Cultivated Reef

Bookshelf <5gal pico project

coralbuff

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jayjay1976

I have tried searching for 'betta tank' and 'show tank' and 'betta show tank' and visio betta tank' and 'visio aquarium' etc. etc. etc. and cannot find a web shop that carries it. I have searched thoroughly the petsmart and petco in my neighborhood, but to no avail. Anyone know where I can lay my hands on one of these tanks?

jason

• 4 weeks later...
I have tried searching for 'betta tank' and 'show tank' and 'betta show tank' and visio betta tank' and 'visio aquarium' etc. etc. etc. and cannot find a web shop that carries it. I have searched thoroughly the petsmart and petco in my neighborhood, but to no avail. Anyone know where I can lay my hands on one of these tanks?

jason

Talk to your local LFS they should be able to help you but they may need to order it for you.

Coralbuff

• 1 month later...

Been off NR for quite a while now. The Pico is doing fine. :D I am gearing up to start my 135g. I am considering selling this system to help offset the cost -_- . I would consider 175.00 less sand, rock and live stock. It will be time to change the bulbs soon. The deal will include all other equipment which is , Tank, pumps, heater, fans, moon lights and reg T5s with reflector, wavemaker, a timer and of course the all the woodwork! I prefur local pick up (orange county, CA) but would consider shipping if buyer pays actual shipping. Of course I would not be responsible if the shipper breaks it. Bumbed yes! Responsible no. I put a ton of work in this little jewell and would be sick to hear it got broken :o ! Anyway, I just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone would like to adopt my little baby.

Thanks in advance,

Coralbuff

• 3 months later...

Update!!

It's hard to believe this tank is a year old now. As of last week the corals have been transfered to my 55g. Yes the clown too. Real Estate is quick to run out in a Pico! :D I will restock in the future with new frags and will post pics at that time. The other day I saw tons of pods in the tank when moving things about. That was cool! So for now I am running the tank on normal cycle and maint. until I can restock. I have collected 3 175w. MH for my 135g. (maybee 100g.) and started a fuge/macro tank 4 months ago to supply the fuge I will build for the system. As awsome as big tanks are, I really enjoy the pico tank and since there were no takers on my offer, I will keep it going. Somethings are just hard to let go of! :D

Nice job on your Picos guys !!!

TALK SOON

coralbuff

And now,

Here are some pics with the overflows, backing and crossover tube installed.

I am waiting for the bulkheads to arive on tues. and will post more pics then. I have the pumps, heater and lights, so next I will be building the compartment covers and canopy!

Coralbuff

post-16383-1130735374_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1130735392_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1130735407_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1130735439_thumb.jpg

post-16383-1130735453_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1130735470_thumb.jpg

dont have much to say...im still in awe.......this i think is one of the best tanks ive seen here on the site.....and they have aLOT of bad asz DIY tanks....

i wouldnt get rid of it either.....its good to have a back up QT for corals and such....

dont have much to say...im still in awe.......this i think is one of the best tanks ive seen here on the site.....and they have aLOT of bad asz DIY tanks....

i wouldnt get rid of it either.....its good to have a back up QT for corals and such....

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it. Good Luck to you and your and your critters.

talk soon,

coralbuff

yea i agree with everyone else, that is quite an amazing tank, woodwork is awesome. is that a perc you have in there? if so has he by chance chosen anything in there to host, if so what is it? fabulous job.

yea i agree with everyone else, that is quite an amazing tank, woodwork is awesome. is that a perc you have in there? if so has he by chance chosen anything in there to host, if so what is it? fabulous job.

Yeah, that is a perc. He hosted into a torch in this pico. They just moved to my 55g though and are doing fine. He still goes in the torch, it only took him about a day to reclaim his home.

thanks again,

coralbuff

question?

not clear on the tube connecting pump areas. is this an acrylick channell between two ends running along back bottom? or actual tubing run from bulkheads.

i assume it keeps small current flowing in other end when pump is off to keep positive pressure on the junk in filter.

how did you size this and would it need a valve for regulation.

how is it workin ok?

also do you run floss and rubble , purigen? in both ends?

thanks

My son had the same idea and we are looking for about a 10 - 15 gallon a bit bigger and put fuge in one end.

love your tank

thanks

question?

not clear on the tube connecting pump areas. is this an acrylick channell between two ends running along back bottom? or actual tubing run from bulkheads.

i assume it keeps small current flowing in other end when pump is off to keep positive pressure on the junk in filter.

how did you size this and would it need a valve for regulation.

how is it workin ok?

also do you run floss and rubble , purigen? in both ends?

thanks

My son had the same idea and we are looking for about a 10 - 15 gallon a bit bigger and put fuge in one end.

love your tank

thanks

Yes it is an acrylic tube (square) along the back under the sand bed. I used 1/2" ID theorizing matching the tubing on the pumps this would be sufficient. Yes I did this to keep Positive pressure on the media. It has worked out well. When one pump switches off; the compartment containing that pump does have a slight increase in the level contained there but not enough to allow any spillage into the display.

I would not think a valve would be needed and it is nice that the tube is hidden in the sand bed.

I run floss and alternate from purigen, chemipure, or various treated pads and somtimes a combo for one side. The other side houses rubble and some beads.

A fuge would be a great addition for a larger tank. I did not have enough room in this pico for that. I will be setting up a 100-135g tank using this Idea but will simply use the ends for skimming, Pre filtering when needed and to house alternating return lines from the sump/fuge/chiller under the tank. hope this helps and let me know how things work out, or if you need any more input.

Thanks,

coralbuff

Archived