Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy's Prop Tank

Tigahboy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

prop0411c.jpg

Adding the closet space to my overall set-up was probably the best move I made. No longer limited to just the space in my stand.

Still got room to work w/ on either side of the prop tank:

prop0411d.jpg

prop0411e.jpg

Probably gonna move my auto-top-off container and my saltwater mixing/remote controlled (yes I said "remote controlled" hehe) water changer container into the extra space

prop0411f.jpg

yes, I am that lazy sometimes...

prop0411g.jpg

...and of course make it more sophisticated w/ pvc now that I feel more comfortable working w/ that stuff. =)

Just gonna go over my plumbing for the overflow. Took out the return line to make things less confusing.

So first water will flow thru my durso standpipe.

pvcda.jpg

Then down and under the tank

pvcdb.jpg

Swings to the left on its way to the sump/fuge - ball valve to shut off overflow if necessary and plenty of pvc unions for quick disconnects.

pvcd1.jpg

Then it curves away from door and makes a 90 degree turn into the sump/fuge (I'm planning on changing this to a 45 degree turn tho after I make another home depot trip)

pvcd2.jpg

Then some of the flow (a small amount) will go thru this first ball valve into the fuge section.

pvcd3.jpg

pvcd4.jpg

Then the rest of the flow (the majority of the flow) will go thru the second ball valve straight into the skimmer intake section.

pvcd5.jpg

And usually this last ball valve will be in the 'off' position, but when I need to do a water change, I'll simply turn the skimmer section ball valve to the 'off' position and open up this third ball valve to take out water from the overall 67+prop set-up via a bucket.

pvcd6.jpg

I'll take pics of the return/manifold plumbing tomorrow.

lookin good man

i find it really amazing how you figure all this piping out, it would take me ages and it seems like you just go with the flow, id need a layout plan, etc

wow, nice setup! cant wait to see more pics...love the way you 'networked' the 2 tanks together. why not just go through the wall, or go ahead and take off the closet door:)

btw, i am using the exact same auto-top-off container...made for wrapping paper??!

Lol! Man you really went all out with the plumbing. Thats awesome! I have a question though, how are you making it remote controlled? Is that remote made for a car or is it something you can purchase to control different electrical outlets?

Tigahboy: What did you use to cut your eggcrating? I've been using some in a project and I'm having a bad time since it's so brittle...

Thanks.

Vic - do a search on X10 systems on your favorite search engine - home automation is a fun way to control your tank using your computer, lights/top-off/heaters/alarms that call you when something's wrong, they have it all, and some internet sites have free "starter" systems

just be careful though, they're known to be vunrable to interference from outside sources, so when your top-off turns on in the middle of the night.... don't say I didn't tell you so ;)

Originally posted by GreenUku

Tigahboy: What did you use to cut your eggcrating?  I've been using some in a project and I'm having a bad time since it's so brittle...

Thanks.

I use needle nose pliers (the part w/ the wire cutting blades). They work well b/c they easily fit between the spaces and cut thru w/o shattering the plastic pieces. Just cut really close to the ends.

eggc1.jpg

eggc2.jpg

eggc3.jpg

tigah...how many tanks do you have now man? (including your picos that is if u didn't wake up one morning and the water evaporated :-* ...haha)

Originally posted by Tigahboy

Reef Collection in Huntington Beach - 40 miles away from me.  $20 for each hole.

Sorry to break the news, but I found a place that cuts it at $10 a hole. I'll post pics later. Turns out that I didn't have enough cash when I was picking it up, so I ended up paying $8!!! They did a great job. I'm planning on going again to cut some more holes. This place is in Garden Grove, CA.

Archived