Top Shelf Aquatics

My precious little Jebo

Babycakes

I have the aqualine 20k in my tank and i really like the color. It isnt really blue like the ushio but it is still blue enough while still being crisp looking.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pdhenderson

Id do a small sump, like 5gallon with a three gallon fuge!!!

Now, just gotta get my girlfrind to buy me the tank....................................Is the dimensions the same as the ten?

aaaaaaaaaaaah! i have to figure out a way to have my corals not starve for a week...

i'm going to hawaii and philippines for 2 weeks. First week my boyfriend will be doing water changes and feedings and the second week he has to go to California for family vacation.

what to do what to do? i'm ordering a auto top off system but what about the feeding?!

phergus_25

also have the aqualine, but i'm going with a 14K bulb next time. I would suggest a sump I really like having the sump. O and have your LPS not ahd any problems with aggression. They can be mean. Tigah's lords suddenly turned on each other, so I would suggest movin em' alittle. You tank is looking great, I really like all the LPS they are my favorite.

phergus_25

O and I dont see your corals starving in a week. Most dont "have" to eat much really. so I think your fine on that.

i'm more worried about my LPS because I feed them mysis shrimp every 2 days. I'll trust your opinion and try to relax when i'm on vacation and not freak about whether or not my corals are shriveling up.

anyhoo here are some pics:

rose%20ppes.JPG

zoompalys.JPG

zoos and my bright green candy canes which are usually plumper but they were recently knocked off by my clumsy big snail.

palys.JPG

my rose palythoas from farms-of-thesea.com

they're not as purplish pinkish as their site though, may need more lighting? at first i thought these were actually zoos, they look as big as my zoos and i thought palys were supposed to be huge..*sigh*

blanes.bmp

the top pic are the palys and the second pic are the zoos i just posted on the last post..they don't look much like what they're supposed to be..a little too light

13889lawnmowerblenny.JPG

Lenny the Lawnmower Blenny

we first wanted to get a pair of mated Perculas and name them Lenny and Carl from the Simpsons..but we got this guy instead. :D

::Preparing for Vacation::

I needed to get ready for vacation and in a panic I bought a bunch of stuff from www.Marinedepot.com

Decided to do a auto top off while I was gone. Bought the JBJ Automatic Top Off (A.T.O.) system for $99.99 (could've found it cheaper but would rather buy everything from one site). It comes with 2 snail guarded float switches and electronic controller module. Will put in supplements in the top off H2O. I'm using a AquaLifter Pump for the system.

Got a AquaC Remora With MaxiJet 1200 so that I don't have to worry about water changes.

And a HOB AquaClear 50 filter. Getting rid of my stock filter because it takes up too much space inside and over the tank.

My boyfriend just told me he wouldn't be able to take care of my tank since he's going to stay in Houston till his family vacation....

:*(

So basically I'm at a loss since my tank will go unwatched for 2 weeks. any suggestions?!?!?

I remember looking like this:??? :(:o X) :*( :x when he told me during dinner.

winniebagel

You might want to do a significant water change a day or so before you go on vacation. That way, you could have time to make adjustments to the water if any of the parameters are a bit off.

As for a 2 week unattended tank... are there any in-town friends that you could ask to come by every couple of days just to check up on your tank? When I visited Hong Kong for 3 weeks last year, I left very detailed instructions with a friend and she took care of the tank just fine. I even made a "what to do if... (enter tank disaster) happens" sheet, just so she'd know what to do in case of a tank emergency. Just a thought.

I remember Hong Kong..it was so clean. lol. Too bad everyone spoke cantonese and my 1 year of College mandarin went for naught..lol my chinese sucks anyways

yeah i was thinking about that but all very close friends are on vacation which leaves me in a pickle. the only things i'm worried about are my LPS. i'm gonna call some fish stores and see if i can have them babysit..i don't know if they do that but i'll call. desperate times..

if anything i'd bring my LPS back, put them in a 5g with a HOB filter and have someone in Houston watch them for me..that's a thought..hmmm

winniebagel

I think Austin Aquariums has some sort of babysitting service for corals, you might want to check with them to be 100% sure. though. Might also have a fee associated with it, but at least you know that your corals will be watched.

