Top Shelf Aquatics

$3.00 NanoCube ballast

halfpint

I guess you could. I just don't know how much longer they are going to last. You get what I'm saying?

I think that for the price and trouble involved in doing this mod, I would use new ones.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting ready to replace two ballasts in my ViaAqua tank and add another to my NanoCube. 72 WATTS BABY!!! I'll fully document the procedure so there are some easier instuctions to follow.

...and for those "tree huggers" out there, this time I'll try not to break any of the bulbs. mmkay?

The Propagator

I am lazy so I didnt read this long arse thread :)

BUT

Has anyone mentioned that youcan use a magnetic 20w NO ballast from HD to power up one 13w GX23 based PC bulb and it only costs like 3 bucks as well?

You dont have to do any smashing and bashing either.

Just use barrel pins for you DIY sockets.

VIOLA cheap easy effective.

• 2 weeks later...
The Propagator

No. They can only light the GX23 base 13w. This is a magnetic ballast and will only light bulbs that have the starter in the base like the GX23 based bulbs.

If you try to use an electronic ballast it will not light the bulbs up and you may burn up the ballast or the bulbs.

stoney waters

NO ballasts are bulky, run hot and create a shorter bulb life. I think what makes the ballasts in this thread so interesting is not only that they are inexpensive, but also compact. They can be placed in areas where NO ballasts could not fit. They also run much cooler and when paired with the right bulb will increase its longevity.

I have been running a 13w setup in a DIY fugelight. Its run flawlessly since I found the right bulb, and its been almost nine months.

stoney waters

I think so. It certainly has worked for halfpint. I remember a thread where someone installed them in their canopy.

This mod should be done with caution, it is not a project for everybody.

hey stoney waters, do you think that the ballast in the above link would work for the dx model lighting?

Yes, you can use them. Just be sure that you get the screw in bulbs that are the correct wattage. NOT the wattage it's equivalent to.

This mod should be done with caution, it is not a project for everybody.

Yes. MUCH caution. If you've never done wiring like this before, you might want to donsider paying someone to do it for you. If you get "popped" by the power coming from one of these, you'll be hurtin'. I speak from experience. I've been electrocuted so many times, I'm kinda used to the occasional pop. The voltage coming from a ballast is usually around 240v, so be very careful. It's esily possible to kill yourself.

Any cheap DIY 55/65W ballasts? One of the ballasts on my coralife 2x65 PC blew a fuse on the circuit board. Is this repairable? If not I need a cheap replacement ballast.

Thanks,

Tony

If the fuse is only soldered onto the circuit board, then you could get exactly the same fuse and re-solder a new one on. It's debateable whether that would be fire-safe because if the fuse is rated higher than the original, you're risking fire.

I'll do some hunting for 55/65W ballasts. I'm not working tomorrow, so it'll give me something to do.

• 5 months later...

Alittle question not trying to hijack the thread, But would the 26w 6500k walmart/home depot bulbs be good for growing anything?????? I was thinking about just getting some cheapo sockets and putting 3 or 4 on my 20H.....

Also what is an easy way of making sockets for a regular t5 bulb... would just crimping some female pin sockets work?

• 1 month later...
I did some experimentation today with a 10 Watts ballast and a 15Watts 18 Inches T5.

I was suprised to see that is was working GREAT! I let it go for about an hour and ballast was warm but I could keep my hand easily on it... doesn't look like it was going to burn.

You can see all the pictures here:

http://www.monaquarium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

Interesting. That looks promising. You wouldn't know someone with a spectrometer or lux meter, would you? :P

Alittle question not trying to hijack the thread, But would the 26w 6500k walmart/home depot bulbs be good for growing anything?????? I was thinking about just getting some cheapo sockets and putting 3 or 4 on my 20H.....

Also what is an easy way of making sockets for a regular t5 bulb... would just crimping some female pin sockets work?

They would be okay for growing algae (such as chaeto or other macro algaes) but not for sustaining life in a normal aquarium.

