Innovative Marine Aquariums

$3.00 NanoCube ballast

halfpint

I have actually used two of the ballasts, both without breaking the bulb. It's pretty easy actually. The casing is only clipped together, so find a screwdriver or a knife and start prying up the edges of the case. Once they are apart, cut the two power wires going to the base and the bottom comes off. The bulb should have four bare wires coming from it (two on each side) that goes to the ballast. Snip or unwind (they are just wrapped around the post) and you have yourselves a ballast.

No harm done! Just recycle the bulb and you are good to go.

I strongly believe that these run cooler than the stock ballasts that come with most cubes. I actually run mine in the hood with no ill effects on temperature.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator
Yes, you can use them. Just be sure that you get the screw in bulbs that are the correct wattage. NOT the wattage it's equivalent to.

Yes. MUCH caution. If you've never done wiring like this before, you might want to donsider paying someone to do it for you. If you get "popped" by the power coming from one of these, you'll be hurtin'. I speak from experience. I've been electrocuted so many times, I'm kinda used to the occasional pop. The voltage coming from a ballast is usually around 240v, so be very careful. It's esily possible to kill yourself.

Its not the voltage or the watage that will get ya.. its the amperage.

With these things though what are we talking about here mili amps ?

It'll bite ya none the less though !

Its not the voltage or the watage that will get ya.. its the amperage.

With these things though what are we talking about here mili amps ?

It'll bite ya none the less though !

It's obviously not a deadly level of amps, since I got a good 2 second jolt and was fine. My arm was sore afterwards, but fine. It still sucked. :(

Panzy !

:haha:

JOKING

I know it hurts !!

:lol: Yeah, it's not fun.
Make sure it just zaps one hand, it the current goes in one hand and out the other hand it has to cross right through your heart!
Now that's the fun part! When you have to get and AED to start your heart back up! :P
I love this DIY!

8W 10.000K T5, on a 9W ballast.

I would be able to fit 6-8 of these, over my 4.5gal. pico :D

DSC02586.jpg

Nice. How did you figure up the wiring on it? Just trial and error?
how would a 3-way CP 32 watt bulb be used? like this one...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ocStoreNum=1804

Dead link.

i am having hard time finding 18w bulb down here we have 15w and 23w the 18w i found before no one selling it no more, i have 2 1200k 18w and 1 actinic 18w any recommendation please help needed.

thank you.

Hi hyewiz,

If I'm not mistaken, then screw-in bulbs are rated by the mains power they consume (including electronic ballast losses), while your T5 bulbs are rated by the power they draw from their ballast.

The mains power consumption of an 18W T5 (including ballast loss) will be higher, probably about 22-25W.

Using the 23W PC ballast would be your best option IMO.

Regards Hans

darkfishy2690

I'm kinda bad at this electrical stuff, so I have a small question. The powersupply is just a regular plug right not one of those chunky power supplies?

Where do you live?
Sorry for late reply but i live in Montreal, Canada

Hi hyewiz,If I'm not mistaken, then screw-in bulbs are rated by the mains power they consume (including electronic ballast losses), while your T5 bulbs are rated by the power they draw from their ballast.The mains power consumption of an 18W T5 (including ballast loss) will be higher, probably about 22-25W.Using the 23W PC ballast would be your best option IMO.Regards Hans
I don't have T5 bulbs. i was talking about 18W Power Compacts. is the math still same if yes i will buy 23w one.

thank you

I don't have T5 bulbs. i was talking about 18W Power Compacts. is the math still same if yes i will buy 23w one.

thank you

I did some further reading, and it seems like the PC electronic ballasts are highly efficient. You would be slightly overdriving your 18W tubes on a 23W PC ballast. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

Regards Hans

I'm kinda bad at this electrical stuff, so I have a small question. The powersupply is just a regular plug right not one of those chunky power supplies?
I don't intend for this to sound mean, but I don't understand your question, and if you aren't "very good with this electrical stuff" then I would advise either paying someone with experience to do it for you, or not pursue it at all. It poses a risk to fire, electrical shock, and even death. Please make a wise, safe judgement and not do something you don't have enough knowledge to do safely. :)

Sorry for late reply but i live in Montreal, Canada

NP. Um, have you tried maybe looking around online? You might be able to find an american dealer that will ship to CA. If I had the time, I would be more than happy to send you one, but I'm to busy now. Maybe someone else can help you out. :)

I love this DIY!

