Innovative Marine Aquariums

$3.00 NanoCube ballast

halfpint

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone run a light meter on any of these bulbs with the cheapo ballasts?

I'd test it first with a stock ballast and a new bulb. Then the cheao-o ballast and the new bulb.

Just because it is lighting up doesn't mean you are getting the same power out of the light, even it if seems as bright to the naked eye.

Here's a little more data on this practice:

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/diy/

There's a pretty easy way to tell if the screw-in bulb you're using is appropriate.. Just turn it on. If it's instant on, it's an electronic ballast and should work for any tube up to its wattage rating. If it flickers for a second, it's something else (I won't call it a magnetic ballast) and won't necessarily work.

• 2 weeks later...
stoney waters

Still running the bulb, although it does not start instantly like it did before. It will flicker for 5 to 8 seconds before it fires up. I think the internal starter in the bulb is beginning to go bad. I am waiting on a 4 pin bulb without the internal starter. This bulb will utilize all 4 wires and the ballast should run the bulb as it was intended to.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of my ballasts are running great. the bulbs fire instantly and the tank is doing great. I have had no algae blooms and the coral is growing out of control, which indicates that the lighting must be fine. I just got another tank. The new tank has two 18W PCs on it. the external ballast runs very hot and I am considering replacing the ballasts with a pair of the screw-in ones. since they run a lot cooler, that should help my tank out a lot. I'll try to update you guys on the progress as time goes by. If any problems arise, post them here and I'll do the same.

Danskim, that's a great link. Thanks. If I plan on setting up another larger tank, I know where I'm going to get my ballasts.

No problem. Glad to help. They're more expensive than the 23w 4pack I got at HD for $9.xx but still cheaper then buying a separate ballast.

These 32watt ones are $9.xx each.

I wonder what the disadvantages (if there are any) are to using one of these ballasts instead of a name brand aquatic ballast. I'm curious about the light output of the ballasts as well as bulb life.

Haha, well I haven't done it yet.. How are your lights?

I guess the only way to be sure would be to use some tool (forgot what it's called) that measures the amount of lumens the lamp is generating.

My lights are doing fine. No blackening on the base of the new bulb, nad they are both bright as ever. The tank is running cool still. I only have one fan on it. The fan is running on half its rated voltage (I did that so it would be more silent) and my corals are opening up fully every day.

• 2 months later...

How do you tell the difference between electronic and magnetic ballast when you buy the bulb from HD or Lowes? And which one do you want?

• 1 month later...

The bulbs are still doing fine! I think I about due for a new bulb, as the original bulb is almost 2 years old. When I get the new one, I think I'm going to install a third 24W PC in there. most likely, I will order a actinic and a daylight. Then I will have a 50/50, and actinic, and a daylight. total of 72W on the tank. Maybe then I can start getting some LPS!

The ballasts are running cool, as usual. The older bulb is now turning a little dark at the base and the new one is looking just fine.

I'm going to be doing this mod to my newest addion to my tank family (11G ViaAqua tank). It has to 18W ballasts and they run very hot. Maybe I can squeeze two or three 24watters in the fixture! That would be sweeet.

supersecretshinto

Now that's good DIYing! Do you suppose I could salvage these little ballasts after the bulbs have burnt out or would I be better off to harvest them from new ones? I use these bulbs throughout my entire house and throw them out frequently.

Archived