13889fts1month.JPG

a very ugly full tank 1 month shot..this is actually 1 week ago? Right now all the hair algae is gone, didn't even have to wipe the side glasses because the lawnmowerblenny and snails cleaned it, coralline is covering the rock, and everything is happy.

zooozooozoo.JPG

A shot before I move everything around..need to find a good spot to epoxy the orange zoos so they can grow better.

VACATION CHECKLIST

• I set up the auto top off system, works perfectly...ah i hope i didn't jinx myself.
  • Not running my new aquac remora while i'm gone.. in fear of an overflowing collection cup.
  • Fed everything to the point where they expressed extreme satisfaction.
  • Did a major water change before I left.
  • Sent a prayer.

Today, I explained to my brother that salt water tanks need to be maintained daily and he asks "so who's maintaining your tank while you're gone?"

I laugh and say "um...God?"

• 3 weeks later...

thanks tigahboy for praying! my tank actually survived!

HI! Back from vacation with a tan.

When I had left I set up an auto top off system. I came back to Austin and it turns out my tank went through 4 gallons of RO water before it got empty. Salinity was at 1.027.

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

Ph-8.0

Nitrates-20

So I say all in all it wasn't so bad. Missing 2 blue shrooms that were already sick and my new dark pink zoos were gone..but they were melting before hand. Everything else got bigger and was fine. Shrimps are still there and my lawnmower blenny Lenny was still alive.

Too lazy to take a pic of my tank right now but here are some vacation pics:

Hawaii-Waikiki Beach View from our hotel balcony

hawaii4.JPG?uniq=-oio7g9

Philippines-Lionfish in our backyard

lionfish.JPG?uniq=-oio7hx

anyways the sea is my backyard in Philippines. While me and the little cousins were swimming at the beach we spotted a lionfish hiding in the rocks.

Don't worry we gently put it back in the water.

I'm getting a dendrophyllia this week and will rearrange everything in the tank. Putting in the remora and HOB filter tommorow. I saw a green brown pulsing xenia at the LFS I might get along with some pink pom pom xenia.

Lenny the Blenny looked starved so I got him some spirulina.

coooool lionfish! ur tank is nice but theres sometin about that black sand that bugs me. very nice stocking though! QUALITY

winniebagel

Glad to know that most everything made it out okay while you were on vacation and that there were no major casualities. :)

Looks like you had fun on your vacation. Hawaii just looks absolutely fantabulous from your picture. Did you go snorkling or diving at all while in Hawaii?

you know you've gone crazy when you spend:

$500 on acans in 30 minutes

oh god

My First Acans :D

from Tigahboy's stock...isn't it savory?

13889rbow1-med.jpg

these I got from Roe's Marine World, they were listed under ebay. they're not rare colormorphs but they were good deals.

34_1_b.JPG?uniq=-oi1zep

41_1_b.JPG?uniq=-oi1zel

damn tigahboy's acans are like the creme of the crop!

ur tank has come far in the few monthes its been up. Good work

My first BLASTOS!

i figured..if i'm getting acans i might as well get some kick ass blastos! I made friends with Joleen at Atlantis Aquarium who helped me pick out my first blastos and she knew what I wanted when she picked up the fact that my tank was a very girlie tank and she said she had a girlie tank too! :P I think it's so fun to talk about how cute corals are and how all the money we save on clothes go to corals. Anyways, they're really great there at atlantis aquarium she went through the sizes of the polyps, what colors would stand out in my warm lighting, and how to take care of them.

She took these pictures for me and sent it to my email:

13889DSC00522.JPG

2 quarters, a nickel, and a dime was how she described the size

13889DSC00523.JPG

this is my favorite. she said that it was from their saved stock and assured me over the phone that it is absolutely gorgeous but small. i bought it without seeing it for $35 and now that i've seen it I know it was a steal!~

oh yeah. I got Dendrophyllia Fever! I got dendros today! hopefully they open up within the next few days. They're really stressed from the delayed shipping (damn fed ex and their thunderstorm excuses!). Daniel aka Uchiha did a super uber job packing them...he used styrofoam peanuts so the frags didn't get jostled around and uses a 30hr heating pad and he even rubberbanded the frags to styrofoam so they could float...STYROFOAM PEANUTS! wow.

So I have acan echinata, acan lords, dendros, and now awesome blastos...my my my...X)

Archived