Cultivated Reef

clams and t5

drowning

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate here......these are T5, not HOT5 right? There not overdriven and they lack the parabolic reflectors.....so, these are basically the same as a 96W powerquad.

The power of T5 is upon us:

Iwan's 211g

Danano's 110ga

Part of what makes these guy able to grow SPS and clams, is the reflectors, and the nova's don't have them. There great for actinics though.....

I'm not saying clams will be a problem, cuz I'm not one of the those "MH only kinda guys", just that these aren't the HO's

The nova fixture is HO but i'm not sure if it has individual parabolic reflectors. Your absolutely right though, i definalty not wouldnt attempt clams without HO and probebly woulnt without parabolic reflectors.

jenniebutterfly

96 watts of t5 is a lot for a 15 gallon. i had the 96 watt tek light (i know much better reflectors) but it was plenty for my 29 gallon. so even though this one does not have individual reflectors, it should be enough for a clam :D

You should be good to go drowning!!! When I googled Current USA Nova T5, the one I saw was the no reflector version......they're no better than PCs at that point!

That fixture atleast has the reflector......FWIW, those Teklights are the best because each bulb has its own reflector optimizing the amount of light going in.....But they are PRICEY!

My next tank will be HOT5! Did you see Iwan's tank...Whoa!

Zeo has gone into Phase II, we'll see how things go......

FWIW, I've had a Crocea under PC's (2 36 watts) for the last 4 months now...it is growing the BEST out of all my various clams. Still waiting to add more light, which I will do, but hey, it's laying down new shell with even this little amount of light.

MP

How big is though? Clams under 3" rely much more on the feeding of phytoplankton than light for growth. After 3" they grow more dependent on photosynthesis.

It might be possible to some how get the Teklight reflectors and diy them into the Nova. Not sure how much room is in there but it might be possible on at least 2 of the bulbs. Would be cheaper too.

I wouldn't screw around with replacing the reflector. You said that you were going to replace the bulbs as well, correct? If thats the case, you might as well just buy the Tek retrofit kit and install it into a diy hood. Of course, if you enjoy tinkering with things, then be my guest (I know I do!)

NaughtyCashew

Got mine 3 footer from e-bay for $220 w/ free shipping. Once you add the bulbs and the ridiculous mounting legs it gets pricey, but hey, you are going to replace the bulbs anyways.

Those mounting legs totally suck. They are "powder coated" black, but once I attached it to the light, paint came flaking off. Not only that, but I had to mess with it for about 30 min to get it to fit my standard 36" tank. :blink:

Bleh!

Montis caps are easy, along with digitas. Just make sure to have uber good water parameters, and flow. (You have the light covered) Once you have your tank established for a while, you could start to get into acros, and other sps.

Ahh...Traitor!!! Haha, j/k. If shimmy is your thing than more power to ya :)

Easy SPS: The ones your listed above are reletively easy as well as monti digitas and even a few cheap acros. My first SPS was a cheap $15 browned out acro that did very well.

Good Luck

Archived