Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bookshelf <5gal pico project

coralbuff

Have you thought about setting one pump on 30 seconds and the other for 40? That way you get some overlap and some more chaotic turbulence.

Thanks for the input that would be awsome but the rcepticles are not individually controlled. Just duration controlled with one coming on as the other goes off. You can actually see some turbulance between swithing as it is instantanious.There is a third outlet that stays on, goes off for two times the duration of the first two recepticles. Maybee I can play with the settings and use that one. I am just concerned if I would end up with "dead time" and do not want a third pump in there as I have the heat under control already. I will see what happens with the third recepticle experiment.

Thanks Again,

Coralbuff

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah you would have dead time, but I wonder if up to 30 seconds of no current (using those timeS) would really matter. mm, good point.

Hey Blind Tree Frog,

Sory fo the slow reply, I'v been buisy lately.(business, tank maint.holiday stuff etc)

I have been playing with the timers and recepticles and did have a problem with "dead time" When both pumps are off, I get a protien slick backflowing into the display from the end compartments. If I lower the water level in the compartments,to stop backflow, then the display area drops too low. I did also test just running one pump full time and the other at dif. intervals. It was ok but not quite as dramatic in curent change. So I am just going to continue the alternating times it works awsome.

Thanks again,

Coralbuff[left

That is, BY FAR, the sweetest pico I've ever seen. Kudos on that tank.

Thanks Ray,

I appreciate your compliment. Things are going well with temps, perims and livestock.

I hope to start getting some great frags after the holidays. I will post some more pics soon.

Thanks again,

Coralbuff

Coralbuff:

Tank is looking great. Alot of progress since the last time I dropped in. Keep it up and I can't wait to see what santa brings!

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Do you think Santa uses heat packs? I hope so!

Coralbuff

OK GODS OF THE LUMENS HELP ME OUT HERE!

While the gsp's, shromies and even the open brain are doing great. The torch seems to be doing just ok :mellow: . I know it can open up more cuz I moved it to my 50g. ( brighter) tank and it nearly doubled in size in one day :D ! I have a 150wMH I puchased for my 50g. so I am thinking of switching over to one set of the 130w PC (65w 03actinic) (65w 10K) That I would be removing from my 50g. to fit the MH.

I am concerned about heat so I may need to incorporate one of Chris Nanocustomes chillers.

My 50g. has just PCs(260w)and is sucsessfuly suporting SPS' (actually growing Monti's and Dearhorns) I started 6 months ago with a dime size chip of orange monti put it up high in the tank and it is now larger than half dollar size, So I think this would be plenty of light for some of the more light demanding lps varieties. If that goes well, I may experiment with a small sps frag later. ( I promise to watch it closely :lol: )

Please give me some input.

Thanks in advance,

Coralbuff

While the gsp's, shromies and even the open brain are doing great. The torch seems to be doing just ok . I know it can open up more cuz I moved it to my 50g. ( brighter) tank and it nearly doubled in size in one day ! I have a 150wMH I puchased for my 50g. so I am thinking of switching over to one set of the 130w PC (65w 03actinic) (65w 10K) That I would be removing from my 50g. to fit the MH.

I am concerned about heat so I may need to incorporate one of Chris Nanocustomes chillers.

While I'm no god of lumens, I'd say no need for so much light over such a small tank. I would think the intensity of PC's would benefit the situation though. What about adding 24 to 48 watts of pc retros, will it fit? If not, try just leaving the torch alone for awhile. I've got a large hammer that came from under MH. It didn't fully expand under the stock 24 NC lighting for about a month, now it seems too big.

Merry Christmas / Happy Chanukah

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ray,

You were right it seems to be fine now. I guess I will just stay with the lighting I have for now. I need to do some more pics so people can see the progress so far. I will try for this weekend.

Thanks again,

coralbuff

awesome tank, love the woodwork! keep an eye on that arrow crab, though. i've seen them eat snails and hermits, attack shrimp and small fish, and i've heard of them occasionally nipping at corals.

awesome tank, love the woodwork! keep an eye on that arrow crab, though. i've seen them eat snails and hermits, attack shrimp and small fish, and i've heard of them occasionally nipping at corals.

Thanks for the compliment and heads up. I am watching the arrow closely. I noticed 3 bristle worms so put him in temporarily. He got one at first feeding and one yesturday eve. I have bigger homes for him too. I use them to keep bristles under control.

Thanks again

Coralbuff

That came out beautifully! Congrats on an awesome tank!

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the compliments.

Coralbuff

• 2 weeks later...
Undertheradar

Um...I love the tank, but putting a feather duster in the same tank with an arrow crab is like putting a linkia starfish in a tank with a harlequin shrimp.

Um...I love the tank, but putting a feather duster in the same tank with an arrow crab is like putting a linkia starfish in a tank with a harlequin shrimp.

He was only in a short time, to get rid of some bristles. I kept a close watch on him and he never bothered the duster at all. I appreciate your concern and compliment.

Thanks,

coralbuff

im assuming that this tank was moddeld after the 6.6g petco tanki? either wy, this one looks hella better, came out good too

Thanks NanoGal13,

Yea, I saw the petco tank last summer but thought I could build a better system and started with a 6 place betta tank. I really like the alternating flow direction it keeps things moving back and forth and helps keep the rock and corals cleaner. If you did'nt already,check out the early posts and you will see how it is modified to be a complete self contained system.

Thanks again,

coralbuff

OK!

Here are some pics of the progress with stocking.

Hope you like them!

Coralbuff

Nice tank! Great tank format - are you running any type of filtration or just WC?

Nice tank! Great tank format - are you running any type of filtration or just WC?

Thanks melbourne,

Check out the early posts. I am running filtration that I built into the tank.(pictures of the process) I did this by building surface skimmer/filtration chambers on each end of the tank. I am running rubble, Phosguard, chemipure, amonia pads and floss. There are minijet 404's on each end running at alternate 40 second intervals. I also run a small heater in one chamber as well. Current USA Nova T5 lighting (14w 10k and 14w actinic) was used along with some homemade moon lights to complete the alumination. I chose T5's since they put out less heat and the tank is only 8" deep. I installed 2, 2" fans in the canopy for cooling. Temps are good ranging from 79-81 but usally holding close to 80. Water perims are also good, I do .5gal. weekly changes(and RO topoffs ofcourse) and change the floss weekly as well.

Thanks again,

coralbuff

• 2 weeks later...
this thread is probably the best thread i have read so far start to finish. great journal of what you have done.

ADAM

Thanks Adam,

I really enjoyed building the system and sharing how I did it. I hope others have benifited or got some ideas to help them with their own systems. I wanted to do the self contained Pico simply because I do not like seeing equipment on aquariums. I like the clean look. :D

Thanks again,

coralbuff

Archived