Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mike's new Pico....

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

cool tells us if it can work if u get is. and i was wondering wut do u do to take care of ur rics and do u think they a good beginniner coral thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Afiser,

Rics are very easy IMOP, I have had one since day one with my first cube and they are so hardy. I have the orange florida one. I got a pair on a small rock with a small red feather worm.

You might be able to see them from one of my old threads from my SPS tnak. If not check out www.nanotank.com under monthly contest I took second prize in the month of January or February.

Once again, they do well under the lighting that you have and I know you'll take good care of them.

Try to get the blue version of the ric. IMOP, I think they are a lot prettier, I'm wishing I would've found one before I got the two orange ones.

Mike

thanks u were very helpful and now im going to try and get a rock full of them at my lfs tommorow (if my mom takes me) and ill try to get some blue one ;)..hehe:)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Afiser,

I found a pic of the ric I love, it's from my brothers nano cube. It's actually called a green ric, but I think it looks more blueish/green, you be the judge.

Hope you find one.... It would make an awesome statement in your cube.

Mike

2d5p8n

well mike, here's the free one I obtained by attending the frag swap in Anaheim, it was pretty white, but I think it's coming around. It's doing it's recovery in Sandras tank since it's the most established.

My Yuma (not sure what kind or color it should be when 100% healthy)

multicolor_yuma_recover.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Stephane,

The answer is yes, call 1 510 583-5167 and ask for James of Aquascene in Hayward, Ca. He has already shipped out one to the east coast. I'm sure he can do one for Canada. They are very cheap only $12.99 for the tank I have.

Tell him, Mike Guerrero sent you.... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Dr Gonzo,

Nope just the aquaclear 20. It's such a small tank I have to reduce the flow of the filter with it's lever. Anything more would be too strong, if you look at some close up pics you will see the water flow crashing against the front glass.

mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Newby,

Thanks for the suggestion on the grasinger goby. I just might get him, I've seen him before at my LFS, just couldn't get him back then because my tank was too big. Now I have a pico...

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

Here is an update on my heating problem. Most of you know that when you have a light so close to the surface you trap air, and through convection that heat is transfered into the main tank.

I could've had my light hang through legs but I would've suffered too much evaporation. I thought about the ice-probe chiller but then it's too bulky for such a small tank.

Chris from nanocustoms gave me an idea, why not place a HD cooler against the glass on the back of the tank. Through small observations, I have seen the temps drop.

I will monitor my ambient temps in my room against what is marked in the pico. I will then post my results.

Also my new resident fish moved in today, he is a small red stripped goby. I hope you guys enjoy the pics I took of him. I picked him up from my LFS, Great bay Aquarium, San Leandro Ca. Ivan the owner gave me a great deal.

Mike

2i7rlz

2i7s4j

2i7scm

2i7sid

2i7skl

2i7spf

2i7sra

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Heater was picked up at Aquascene, Hayward Ca.

HD cooler was picked up at Fry Electronics, Fremont Ca.

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

Updated pics of my pico. I added three new frags. On the far right bottom corner you'll see two small branches of my red macro algae. I fragged this piece from my colony in my cube.

To the far left top of the tank, you'll see a fragged piece of an organ pipe that I purchased, from Aquascene. Thanks James.

Then to the very bottom left corner, you'll see some pink zoos, they are so nice. Also purchased from Aquascene.

I also picked up two more little fish to keep my other goby company. They are two neon gobies same size as my first stripped one. I got those from Great Bay Aquarium, thanks Ivan.

But to a sader note, my stripped goby jumped ship, he vacated the premesis, my wife and I were sad to see him dried up next to the tank.

I forgot to turn on the heater and in the morning the tank was 71.5 degrees and I found him dead. I don't know if it was the drop in temp that made him jump.

The other two gobies were fine. One was in the tank and the other had gotten sucked up through the filter, I had not yet modified the intake tube, since its' too long. I thought the fish would not go through that, but I was wrong, as I found him in the sponge. I freaked and rescued the goby, remarkably he didn't even suffer a torn fin.

I went to work on the modification of the Aqua mini 20. I got the extension tube to the length that fits the tank, used some super glue and bam, the problem was solved.

Tonight I can go to bed assured that my two residents will at least stay in the tank and not get sucked up at night.

I almost forgot, I got a great deal on a sexy shrimp for only 8 dollars from Atlantis Aquarium, thanks Ming....

Mike

2k3l0w

2k3mew

2k3mmf

2k3nnn

2k3n0n

Archived