Coral Vue Hydros

Bookshelf <5gal pico project

coralbuff

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Pet doc and Bob,

Your compliments are greatly appreciated!!

I did tne moonlights last night using a 50 cent 12V transformer from goodwill and some LED's I already had. The fan came (well kinda') today. The guy put the guard, transformer and screws in the package but NO FAN! Anyway, Here is a pic of the moonlights installed in the canopy.

Thanks again,

Coralbuff

post-16383-1131994296_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1131994316_thumb.jpg

very original & well-executed. can't wait to see the video

Thanks Carinya,

I am going to the lfs today tocheck out their frags. I will also be pulling out some frags I prpogated in my 55g. It may take me awhile to get a video posted as I am not to savy on how to do it. So hang tuff for now and I will post some pics of the stocking progress on thurs.

Keep Reefing!

Coralbuff

cool setup! it's like a portable built-in. nice woodwork. B)

Thanks tinyreef,

I enjoyed doing the woodwork thing and am happy with the results. Stocking pics will come thurs.

Coralbuff

Is this tank from Petco? If not, where did you get the tank? Sorry if this question has already been answered, looks great!

This was made from a six place betta tank purchased from my LFS 20.00 Made by Visio Aquarium ask your LFS about Betta show tanks and order it without dividers.

Thanks

Coralbuf

quick question i love your tank and was thinking of building one for my little brother. what kind of lights did you use and where did you get them this tank is amazing

quick question i love your tank and was thinking of building one for my little brother. what kind of lights did you use and where did you get them this tank is amazing

Chuck,

I used 2 t5's one daylight one full actinic 14w each. I think 28 wats is plenty as the tank is only 8 inches deep. I had the lights already but you should be able to get them online somewhere. I would estimate them to be no more than 50.00 for both. Look through the previous posts about this if you want to see a picture of them.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Coralbuff

Well I have started stocking,

I found some nice frags at the lfs and used a couple from my big tank to get things started. There is a Lobo with purple centers, a candycane, a couple torches, a tiny red Fiji star and a firefish along with the GSP, emerald crab, shrooms and zoos I had already put in.

The GSP is probably the best example to show the variation in curent, so I included a couple pics taken at seperate times so you can see how the polyps are moving in diferent directions.

Thanks

Coralbuff

post-16383-1132384618_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384654_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384690_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384757_thumb.jpg

post-16383-1132384778_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384838_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384863_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384922_thumb.jpg

neat setup. I'll be interested to see how your LPS do under NO lighting.

Calvin,

The water volume on this tank (empty) is actually 4.125gal. The T5's, 14wx14w are equal to 6.79w per gal. The tank is only 8" deep (empty). I could easily stick 65w of PC in there but heat is a big concern when using canopies, especially with such a small volume of water. Based on my experience. I believe the LPS' will be fine. I will continue to post pics here so people can see the progress.

Thanks,

Coralbuff

Calvin,

The water volume on this tank (empty) is actually 4.125gal. The T5's, 14wx14w are equal to 6.79w per gal. The tank is only 8" deep (empty). I could easily stick 65w of PC in there but heat is a big concern when using canopies, especially with such a small volume of water. Based on my experience. I believe the LPS' will be fine. I will continue to post pics here so people can see the progress.

Thanks,

Coralbuff

Great, I look forward to watching your progress. I bet with a tank that shallow you won't have problems. I just don't know how much actual PAR normal output T5s produce.

Great, I look forward to watching your progress. I bet with a tank that shallow you won't have problems. I just don't know how much actual PAR normal output T5s produce.

I thought NO had to do with lumens, not color.

Excellent tank, btw.

Thanks again,

Not sure of the exact lumens but they are suposed to be high for a t5. These are the Current USA Nova series. The Nova 28w is equal to the lumens of a 40w t8 or t12.

Dont know for sure the comparisons on the 14w. But I like Current's stuff so I am taking their word on the high lumens claim.

Talk soon

Coralbuff

I got tired of waiting for the fan from the flake on ebay so I made up a dual fan system of my own. I have got the fluctuation down to 1 degree, 78 in am and 79 at peek heet time. Ambiant RT is Normally 76 in daytime and 70 at night. BIG SALE FRIDAY AT THE LFS TIME TO ADD SOME MORE FRAGS!!!

I will post pics soon,

Happy Thanks Giving Reefers!

Coralbuff

T5's have a higher output than NO. I think almost triple the output if I'm remembering right.

Yes, but there are NO T5s and HO T5s. They're definitely not the same. the 14w version is NO. The smallest HO T5 you can get is 23".

oh, and you're right - I should have said 'lumens' not 'PAR.'

Nice Tank!

Thanks Travis,

Your Pico Rocks!

Coralbuff

This tank rocks,good job dude. Ive found NO t-5's to be brighter than pc's of equal size!

Thanks deacon,

I appreciate the compliments, so far so good on lighting too. All seems to doing great.

Coralbuff

Blind Tree Frog
Thanks fras,

Yes the pumps will continually alternate 1 pump on 40 seconds the other off for the same 40 seconds and visaversa. I think the efect will prove beneficial to the corals. I cant wait til cycling is done so I can start stocking!!!! I will try to figure out how to post video once there is enough livestock to really see the tidal action but that is aways out yet. I will continue to post pics til then.

Have you thought about setting one pump on 30 seconds and the other for 40? That way you get some overlap and some more chaotic turbulence.

Archived