Coral Vue Hydros

Palytoxin...The issue has come up many-a-time

Caesar777

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I freaking ran out an bought up a bunch of actifed......

They did this in the 90's by limiting ether, then acetone, then all other organic solvents...then the meth head started using gasoline and kerosine as solvent...blah, blah, blah. Reuqiring scripts for OTC decongestants is a feable bandaid at best!

Nuf hijacking....more toxins!!! Neo - tell us a story :)

this topic brings up a good point...i was fragging some zoos a few weeks back and got shot directly in the eyes. i do wear contacts and i went to the bathroom and took 'em out. i put on my glasses and kept fragging though. never felt a single thing. perhaps some of this is all in people's heads?

So are we really saying Zoas and button polyps (arent those paylotha?) arent deadly? Im not sure I buy that. Arent there a bunch of relatively decent articles saying the opposite (i.e. we arent just talking a bunch of aquarists shooting the ###### about this)?

The deadly toxin is in one species in particular. The rest of "zoanthid/palythoa kind" may or may not be toxic, but certainly not to that level.

My dog ate some Sinularia polydactyla and was pooping blood for a week. (Snuck in when I was fragging, vet cost me $110! But at least he's okay.)

It is analogous to poison dart frogs. Only a single species (P. terrabilus) is deadly. That's the species the Choco indians rub there dart tips on to kill game (D-Tubocurarine is the toxin). Take that species out of the wild and they lose the ability to make a lethal toxin (must be a diet component). All other species are toxic, but not deadly....maybe more like noxious.

Now, we almost could get homeowners insurance cause they though we had frogs jumping around that could kill anyone who comes in contact with them.

Dogs are very similar to people.....I get stung by a bee, I get ####ed off, you get stung and die. That specific dog probably was hypersensitive or allergic and tragically died.

your saying that all my carefulness to avoid direct contact with zoa's have been all for nothing? ???

wich is strange ive read on other forums of how other ppl have gotten considerably ill after handeling Zoa's (accidentally squishing them or getting squirted) and im talking hospital sick.

Originally posted by Mr. Piranha

your saying that all my carefulness to avoid direct contact with zoa's have been all for nothing? ???  

wich is strange ive read on other forums of how other ppl have gotten considerably ill after handeling Zoa's (accidentally squishing them or getting squirted) and im talking hospital sick.

in case you didn't read what i wrote up there...

Originally posted by yoshiod9

i was fragging some zoos a few weeks back and got shot directly in the eyes.  i do wear contacts and i went to the bathroom and took 'em out.  i put on my glasses and kept fragging though.  never felt a single thing.  perhaps some of this is all in people's heads?

i wouldn't say that being careful is all for nothing, but hell, i got sprayed in the eyes...i would think something would've happened. i mean, i got uv sickness from a faulty 70w de metal halide. so yeah, i'm not all iron will, ya know?

Originally posted by onthefly

Ahhh............pertussis toxin!

You know my PhD is on viral chemokines and GPCRs :)

I dabble in toxins though......

I wanna be a pathologist too!!!!! You're my new hero:*(

Funny nobody corrected this....

"It is analogous to poison dart frogs. Only a single species (P. terrabilus) is deadly. That's the species the Choco indians rub there dart tips on to kill game (D-Tubocurarine is the toxin). Take that species out of the wild and they lose the ability to make a lethal toxin (must be a diet component). All other species are toxic, but not deadly....maybe more like noxious."

Incorrect. NO dart frog is naturally poisonous. They eat insects that are poisonous, and retain that toxin in their skin. (Kinda like nudibranchs that eat toxic animals.) Phyllobates terriblis is the most toxic one, but who knows why--maybe it's the location that has the best, most-toxic bugs, or who knows. Regardless, if bred in captivity, NO dart frog will have ANY toxicity whatsoever. Just for the record...

Originally posted by yoshiod9

in case you didn't read what i wrote up there...  

i wouldn't say that being careful is all for nothing, but hell, i got sprayed in the eyes...i would think something would've happened.  i mean, i got uv sickness from a faulty 70w de metal halide.  so yeah, i'm not all iron will, ya know?

Mmmm but still others have gotten really sick, so i think it all comes back to species of zoo's, who has the toxin and who dosent? because i am fairly shure some zoo's carry palyotoxins

Originally posted by Mr. Piranha

Mmmm but still others have gotten really sick, so i think it all comes back to species of zoo's, who has the toxin and who dosent? because i am fairly shure some zoo's carry palyotoxins

Eric Borneman claims that all zoos and paly contain the toxin. I think he doesn't know what he is talking about. Either, that, or all zoos/paly have it, but it is only deadly/damaging in certain species.

Also some info says that palytoxin is not actually produced by the zoo/paly, but rather by dinoflagellates that live in the zoos/palys, hence why there are several other organisms (which contain these dinoflagellates) that make/use palytoxin.

Both Borneman and Calfo are heavily druged on the whole palytoxin thing.

It is possible that you could get the palytoxin from messing with zoos, but in my opinion based on what I have read, it seems more likely that you would get infection from all the other nasty stuff. Zoos/paly eat bacteria, which has quite the ability to cause infection.

One way to figure out which ones are toxic and which are not would be to go through the common zoos and paly morphs using a palytoxin assay which I believe uses antibodies to detect the toxin. There are probably other chemical approaches too.

I just think it is funny Borneman would make such a huge claim, yet provide no scientific evidence that all zoos/paly have the palytoxin. At least I could find any literature saying so, but I guess if anyone sees anything, let me know.

Originally posted by onthefly

Take that species out of the wild and they lose the ability to make a lethal toxin (must be a diet component).

In my previous statement you'll see I clearly reference a dietary requirment for the toxin to be produced.....No one know the origin of the toxin, but since the PDF eat insect it is assumed that is the origin.

My anaolgy was to the fact that not all species are deadly, even in the wild. Not that Zoa's lose toxicity in captivity.

Hehe... This: I just think it is funny Borneman would make such a huge claim, yet provide no scientific evidence that all zoos/paly have the palytoxin. At least I could find any literature saying so, but I guess if anyone sees anything, let me know.

So many people think they KNOW so much about palytoxin (coughmrandersoncough) when NOBODY knows much at all about it; certainly very little info other than the concrete findings above is known for sure.

Oh, dart frogs...Again, NONE are naturally toxic. ALL are toxic because of what they eat. Terriblis just happens to be the most toxic, but, like all other darts, are not toxic at all in captivity. Rather beautiful, too; the mint phase, especially, have a lovely subtle beauty.

Archived