AMMONIA-0ppm

NITRITE-0ppm

NITRATE-0ppm

PHOSPHATE-0ppm

CALCIUM-300ppm

ALKILINITY-11.5

TEMP-80

SG-1.025

Mexican Turbo snail is eating like crazy, I'll get another one with my full cleanup crew on tuesday. Emerald crab disapered, will look for him later on tonight.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The emerald is probably still alive. They stay in crevices and feed at night somtimes. Be careful with the Turbos.....you'll kick yourself later on when you add corals...they'll rearrange your aquascaping if you don't have thing's epoxied down. SH

Words to live by: Quote by Steelhealer

"Be careful with the Turbos.....you'll kick yourself later on when you add corals...they'll rearrange your aquascaping if you don't have thing's epoxied down. SH"

Wise words to heed!

Trekbear

That may be true, but i'll be happy to glue down my frags in exchange for how much they eat. Everything is in place prety solid now, saw my emerald crab, well, his feet poking out of a crack in the rock. Cleanup crew coming on tuesday, hopefully I gan cet ahold of some cheato soon 2.

Ordered cleanup crew tonight, LA was out of astrea's, so it's off to my LFS to pay $3.99 each for them horray! I think it's strange that astrea's are more than turbos, at $1.99, maybe it's because half of the turbos have apistia growing off of their shells, just a thought.

I think it's more like people need and buy more astrea's than turbos. LOLOL. Astreas are a great choice...the backbone of the cleanup crew IMO. SH

I added another turbo and 4 astreas, the rest of my cleanup crew should arrive 2morrow. My final crew will consist of...

2 Turbos

4 Astreas

4 Tronchus

4 Nerite

4 Cerith

8 Nassarius

2 Scarlet Hermits

1 Emerald Crab

1 skunk cleaner Shrimp (later on)

Noticed a large dead spot in my criculation, so I added a maxi-jet 1200. My total GPH is 1,275gph.

Saw a tiny nudi today on the rock today, but lost track of it in a minute or so.

Updated params

PH-8.4

ALK-9.8

CALC-320ppm

SG-1.026

PO4-0ppm

AMM-0ppm

NITRITE-0ppm

NITRATE-0ppm

Got all my cleanup crew today, and i got a few extras for free, 1 extra hermit, 2 nassarius snails, and 1 nerite.

Total cleanup crew

2 Turbos

4 Astreas

4 Tronchus

5 Nerite

4 Cerith

10 Nassarius

3 Scarlet Hermits

1 Emerald Crab

1 skunk cleaner Shrimp (later on)

params all good, next week, fish.

you should check out the blue-leg hermits as well. they are pretty tiny, and half the time you don't even see them in the tank, but they do a damn good job, and they cruise around in the tank too. i've been quite dissapointed with any snails that i've gotten, since i see them in the same spot for sometimes days at a time. it seems like they do maybe 1 day a week of cleaning, and just sit around the rest of the time. red-leg hermits as well.

My snails seem to be doing fine, eating alot of algea and whatnot. I just got the hermits for somethinbg fun to look at every once and a while, and if they eat some algea, good for them. I heard blue legs will kill snails, and I got alot of targets for em, but thanks for the info, if things start slackin off, i'll have to look into it.

Man that tank is fuzzy! It's the same size as my fresh water tank too. I like it. I know how to mod my 29 later if the plants decide to dry up and die and force me to make it a reef tank. :)

I have some blue legs too, but I havn't seen them in a while (they are very very tiny).

Turn off the lights for 4 to 6 weeks... That will take care of the algae. If you must - drop one algae tablet in the water every other day for the cleanup crew.

I did this for my nanocube and have not had algae problems, now if only I could bring myself to do it on my 29g....

Good luck.

Algea has dropped alot since last pic, i'll post another pic in a few days.

Maeda: thanks for the comment, If i could do it over again, i'd just have used black accrlyic, the plexi was a pain to paint and stuff. Other than that the mods were easy. I've always had problems trying to keep a planted tank, I used to have 2, one 10gal. with dwarf puffers, and plants, and a 20h with a bunch of plants, and a pair of kribs. I took em down 2 make this one.

Planted tanks are fun at first until everything browns...

I only keep mine nice by dosing everyother day supplimenting with co2 and blah blah blah. I think doing a reef tank is easier thus far. :)

yea, i hate the brown outs, i'm now thinking about taking down my 55, and ditching all my fish but my small male compressicep and my nigerian bichir, changing my substrate to sand, adding some fake valenseria plants, and getting my comp. a female :) and maybe i'll get some babies out of it.

Update.

Traded a few frags with Reef_Mad_Man, a local norwood reefer.

Green ric (about to be rics)

Sep0204.jpg

Sep0207.jpg

Orange ric (pic not good, and didn't come out under fell light)

Sep0205.jpg

green zoos

Sep0209.jpg

good stuff, thanks Reef_Mad_Man

I got home, and found some bad news, my emperor 400 filter on my 55gallon malwi tank cracked! not the tank, but the filter housing, and i lost some water... few inches of water. and now i have water damage on my dresser:rant:.

Sep0202.jpg

Sep0201.jpg

the quality is reaL bad right now, because the orange wasn't on a rock, so it's in a tupperware full of holes, and it has some rubble to bond to, hopefully. after it bonds, i'll try again. Got home 2 late for the zoos, if i have time 2morrow i will post a pic, but I doubt i'll have time, cuz of the killer, WEBN FIREWORKS down on the river tomorrow. Meetin sum friends, some girls, there's a posable boat-party in my future also, don't think i'll have time, unless I leave after 12, because that's when my lights kick on.

At work today we had a big problem, the 38gallon tank with some big malwi cichlids in it split, spilling all over the floor, just before closing, and i got to stay and clean up. Lucky me.

Ok, not quite completly open, but here it is.

Sep0503.jpg

Srry about the crappy pic they look so much better in person.

Updated FTS

Sep0505.jpg

Cleanup Crew seems to be doing it's job. I do think need another tronchus, and a few more nassarius snails though.

I also picked up a $14 xenia frag 2day, i'll post a pic when it opens.

My emerald didn't even touch my bubble algea, but he shure did chow down on my new xenia frag! It's gone, just a stump! :rant: I hate Emerald Crabs! Why the hell did it eat my xenia, and not my algea! A brand new $14 frag, wasn't even acclimated yet, it was on a rock on the sandbed. Next time I see him, hes toast. I'll take him 2 an lfs, and get some credit 2 buy a new xenia!

Also, on a much calmer note, what is the best detrivore I could add to my 29gallon? There are large piles of detruis, that my nassarius snalis can't keep up with.

Archived