As for the t5 sockets, you should be able to buy some push-on connectors that will work fine. Just make sure they are snug, because any looseness will cause heat buildup.

I would imagine so, however the heat might crack the glass. You would have to do it quickly and let it cool naturally. By that, I mean don't blow on it after soldering, as the rapid cooling might increase the chances of the glass cracking. Interesting idea, though. I might give it a try on my next project.

Yes, it works fine.

My new bulbs came today and I added a second 24 watt to my NC12 hood.

My 25 watt iron attached wires to the pins easily.

Now I'm wondering if I could drop the ballasts down in small plastic bottles and encase them in epoxy. Like little salt proof hockey pucks

• 9 months later...

if its +/- 1-2 watts it should be fine.

people over drive PC and T5 all the time.

they have CFL bulbs at homedepot and osh for like less then $2 and u get like 4 bulbs...

i picked up 4 18w bulbs for $1.97. im going to use that for my fuge.

if its +/- 1-2 watts it should be fine.

people over drive PC and T5 all the time.

they have CFL bulbs at homedepot and osh for like less then $2 and u get like 4 bulbs...

i picked up 4 18w bulbs for $1.97. im going to use that for my fuge.

WOW! 4 18w for $1.97 you guys are so lucky. down here in Montreal Canada home depot has only one brand in 18W Outdoor Energy Saver and its $11.98 a piece.

I wish i can get it from where you guys leave.

You read the title correctly. $3.00 for a replacement JBJ NanoCube ballast. Here's how to do it:

Go to Wal*Mart or Lowes or Home Depot and get a three pack of 26Watt power compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs. The three pack costs $9.00 where i live. when you get home, take one of the bulbs out of the package and cover the bulb in two paper towels. put it in a trash can and smash the bulb with something heavy. i used an iron rod that was long enough to keep me out of harm's way. Be careful when smashing them because they are pressurised and will "explode" when broken. that is the purpose of the paper towels. Next, take your bulb base out of the trash, being careful not to get cut on the glass pieces sticking out of the bulb's base. while holding the top of the bulb with a towel, lightly crunch the metal part of the base of the bulb as to crack the plastic behind the metal. be careful because there is a diode, capacitor, or something like that inside the base. if you crunch it enough, the metal should slide off. now comes the tricky part. carefully break away the plastic with needle-nosed pliars or wire cutters until the bottom half of the base can be easily seperated from the top. once you hace removed the bottom half of the base, you will now be looking at a circuit board with some parts on it. check it over carefully to be sure you didn't cut or damge any of the parts. with that done, you will notice two pairs of thin metal posts on alternate edges of the circuit board. there will be a small copper wire wrapped around each of these posts. unwrap the wires and the ballast/circuitboard should now be free from the remailing piece of circuit board. CAREFULLY and LIGHTLY put one of the edges of the ballast in a vice. use a lodering iron to remove the four wire-posts that you removed the wires from. then solder the new ballast wires in the same holes. Also, solder the piwer supply in. be sure you do not reverse the black and white wires. you will see a "A1", "A2", "A3", and "A4" by each of the holes that the bulb's plug wires are soldered into. you will need to plug the wires into the bulb in the order i listed the numbers. otherwise, the bulb will not fire. to be sure that the underside of the circuit board does not get shorted out on any metal it might touch, you can cut a small piece of wood and Zip-Tie it to the piece of wood. heck, you could even make a cool looking ballast case out of wood. just be sure to put some vents in the box. plug it all in and it should work. the new ballst should last a long time since the bulbs are guaranteed to work for 5 years.

good luck.

cheap is not always the best, do u know how these lights work? once smashed without being on, the mercury is able to go into the surronding area, note that mercury is a tricky substance...trace amounts can seep into wood or other items once the light is smashed, plus where do u think this mercury ends up if it doesn't happen to seep into surrounding items?

go to an electronics store and look for the same parts you found in that light bulb, its gonna be easier then carefully prying appart one of those lights

btw, there are reasons why these light bulbs are and should not be just thrown away...

Archived