Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's Prop Tank

Tigahboy

it should be enough if ran alone. manifold actually helps maximize the flow you have, so it should put out much better flow than if you just plumbed 2 returns off a T.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh. and it's the fact that the pipe diameter is larger then quickly reduces to small 1/2" diameter pipes/elbows that creates the increase in flow. I suck at water dynamics tho, so I can't explain why that is and such.

but one things for sure, they are freakin ooooogly. hahah. most ppl hide them under their canopies, but I figured it wouldn't bother me too much since it's just a prop tank. but it's an eye sore for sure, and I'm tempted to ditch it. haha.

Angel Higuera

Your system(s) are overwhelming. I bet your having more fun just documenting and setting all this stuuf up than actually looking at it when it's done.:woot:

:angel:

B16 - not positive yet, but pretty sure some kind of PC's (or maybe T5s?)

EnFuengo - I already placed the order for a larger skimmer - ASM G1x (rated for 150g).

i'm new to this, but couldn't you cut the manifold so that it would fit the inner edge of the tank and just plumb it that way so it would eliminate the manifold sitting on top? Keep in mind I'm new to this when replying, I could be way off :D

Dome

you definitely could do that. I just couldn't figure out a way to have it suspend below the top (w/ stuff I already have in my apt).

Reefer Addict

does your rim have a lip (like an edge where a glass top would rest on)? i have seen a pic where a small whole is drilled into the lip. then a zip tie is threaded though-wrapped around the pvc to support it within the tank.

am i making sense?

i rather keep it at top b/c when pump shuts off, there will be major back siphoning back into sump if it is deep into the tank.

if you did that you could drill a siphon break hole right below the water surface but i dont know if it would work with a manifold type setup.

is there a minimum flow or pressure needed for manifiold systmes or is it just to keep consistent pressure to all nozzels no matter what size pump?

also could 2 smaller manifolds be created and ran on a sqwd or something of that sort or does it need constant pressure to work?

supposedly there is a minimum constant pressure required. around 250-300 gph per nozzle. I'm pushing it w/ the 3 nozzles...I might end up having to just run 2. So the siphon break may not be a great idea.

The stand has a huge opening at the top, and I wanted to give the tank bottom more support, esp. since there's a hole in it now.

prop0408a.jpg

So went to home depot again and bought a 2x2 board and some foam, then got to work!

prop0408d.jpg

prop0408b.jpg

Used 3" hole saw to cut a hole out for the drain plumbing. But I have such a crappy drill and it gave out on me less than half-way thru. I had to use my hand the rest of the way. sucky.

prop0408c.jpg

prop0408e.jpg

prop0408f.jpg

here's a pic of the wood board plus foam pad on the stand.

prop0408g.jpg

And here's and under the tank shot

prop0408h.jpg

w/ a durso standpipe I made (home depot sold out on the parts I needed for a stockman):

prop0408i.jpg

J_R (another n-r.com member) was so kind enough to visit and do a demonstration on pvc cementing for me. thanks again, John!

But I'm still not so good at it. I get pvc cement stuck on my fingers, then stuck on the pvc parts...basically it's a mess.

The only decent cementing I did was for the union connected to the overflow bulkhead:

prop0408j.jpg

prop0408k.jpg

prop0408l.jpg

and guess what happened to my manifold. I screwed it up. =/

haha. Basically was rushing since it bonds/cures so fast, and I put an elbow in the wrong way. Besides, it looked like a huge mess as well w/ blue glue stains all over. So I junked it.

dang that looks like good cementing to me!

i need someone to show me how to do that too someday... it's too bad about your manifold, that's what you get when you try to work so late in the night, u start putting things on the wrong way! :D :D :D hahahah!

on second thought: why the hell are we still awake zzz

yeah. i was workin on it outside in front of my door too. and some neighbors walked by and were like "you are crazy...it's 3AM and you're sitting out here working on some project of projects."

Originally posted by Tigahboy

yeah. i was workin on it outside in front of my door too.  and some neighbors walked by and were like "you are crazy...it's 3AM and you're sitting out here working on some project of projects."

LOL... that is pretty funny :happy:

oh well, we do what we want on our own accord!

Archived