Pod Your Reef

Custom 10-Gallon Canopy Plans

ross76053

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next - the sealant.... I've done much research on sealants for marine use and have found that "Varathane" is the best product on the market. Use at least four coats, and allow a couple of hours between coatings.

Here's the hood after it was sealed:

Same with the inside of the hood - use at least four coats. Remember the 1/2 x 1 inch trim I used to hold the glass in place? I had to use a freakin' small kid's paint brush to seal in between it. This sucked. Four... count 'em, four times.

I added some wire management clips to the inside of the hood. You can place yours wherever you need them. Just be sure to pre-drill the screw holes.

I won't go into the fan wiring - that's another topic. If you need help, PM me. I do suggest/use shrink wrap for electrical wire. Keeps water out.

Looks great ross.. makes me want to have a full garage of tools.. my apt. neighbors would complain if I had all that out on my balcony!

Actually, what I'm most interested in is in that last post of yours.. is that a Tiffany lamp next to your nano?? (how off topic eh?)

Ross,

Is the glass you used just a regular old peice of glass, or is it tempered? I'm wondering because I plan on doing a similar hood and I'm not sure whether tempered glass is necessary, or do the fans really keep the glass from getting too hot? Also does the light passing through the glass cause any reduction in the lights quality?

I think you'll see a reduction in light quality/quantity through any material.. how much is dependant upon the quality of the glass... chances are it's not noticeable immediately, but build up of salt on it from splashes will begin to degrade the amount of light that penetrates the glass, then has to penetrate the water...

jojopus...the glass I'm using now is plexiglass - sorry I should have been more specific...I'll be sure to change it (was really late when I posted). I've heard different reviews for plexiglass used on a hood, with bowing, yellowing, etc. I bought the most expensive sheet I could find in hopes that this won't happen. We'll see.

The fans DO keep the plexiglass from getting very hot. If the plexiglass doesn't work out, I'll go to a glass shop and have a custom piece of glass made. As far as the plexiglass reducing the lights' quality - not sure. I'm not too worried about it. I've got the glass far enough off the water that it doesn't get splashed.

I will say this - my previous hood had the lights about 2 1/2 inches off the water. This hood has 'em about 4 1/2 inches off, and the overall color of the corals is much better. My frogspawn looks more green (my wife noticed), and my candy cane looks more blue.

Oh, and you can get Varathane sealant at Lowe's Home Improvement stores. If you have no idea what "Lowe's" is, you can probably find it at most home improvement stores. The stuff is expensive - I paid $60 for a gallon, knowing I'd probably make more than one hood. But I've seen quarts as well for around $20.

Damn good job on the hood and the write up... Maybe this should be made into an article and posted in the articles page. Unfortunately most people do not consult the articles before posting but enough with that. Good job again Ross.

Interesting regarding the overall color with regards to height. I'm guessing the lighting has more distance/space to diffuse and doesn't quite nail the corals with the full blast so suddenly (distance wise) if that makes sense. Most larger tanks have a much larger distance between the corals and the lights.

Once again good job.

Thanks I went to home depot and didn't see it how about polyacrylic or something like that...
Yep, that'll work fine. I use the term "plexiglass" as a general term for plastic glass. Mine's actually a "Lexan XL10" sheet.
I'm guessing the lighting has more distance/space to diffuse and doesn't quite nail the corals with the full blast so suddenly
Exactly what I was thinking... Tried to explain it to my wife that way, but she looked at me like I was nuts. I've also discovered I'm now able to keep my tank at a constant 78 degrees.

Thanks for the compliments!

Thats an awesome job Ross.

After looking at this, I do not think I can do this myself. I think I am gonna have somebody do it for me.

Just a thought. Would it be possible to make the hood in such a way that you can adjust the distance between the light and the water level? Would it be too difficult?

Good job man...

Orange Crush

Great job! I'm thinking of trading in my minibow for a ten just to take on this project and play with my husband's new air compressor :)

Just a thought. Would it be possible to make the hood in such a way that you can adjust the distance between the light and the water level? Would it be too difficult?

In theory, and I'm no carpenter here, but I've watched my share of the New Yankee Workshop, and Amy Wyn is one of my personal heroes, but I'd say, if you wanted to make it adjustable (though I'm not sure why you'd want to do this...) you could mount the lighting on a seperate piece of plywood, cut to fit the inside of the hood. Then you could drill some um..shelf brackets? like your kitchen cabinets might have?...anyway, drill some holes at intervals and use those to move the lighting if you want to. Don't know about the wiring on this. I don't have any electrician personal heroes, cept maybe my husband.

Damnit OC.. I was gonna post almost the same thing.. could also put in some thin long wood braces spaced about 1/2" apart from top to bottom (or however far down), on both sides of the hood.. then like OC said, you could use a piece of plywood with your drilled lighting into it, then just slide the plywood "rack" from one slot to another to adjust it's height (assuming it's open in the back)

Archived