SaltCritters.com

Tigahboy's Prop Tank

Tigahboy

okay, stuck in the new bulkhead and this time around I siliconed the crap out of it. just to play it safe, I'm gonna give it a good 20 hours or so to fully cure before I add pvc to it.

Here's a pic. There's not a single crevice/space that wasn't covered in silicone. I feel like eating salt n vinegar chips now.

9221prop0409f-med.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tigahboy

I feel like eating salt n vinegar chips now.

what the heck?! but hey, S&V chips are my fav too :D ...MMmmm makes my mouth water to just think about it :P
Originally posted by uchiha

S&V chips are my fav too :D ...MMmmm makes my mouth water to just think about it :P

Then if you use the silicone for your bulkheads, your mouth will water again.

since I have to wait for the silicone to cure, I went ahead and worked on a more simple version of the initial manifold I fudged. This one is just a side manifold w/ 2 outputs.

prop0409g.jpg

prop0409h.jpg

prop0409i.jpg

Angel Higuera
Originally posted by Tigahboy

don't i need to have an actual business to get one of those?  =)

I have a sellers permit, which inables me to buy wholesale from anywhere. You have to go to the tax board of equalization to get it. The office I went to was in Gardena, CA. I can give you more info if you want it.

-Angel

jenniebutterfly

o btw you prop tank is looking nice, sorry bout the set back, but hey, nobody ever said this hobby was easy :) happenes to everyone. :)

I'm thinking about buying a tank like this, but it will probably be much more expensive here on the east coast. I am looking at $90 for the tank + $20 drilled + $35 overflow. Expensive, I know.

Anyways, my question is... do you think 2 70w MH + 80w Actinic would be enough lighting to keep a clam and RBTA in a tank like this?

yes. you'd be fine w/ just one 150w DE MH as well. It's only 12" so you'll get plenty penetration of light. And since it's only 24", it's the perfect coverage. 2x70w might spill over the sides.

Max- I haven't settled on the lighting yet.

offsprg01 - the blue "foil" part simply comes w/ the foam pads I got from home depot. I don't know how easy it is to remove just the blue layer. But it sure does look nice. =)

after pvc cementing stuff on my 67g, I went back to work w/ the prop tank. The silicone had cured by then, but I gave it some more time just in case.

In the meantime, I had to redo some of the pipes connected to the initial bulkhead. I put everything back in order, and did another test run w/ water.

67g0410d.jpg

67g0410e.jpg

No more wet bulkhead

67g0410f.jpg

No more wet stand. yay!

67g0410g.jpg

I'll let water chill in the tank for another 24 hours just to be sure. =)

*phew* It's been a busy night, that's for sure. But I still made time to watch the sun rise from my balcony. hehe.

67g0410h.jpg

Tigah - if you have any more problems w/ the bulkhead leaking consider doing it w/o the silicone - the two don't work very well togather - the rubber gaskets are meant to work fine on their own and don't need any silicone to assist - it actally ends up "binding" into little pieces and breaking the seal.

I've ran plenty of pre=drilled tanks using rubber bulkheads and never had a problem w/ them leaking, and I never used silicone - mostly b/c it takes over a week to fully cure.

for some cheap T5's check out aquatraders.com - or if an LFS out there carries Odessea lights - two or three 24" fixtures w/ two lights a piece wouldn't be too expensive and you'd get tons of light.

Really like the 24" cube - wish I could find one like that out East ;)

- Nick

This is my first time using silicone as well. There's a good amount of folks who just say no to the silicone, and an equal number of those who use it. Just trying something different for this round...especially since the hole wasn't cut perfectly and there was a chip that water could creep thru.

so far so good. no leaks yet. hopefully it will stay that way.

haha. not meaning to chastise ya. =) I was actually going to write more, but I had to go right after that sentence. ;)

still no leaks. =)

tested out the overflow as well. The durso is silent! And I didn't even have to fiddle w/ the hole size in the cap; thank goodness.

prop0411a.jpg

Overflow looks fine. no leaks and such.

prop0411b.jpg

And I'm just a few more pvc pieces away from finishing the plumbing for the prop tank. I'll be able to run it as soon as I get a pump for it.

Archived