SaltCritters.com

$3.00 NanoCube ballast

halfpint

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice, ma_sha1! I like that T5s run on these, too. I wonder how the color spectrum changes with these ballasts VS. a good ballast.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried this with a t5 ho bulb? example using the 24 watt ballast to power a 24" 24 watt t5ho bulb? Thanks

I am not expert on T5HO, but I believe T5HO is actually achieved by higher watt ballast

over driving regular T5 Bulbs. I.E. Put two 24W ballast together to drive one T5 24W bulb.

As a result, you will generate 50% more light, roughly 36W instead of 48W of light.

Because over driving will lose some efficiency.

I am driving the 6W bulb with a 9W DIY ballast, technically I am doing T5HO. I could probably

drive the 6W bulb with a 12W ballast.

If you use a 24W ballast, no matter what bulb you put on there, it's not going to give

you over 24W of light.

• 2 months later...

Just an update: I started my upgrade to 3 x 24 for my NC 12. I have the ballasts wired, and now I'm just waiting on the lamps, bulb clips, and sockets to come in the mail from NanoTuners. :happy:

• 6 months later...

Oh, the upgrade went well. I now have 72w PC in the tank. It looks real nice. It will be a nice looking brightness, once I aquascape it and add some fish. I have a small leather frag that is growing nicely under the new lights.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived