Cultivated Reef

[STOCK] Casabubu

Casabubu

ahhh!! I need a way to add iodine to my tank without causing it to crash! My hermits have been losing legs.. Does anyone now of a good product or way to increase iodine levels in such a small tank?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most tanks don't need any more than is provided by regular (at least weekly) partial waterchanges. But if you want to try, get Salifert's Natural Iodine... Slaifert also makes the only decent Iodine test kit out there. Got to love those Dutch...

Jared

Argh... I need help getting my new fish to eat... Its a small watchman goby (less than 1"). Every time I approach the tank he goes back into his hole and hides. If I put the food in the tank anyways, the food settles before he even comes back out of his hole. Its really bad because I have a bunch of food just decomposing in my tank and a very hungry fish. I have been trying to feed him frozen krill and flakes. I have had him for five days now. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Well I came home from skiing to find my tank at 70 degrees and the filter turned off. The heater was in the filter, and was exposed to air for what had to be days. Amazyingly enough I fixed the filter and the heater and they are both running perfectly fine. My tank is back up to 80 degrees and oscar (my watchman goby) and the corals are fine.

Heres a pic of oscar. This little guy is full of personality! I named oscar because he reminds me of oscar the grouch.

1219oscar-copy.jpg

Also, I got an email from cjerome saying that my nimble will be shiped today. I cant wait!

Eeeek! Good to hear that your stock has not suffered any long term effects from the accidental winter chill. What was wrong with the filter anyhow?

I love those zoas, they have really orange mouths. :wub:.

Is Oscar eating OK now?

Best regards

Ann

Oscar is eating pretty well now, but is still really shy. Funny thing is he loves his formula 1 flakes but wont touch the frozen krill!

The filter had just turned off. I just unpluged it and repluged it back in and it worked fine. It does make me a little worried though. I was just about to get a bunch of expensive corals untill hat happened. Now I think I will have to replace the filter before I do that....

Good to hear that Oscar has settled in nicely, I'm sure that he'll get bolder as time progresses.

Hmm, perhaps the filter developed an airlock? It's worrying when an essential piece of kit like that stops working for whatever reason. Don't these things always seem to happen when we are away too. :(

Best regards

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, its been a while since i last updated. Well, theres not much to update really. I got my nimble nano and my tank is sparkling clean :) (thank you cjerome). Oscar is doing fine but he is still very shy :(. The zoas are growing and coloring up like crazy. Still havent bought any new corals, but probably will soon. Im thinking about ading a whole bunch of corals within a couple weeks (acans, yumas, zoas, ect...). Anyways, thats it for now!

Ill give you pics when I have something to take a pic about!! Im *hopefully* getting a bunch of coral and will update then. I found a place where I can get a great deal, so we'll see how that goes.... In the meantime, I will have to keep you in suspense :). Besides, I have finals that I have to study right now :wacko: (I hate polyatomic ions :()

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!! oscar is only getting more shy! Could any of you fish people please tell me how to make him less shy? I mean, ive had him for a couple months now!!

I don't know what to suggest really. If the tank were larger I would have said add a 'dither' fish such as a Chromis or some other bold open water swimming fish. Such species can make shy fish feel safer and give them the confidence to come out into the open more. What's Oscar like at feeding times, does he come out then?

Best regards

Ann

I see oscar once every couple days. However, if I get close to the tank, he bolts back into his hole. For now, I have just been shuving food into where he generally stays. He doesnt seem to be starving, as he never comes out for food. I dont know what to do!! He used to not be so shy, as in he would watch e for hours and come out if fooddrifted really close to his hole. Now I rarely see him!!!

I guess Ill move him into a larger tank where I can get an active fish at the end of the contest.

I'd say maybe get Oscar a pistol shrimp. Most of the Gobi that I have seen in person are either more bold or just more visible when paired up with a shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think my tank is in real need of an update. Oscar is still very shy and will never come out for me. I did buy some new corals from yourreef.com. I bought a frag of green nepthia, the 5 zoa frag pack, a green ric, pink zoas and a chalice. The chalice was really a really nice purple with pink eyes. However, the galexia fell on it while I was on vacation, and by the time I could rescue the poor chalice, there where dead spots all over it :(. The galexia died, but not without nearly bringing my beloved chalice with it. Any sugestions of what I can do to help my chalice out would be great.

Heres a pic of my favorite frag in the tank right now, my pink zoas. (the pinks zoas and chalice used to both be my favorite, however the chalice isnt looking so hot right now.)

pinks-copy.jpg

Heres a pic of the chalice before the galexia fell on it.

chalicebefore-copy.jpg

And here is a recent pic of the chalice. I dont know much about chalices, so if someone could tell me the chance of survival on this guy, along with what I should be doing to improve its chances, that would be great.

chaliceafter-copy.jpg

And finaly a couple fts's. The first is just actinic

1-30ftsa-copy.jpg

And here is an up to date picture of how it stands today.

1-30ftsn-copy.jpg

I dont know what my camera has a problem with the zoas in the center that look brown. In real life, there green with orange mouths and are actually quite nice.

Just keep your water quality in tip top condition and the chalice will pull through. Is it possible to feed it? I don't know as I've never kept one of these corals before.

I really like the pink zoanthids. :wub:

Best regards

Ann

Tank looking good. Nice Pink Zoas, I have two pink morphs that are very similar. One I got from Reefer Madness and the other from a fellow reefer. Need to add a frag to my tank :)

I wouldnt mind having another morph of pink zoas ;). Sigh, the chalice is making me agrivated. It was the center piece of my tank, but at the moment it is nothing but an eye sore. I just keep telling myself that the weird white stuff growing on it at an insane rate is just a form of it healing. What can I say, im an optimist :).

Heres an updated pic of the chalice:

CHalice2-3-061-copy.jpg

GGOOOOOODDDDDDD!!!!!! I hate galexia.

Archived