Pod Your Reef

Grahm's 29 gallon reef

gjones

I have plenty (1300gph) of flow, and i have ceriths also, i'm thinking about a starfish. I might just add more nassarius. And I will do a water change and suck out the detruis manually.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late update, the day after my frad was divoured, I found a tiny bit of it floating around behind a rock, and I rubberbanded it to the rock it came on. I didn't think it would live, but it seems to be recovering. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Updated Pics.

Here's that xenia

Sep1001.jpg

Fully Open Zoos

Sep1005.jpg

Turbo doing it's job.

Sep1002.jpg

FTS, (cleanup crew works)

Sep1003.jpg

EDIT- 2d pic didn't show up right.

2D EDIT- 2d pic refused to show, so it was deleted.

I went to Monfort Aquarium and Pet today, and bought 2 LPS. I think I gota prety good deal. $25. for a frag of frogspawn, and $15. for a 4-headed frag of pinkish-red candycane. I also picked up a bit of calupera for my fuge, since my local chaeto search was fruitless, and it has a baby shroom attached to a pice. I'll post pics tomorrow if the frogspawn is open.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SH, doing a water change tomorrow, and getting more coral on tuesday.

Had to get a pic of this.

Sep2501.jpg

Also, I posted this in the ID forum, but I think it looks kool enought for another post.

Sep2502.jpg

What Am I?

yea, I know it's a nudi, several species have "poped" up recently, this makes 4 species, and a total of 7 nidis in my tank. I just wanted to know if it was harmful.

Here's another nudi

Sep2504.jpg

Also, frogspawn showing signs of new growth, it sprouted a 2d mouth, about 2 cm, from the original one.

Here is a pic of that red shroom that was attached to the macro I bought for my fuge

Sep2508.jpg

I think the nudibranchs are not generally good in nanos' because they have specific diets, eg, hair algae and flatworms or sponges. They are reefsafe, so, I wouldn't 'kick it out'. Some report that when they die they can pollute the tank...but...others had no problems even after gettting shredded in PH inlets, which is a frequent cause of their demise it seems. Keep him in and enjoy the color if you get a safe ID on him. SH

Ok, got 3 new corals from monfort.

Branching Hammer

Sep2705.jpg

Greenish and Pinkish Candycane

Sep2704.jpg

Red and Green Open Brain

Sep2703.jpg

None of these new additions are fully acclimated/open yet. I'll post pics when they fully open later in the week.

Also, what is this little thing, it's in the center, and it's purple . There are alot of these in my tank, they look like pillbugs, they don't swim, they walk around, very fast. They vary in color also from grey and brown, to purple.

Sep2701.jpg

Well my open brain seems to be very healthy. I put it in the water at about 2:40pm, And it's 9:00pm now. I was in my room, and my lights were out. I looked at my new corals, and the brain's feeders were out. Is this normal, it hasn't been in my tank for half a day yet? Well, I fed it, and it ate! 3 whole frozen omega 3 brine shrimp. Is it healthy, or was it just starved at the LFS?

Thanks SH, The camera I have doesn't do any of my coral justice the color is alot brighter in person. I'm starting to think that monfort has very similar paramaters to my tank, because all of the corals I bought there are great, and open up in 2 to 3 days, the hammer is about 2x the size of that last pic today.

Also, caught that emerald crab last night, MUCHING on my ZOOS! I caught him, and took him to jacks. And since my tank is free from large unsightly blobs of algea, I got rid of my 2 large unsightly blobs of turbo snails. I traded them in for 2 tronchus at the lfs when I took in my emerald.

Still looking for the right fish, no LFS near me has them, so I placed an order, at monfort for a Banded Possum Wrasse. They said it would take a while to see if their supplier had any. Other than that, I'm looking for a hector's goby, some kind of small pistol & goby combo, and maybe a 2 spot blennie.

Check into liveaquaria.com....I've had excellent service from them and they carry some unusual fish. I thought I caught my emerald trying to pry open my sun corals to get at what they just ate. They ARE getting bigger. I have to fight them off with a pipette when feeding them. SH

yea, my emerald was big, about 1 1/2 imch across. I have looked into LA, but I don't know how well things do in the mail when it's cold out. I got my cleanup crew from them, but that was when it was 86 deg outside, the temp is droping now, down to about 40 at night, and 75-78 during the day. I had to bring my iguanna inside to his winter home today because of the drop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tried to go to the Midwest Regional Frag Swap, but my manager was an ass, and wouldn't sub in for me because he had to be somewhere 4 HOURS AFTER I'D BE BACK IN TO TAKE OVER AND HE'D BE OFF! and I have no new corals.

In other news I got ###ed at the clumpy damp bag of IO salt, and bought a pitcher-like thing with a sealing lid of Oceanic salt. Params seem to be stable around... (Although my Alkalinity has been giving me trouble)

PH-8.3

TEMP-80

NITRATE-0ppm

PHOSPHATE-0ppm

ALKALINITY-around 8

CALCIUM-360ppm

SG-1.026

Hopefully I'll head out to monfort later in the week to check out the coral situation.

Question for whoever is out there, How come ###ed is covered up with #'s and "my manager was an ass" is fine? What's wrong with ###ed?

I got home, and found some bad news, my emperor 400 filter on my 55gallon malwi tank cracked! not the tank, but the filter housing, and i lost some water... few inches of water. and now i have water damage on my dresser:rant:.

Sep0202.jpg

Sep0201.jpg

same thing happened to me so i took it back and they gave me a new one...

I've had that filter for about 2 years now, and it's out of warranty by now. I slapwd some silicone in it and that seemed to fix it up for now. The dresser looks so bad that my dad told me that I have to keep that tank there so my mom won't see the dresser when the wholw top bowes back up after the tank is taken off. So... I'm getting a teacup stingray for it, along with a few knife fish, afetr I get all the african cichlids into the 72 bowfront waiting for them. If this isn't intruding, what is the total cost to date on your pico, i've been thinking about setting one up soon, and would like to know. The total cost of the 29 so far is in the high $900 range, and i'm just wanting to get an estimate on price for the pico.

Got 2 new corals today, another open Brain, I think. It had about 6 mouths on the same size pice of coral as my red one, but 6 mouths. I'll post a pic for a successful ID tomorrow. I also got some blue/purpleish with red skirted zoos. I'll post pics when they open.

And I almosy bought a 4line wrasse, but deciden not to. But tomorrow, I'm going on a fish quest, to 4 LFS's, 2 of which I've never been to to try and find the fish I want. There's no way I'm going home empty handed, I'm getting A fish by the end of tomorrow.

Well here are the pics, I wish my camera was better...

Open Brain

Oct3002.jpg

Partially open zoos (horrible pic)

Oct3006.jpg

I also got a 4line wrasse, I'll try to get a pic of him later in the week.

Archived