inTank Media Baskets

Custom 10-Gallon Canopy Plans

ross76053

...and my glass holder for the front piece. If you choose this method of mounting your glass, your measurements need to be precise for each piece, or your glass won't slide in properly.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went ahead and mounted my fans & covers to finalize the threads in the wood before staining/sealing. Just thought it would be easier.

Okay... Now it was time to glue the front & two side pieces to the top piece. But as you can see, the 1/2 x 1 inch trim I so carefully mounted was too long on the sides (I didn't take the mitered corners into account). Doh!

So after after kicking the dog (I'm kidding, I don't have a dog), I chiseled off said 1/2 x 1 inch trim pieces and re-cut & mounted them. Don't let this happen to you.

Time for glue. I can't stress enough how careful you've gotta be with the glue. If you get ANY of it on the outer side of your wood, you're gonna see it after you stain/seal it. And it'll be an eyesore. Even if you spot it before staining, you'll never be able to sand it off completely.

So carefully glue the sides & front piece to the underside of the top piece, being sure to babysit it for a few minutes to watch for glue runnage.

I also used a small amount of glue between the mitered corners, but was very careful.

They say when wood glue dries, it's just as strong as wood itself, but I made a couple of corner supports to make the corners a bit sturdier.

I measured & mitered one front & two side pieces. This took some time, and I wasted a few pieces because I was careless. Working with this stuff isn't easy - you'll just have to play with it & learn as you go.

Oh, and don't worry if your pieces don't line up perfectly. Wood filler is your friend, as you'll see later.

I went ahead and set my reflector & 13w PC kit into the hood, and marked/pre-drilled the holes. Then I screwed them in to finalize the threads in the holes.

Then I removed all of it.

I decided to paint the inside of the hood before I stained the outside. I used white wood primer - four coats. There are many brands available...this is what I used.

I noticed immediately that this stuff spreads on really thin. That's when I knew multiple coats were needed. Thank goodness for the garage television.

Time to prepare the outer wood for stain. There were areas everywhere that needed wood filler. The stuff works magic - be sure to fill every crack/hole you see, especially on the corners.

Finally time for the stain. Before staining, be sure to use a tack cloth to remove all wood dust - very important. There are many brands of stain available...this is my choice...in "red oak" color.

Archived