8W 10.000K T5, on a 9W ballast.

I would be able to fit 6-8 of these, over my 4.5gal. pico :D

DSC02586.jpg

::PNice. How did you figure up the wiring on it? Just trial and error?

Just assumed 1+2 at one end, 3+4 on the other end.

And assumed 1+3 and 2+4 "against" each other.

NP. Um, have you tried maybe looking around online? You might be able to find an american dealer that will ship to CA. If I had the time, I would be more than happy to send you one, but I'm to busy now. Maybe someone else can help you out. :)

Thank you for your thinking, i tried couple online stores but it will cost arm and a leg each bulb to my addy. the shipping charges are killing, well i have them on hold A.T.M. untill i find 3 18w.

thank you again

• 1 month later...

Dont know if I already posted this, but I had an electrical mishap. I was swapping bulbs, and after hooking the bulbs back up, I plugged it in and got some sparks and smoke from the box. So, in fear of an electrical fire, I'm re-doing the whole shebang. I'll be putting new balasts in, adding one more for a total of 72w. I'll be taking more photos of it this time, and be making a better tutoral for those who wish to do this mod. Wish me luck!

rock on dudes.......

so i can run t5s? with them costco bulbs?

wow.......

i wish i logged on a year back at least.....

but i was busy learning the Way of the Computer for the last two years and am running on my own brand spankin new PC with lots of stuff packed in there. driverheaven.net is nice and i learned about how to go about heatsinking LEDs that i was gonna use

ANYWAYS, i am happy to see this working. before i wanted to do this but i convinced myself that itll just explode and ill be going nowhere.

thanks alot halfpint!

wow_it_esploded

When the bulb says "A Replacement for X Wattage incandescent" does that mean that if I use the fluroescent for lighting, not the pc, I can use that number in my wattage per gallon ratings? Like if I put a 40 watt compact fluroescent on a 10 gallon tank that says it is a 200 watt replacement, do I have 20 WPG or 4 WPG?

John

rock on dudes.......

so i can run t5s? with them costco bulbs?

wow.......

i wish i logged on a year back at least.....

but i was busy learning the Way of the Computer for the last two years and am running on my own brand spankin new PC with lots of stuff packed in there. driverheaven.net is nice and i learned about how to go about heatsinking LEDs that i was gonna use

ANYWAYS, i am happy to see this working. before i wanted to do this but i convinced myself that itll just explode and ill be going nowhere.

thanks alot halfpint!

Hey! I'm glad to see I got another person into this. I don't know whether or not T5s will work at optimal performance. I don't know the technology behind them and their ballasts.

If you're good with electronics and don't mind taking the risk, and decide to try the T5s, let us know how well it works. I'm curious how it works.

I was able to do this for a 36w NC24. I purchased two 32W curly lights and followed the same method as described. I had to purchase the 3-way light, but I just removed the red wire (there is a blue, red and white wire) and hooked the power wire for the two ballast in series. Also, since the NC24 has a metal external ballast I used an old DVD case to mount the new ballasts. I cut the DVD case to size, borred out holes in the proper location and used a zip tie to secure to the plastic. Then i screwed the plastic down to the metal case. This way it doesn't short out on the metal and the ballasts are secure to something. I will try to post some pics. Oh ya, the lights fired up immediately, no flicker, and are running great. Also, they are running much cooler. If you have any questions you can respond to my email linked to my account.

what sort of connectors/plugs fix over the pins on the PC bulb?

I'm just using some end-to-end crimp wire connectors, and just slipping them onto the bulb pins. I don't think it's safe, so I'm going to buy some endcaps for when I get the money to do this mod again.

Archived