SaltCritters.com

Custom 10-Gallon Canopy Plans

ross76053

Mark,

Yep, I think maybe an inch or so more height would be fine. Not sure about the plexiglass under the halide(s) though. Might be too hot & melt it. I'd definitely go with larger fans for sure, & leave the back of the hood open.

I'm in the process of building a stand/hood for my new 75, which'll be sporting two 175w halides. I'll probably use the same type design.

Hey, thanks for the compliments.....

Ross

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

adinsxq & xxaquanutxx,

Thank you my brothers....

Don't have the 10-gallon tank anymore. I was uhm... *cough, cough*... "defeated" by algae.

So I'm working on this:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this very informative DIY project.

I have a question: The woodwork will be no problem in my workshop, however, since I am new at this, would you or anyone please post what typwe of lighting that would be optimal in this hood. Please also post sources.

Thanks in advance.....

would you or anyone please post what typwe of lighting that would be optimal in this hood
Aldive, can't answer the lighting question until you know what you want to keep in your tank. Do some reading in this forum and www.reefcentral.com on lighting. All your questions will be answered there. If not, post away & we'll help.

BTW - I used compact fluorescent 2x36W white/actinic combo. Around $100 at hellolights.com.

HTH,

Ross

Where's the pic of the nail thru the finger??? And how's it doing now?

Good looking stand. I finally did some wood working with a hack saw, mitre box, and trim for a 65G stand. Thank god for wood filler. :)

What exactly is this "project board" or "project wood" that you used? Is it a laminate or is it "real" wood?

I looked at Home Depot and asked - they have never heard of it. Maybe they call it something else.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Great job and nice pics. If you're ever looking for just something to do to it, swap it out for a 15gal XH. It's the same 10x20 as a 10gal but much more glass area which makes it look 10x better with a taller hood.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
KansasCoral-Nu-B

i have to say thanks too. i just finished cutting my wood, err.. the wood for the project. couldnt have done it with out this post.

• 2 weeks later...
wallywaltt

Would anyone like to give dimensions for a similar hood for a 5.5?

And does your tank just slide down into the bottum cover you made?

Yup - it just rests on it. But I've seen reefers who just make a three sided frame and just slide it around the bottom of their tanks - much easier.

Ross

wallywaltt

Thanx for the detailed instructions Ross. i was able to construct something similar, still a work in progress:

Canopy_primered.jpg

wallywaltt

Yep, standard 10, used the same dimensions you gave. Word of advice, dont count on Home Depot making your cuts, they screwed up a whole piece of wood, then said "oh, we cant make precise cuts" but the cut was 4 inches off!!

Archived