SaltCritters.com

[STOCK] Casabubu

Casabubu

I finished my canopy today :D !! It actully came out quite nice. Now I have to fill the canopy, stain the canopy, and make a base. Now I just have to find my stupid camera so I can snap a pic.... :wacko:

I actually have alot planned for this canopy. I will be having two parabolic reflectors (one for each 9w bulb), two individual switchs for the 10k and actinic light, an ATO inside, and a fan. B)

Also, I heard from both premium aquatics and thatpetplace.com (where I bought my equipment). Premium aquatics fixed my order and (hopefully) shipped it yesterday. So hopefully my lr/ls will come tomorrow. Also, thatpetplace.com told me that my backordered filter will come in on the nineth, and wont arrive at my house untill around the sixteenth.

So, pretty much good news today :) (though I still have to order a new actinic bulb)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I think that I'm gonna end up buying a good reflector for mine to get the most out of the 18 watts I can. I just posted pics of my canopy in my thread. Birch is a light wood right, color wise.

Yes, birch is a very light wood, and with the stain, I hope to keep it that way.

Also, I will be making a parabolic reflector. I recommend that you do the same as it will save a ton of money ;) . I am using aluminum sheets from homedepot (in the gutter section). They cost 75 cents, and are very reflective. Also, they are very maleable and can be bent into many shapes easily.

I usualy use the edge of a table, or somethign really straight, and then bend it using a book to press it. it bends it really evenly and cleanely.

Good idea, I think I will do that.

Interestingly enough, this canopy has not been very expensive to make:

$5-wood

$0.75- aluminum

$0- fan, ac-dc converter, and switches

total cost:$5.75

GOD!!! I cant find my FRICKIN camera!!!! I really want to update though! The hood came out beutifuly. Now off to look for the camera some more...

I FOUND MY CAMERA omgomgomg !!! Of course, it cas in the most obvious place...on top of my stereo... ;) It always seems like the things you lose are always right under your nose.. whatever im just glad i found it! :D

Im taking pictures as we speak B)

Time for an update!!

Her is my new canopy. It is made out of birch plywood, yet i still managed to have only grain exposed B)

canopy_.JPG

Hers a pic of it on the tank

canopy_on_tank.JPG

Heres the inside; ready to be filled

inside_of_canopy.JPG

And heres an example of what all the pieces look like. as you can see, I cut all the edges at a 45 degree angle. It was a tedious task, but I think it really enhanced the look of this canopy.

peace_of_canopy.JPG

wow to not be lazy, if you check out my hood I have nails expoesd, but it only took me an hour to make mine, it was a spur of the moment thing. good job it looks great

Im happy the way my hood came out :). Anyways, I should have gotten my lr/ls yesterday....

btw; does anyone know if stock participants are allowed to install moonlights in there canopy? Im assuming its o.k. because the guys who bought the current fixture get it automatically, however some verification would be nice.

Well, just got an email from premiumaquatics that says my package was not actually shipped till wednesday, and wont be arriving untill friday :huh: . Its o.k... it just gives me more time to finish my base!

I was pretty happy with it, however, it seemed to have a more blue hue to it then I expected. It definentaly seemed sufficient for softies and most lps.

Alright, I got my live rock and live sand in yesturday night. The tank is up and running right now. I have been pretty busy with a waterpolo tournement and studying, but I will try to update sometime tonight.

gosh my live rock is sooo clean! I havent seen any hitch hikers yet-not even a small snail!Unfortuanantly my dad went on a buisness trip and took the camera, so no camera updates till next wednesday :(

ARRGHH I need a camera!! Theres so much to update! I installed the switches, parabolic reflectors (which came out awesome), ballasts, and I am almost done with the ATO (truly automatic, not a drip system). Also, I decided to leave the fan out of the canopy during winter. I will try to get pics tommorow or the day after.

Finished ato and base! I know these updates are almost useless without pics, but just letting you guys know ;) . Also, my backordered filter should be coming within a couple days. Unfortuanantly, my dad wont be coming untill late at night on thursday, and I wont be able to take pics till friday :(

On another note, My live rock has excellent shapes (mostly marshall), but is very clean. Im finally starting to see tiny macro algae poping out of the rocks. However, I still have not seen a single moving or coral hitchhiker. I just watch the tiny little sea fans scattered on the rocks.

Test Results:

4 days ago:

trite:1

trate:2

amonia:0.5

PH:8.2

Today:

trite:0.5

trate:1

amonia:0-0.25

PH:8.2

So not much of cycle for this live rock. I think it has to do with how clean it was.

Alright, this thread is in need for an update!

first, we have a pic of the inside of the canopy. Notice the switches on the right, the paroboloic reflector in the middle, and the ATO on the left.

filled_canopy.JPG

Heres a pic of the ATO. It automatically fills the tank with water when it needs it, and does not use the drip meathod

ato.JPG

And finally the fts. Remeber, I still havent replaced the broken actnic, hence the white hue.

More pics to come. My camera needs to charge ;)

I love the rock also. Its the "nano rock" from PA. I havent aquascaped at all though because I plan to put alot of rock in the power filter when it comes.

Archived