks... <_<

IMOH, that sunpod is ur best bet, but I also think T5 looks mutch better than MH, plus they give off less heat. I don't have them, but when I upgrade I will.

Caesar, i believe on the tank that pochie posted, there are 2x 39w and 6x 54w T-5s. I dont remember the exact color of the bulbs though (i have to find the guys website again).

Also take a look at Danano's TOTM on RC (a few months ago). He uses 8x 54w T-5s.

I believe its more about water quality than specific lighting. You can have halides but still have brown sps and you can have T-5s and have brown sps. Again, you can have either lighting and yet have amazing coloration.

I personally run T-5s and while i have seen some of my SPS brown out a little (probebly due to me only doing 1 water change in the last month), but some have better coloration than when they were under halides at the LFS.

caesar, here is the link to one of the sps running t-5s.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...25&pagenumber=1

What is the cost for a set up say for a 30-40gallon? I understand that they use less power and emit less heat on top of that the bulbs need less replacing than MH suposed to be 1.5years as opposed to MH .5year.

At this point I believe that we will see all tanks 24" and wider using t-5 and anything smaller using MH, When I am proved right remember me as a prophet :lol:

How does a 70-watt (for example :rolleyes: ) fluorescent bulb use less power than a 70-watt metal halide bulb? It's the same voltage. The MH is even more "efficient" than the fluo, as far as quality of light (including PAR).

Fluorescent bulbs start to lose their spectrum (lower to reds and yellows, fostering algae growth, i.e. time to replace) after around 5-7 months, with metal halide lasting at least a year, up to several.

I think Caesar is anti T-5 :P

T-5 bulbs actually last longer than generally recommended time for mh bulbs. Life span ranges from 12-16 months. It is not however less expensive than replacing halides though as when you replace t-5 bulbs you have to replace all of them so on setups with a large amount of bulbs, the price can add up (at $25 per good quality bulb - ATI).

The thing about T-5s is that you have many bulbs. Caesar, you are not correct though when you say that the halides are more efficient because they make more PAR at similar wattages. They dont make a 70w T-5 bulb but if you took 70w of T-5s (multiple bulbs) in an appropriate color temp and high quality reflectors, the t-5s will produce up to 10% more par than a 10k mh bulb (all depending on the type of mh ballasts used, individual bulbs, etc.)

I'm not saying that halides are bad but i'm just showing that there is another viable, equivalent option to halides.

Nothing against T5's--I like them. But for a large tank, there's no way they can replace MH. Height alone--fluo rays don't penetrate that far.

Caesar, with all things being relative... what would you consider to be a "LARGE" tank? That beautiful tank being lighted with all T5s is 210 gallons!!!

shao-lin nano
How does a 70-watt (for example :rolleyes: ) fluorescent bulb use less power than a 70-watt metal halide bulb? It's the same voltage.

It's the same watt nut not necessarily the same voltge. Watt (P) = Voltage (V) X Current (I) so you can have same wattage but different values for voltage or current.

There are also a couple differnt variations of the equation using V=IR to replace and manipulate the variables. ;)

I'd have to see it in person.

I know, for a progressive person, I can be hard to budge.

Same power draw, shao.

I'm not as adamant as I seem. People think I'm so 100% about things.

All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi....Far from suicidal.

Archived