Coral Vue Hydros

Mike's new Pico....

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got a couple of questions.

do you have an auto top-off system for the pico/nano cubes

if not how do you keep you corals from getting unhealthy(i heard if you dont have a constant salantity your corals wont like it)

thanks,

afiser

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Bob,

That's cool that you might put up a pico. Mine was very inexpensive considering some of the picos I've seen run up the credit card easy.

I've kept mine under 100 dollars and I'm happy abou that. My expense will be my selection of what will go in.

Before I drop expensive stuff in, I want to make sure my parameteres are okay, during a week run.

Salinity and temp are my main concerns in this tank. I decided to go without the heater in the night, so I have to make sure my house stays at a constant temp.

I think I'll have zoos in my tank and I want to try Acan lords and a blasto. Mabye even a frag of a LPS. I want to be different on this tank.

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Afiser,

I don't have any auto top off switch with my tanks. Every sunday I do a water change and thats that. If I have some evaporation during the week, it's very minimal and I just replace with bottled water.

Mike

Mike,

Your tank is amazing. I don't know if you knew this but I found out that those tanks are custom made in sacramento. I ordered one today from the store you purchased yours. They will be ordering some more & will be in a couple days & they'll ship it here to me in atlanta. I hope mine turns out as well as yours did. Replaces my lamp on my end table near my bed. Gives new meaning to "Sleeping with the fishes". Thanks, John

If your refering to me. I bought the same one that mike did from the same place 12.99 but I have to have mine shipped to georgia from Ca. where their made.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

Here is the heater that I purchased for my pico. I decided to go with a 50 watt titanium heater. It's super small and the thermo dial is on the outside. It hid well behind my rocks, better than any other heater in it's class.

And here are the first set of pictures of various mushrooms and polyps. I even added a very small torch frag. I have a baby size everything, including my litte yuma.

I plan on adding a very small feather duster worm and maybe a baby clam. Before you flame, I've successfully kept and continue keeping two crocea clams in both my 12 gallon cubes. :)

Mike

2cll6x

2cllxz

2clm4i

2clmat

2clml0

2clnxd

2clo2r

2cloax

2clogg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks guys,

Actually Tigah, I visited Aquascene in Hayward and purchased $150 dollars worth of frags. It was my B-day and my company gave me gift certificates my choice.

All those pieces were hand picked by me as James the owner fragged for me. I did some fraggin of my own when I got home. I haven't photographed those yet.

I fragged some more polyps and my green candycane coral. I want to place my baby feather duster worm in there, he was born in my 12 gallon Mike series tank, but I don't want to injure him pulling on his shell.

More pics to come.

Mike

Nice job mike. It's turning out great. I spoke to james yesterday & he was shipping my pico fedex & I should have it Tues. or Weds. Will post pics as it comes together..

Originally posted by Tigahboy

whoa.  how did your pico get stocked so fast?!  were these corals you already had in a larger tank?

His birthday like he said is one factor, but the main factor remains....the b*tch is rich! haha.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

Here is an update of my pico. I let the lights on a full day and then I started taking pics. I moved some pieces around and did my first frag from my nano to my pico.

I fragged out two heads from my candy cane coral from my larnie tank. Hope you guys and gals like my new look.

Mike

2d5dgw

2d5f1c

2d5f6q

2d5ff4

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks Afiser,

I managed to get it going really quick because everything was basically already cured. I'm still testing the water to make sure it holds up.

Now all I have to do is pick 1 fish and maybe just mabye a minatue baby clam. I want a Maxima so bad.

I'll see, but first I have to invest in a chiller on this pico, it runs way too hot.

I'm looking at the micro chiller at www.marinedepot.com however, I'm not too sure if they sell the probe with the aquaclear 20. From the picture it looks like the 20 but I'm not sure.

I already have the 20 filter so I hope thats what they show.

Mike

Archived