ReefCleaners.org

6 gallon long fuge

qualudethunder

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ChloroPhil

That's gorgeous! I was planning on doing the same thing when I have a tank big enough to merit a remote refugium. If you couldn't tell by the handle, I'm a little fond of plants, planted tanks, and the like. One of these days....

A dwarf lion would look really really cool in there.

Best,

Phil

Just stumbled upon this on a link from Reefcentral. Awesome setup! I've always thought having a display refugium would be a cool idea, I really want to try it myself. Not sure how would do it for my system though.

qualudethunder

Thanks guys... DO IT... you won't be dissapointed heh heh. I will post some more pics of growth this weekend. The tank is completely full now so I will post a before and after trimming. It really does need a good trimming too. I even have xenia in there now??? I guess it got sucked in and found a happy spot.

Originally posted by qualudethunder

Yeah I think if anything I am going to stick with cool inverts. Since there are no coral in the tank I was also thinking that I should go for something cool that is not reef safe... that I can't have in my other tank.

A decorator crab would look pretty cool in there

qualudethunder

Yes Casabubu.. that would be a cool idea. Weird that you mention that because I just watched a special on tv right after I read this and they were showing decorator crabs. They were covering themselves with all kinds of macro. I think I might hunt one down.

Here is a shot of the tank before I pruned and cleaned it this weekend...

Nice wrap around, very pro looking.

I had something similar when I was into exotic mutated Goldfish. I needed to have a fresh water planted tank to help keep the nitrates down. I set up a 30 gal high to spill into a 125 gal that had large Lion heads and Veil Tails. It was also a 90 degree sedtup like yours.

I did'nt know anything about refuges at that time. I came up with the Idea to keep the Fresh water plants separated from the community, since the fish would eat and destroy the plants.

Anyway your refuge displayed in the pics gave me a flashback, but yours is much nicer and cleaner looking than the similar setup I had.

BTW, speaking of flashbacks, like that nicname of yours...seven forteens huh? heh..heh.

Mangrover

When I wrote the reply above, I did not scroll all the way to the 5th page and review the all the pics. Now that I've seen them...AWSOME!! Qualude dude you are an artist!!

Very creative! I would like to see what you would do with Mangroves.

Mangrover.

qualudethunder

Some day I will have a nice size planted tank with a nice big mangrove in it set up on an overhang. I think I am going to try and do a tank that is shallow at one end and deeper at the other that simulates a natural setting with a mangrove. We'll see... I guess it will have to be a pretty long tank. I think I am going to start getting into more natural reef settings and biotopes. Random frags in tanks are just not cutting it for me anymore. I mean they look nice and all, but most just look like fancy frag tanks.

Mushroom head,

That brown algae is Sargassum. It grew out of the live rock. I think I am going to turn my main tank into a planted as well. If I gan get any algae to grow in it now ha ha.

Mangrover thanks! I am really interested in seeing your setups. You should start a thread on your system. I'm sure we would all find it very interesting.

qualudethunder

Hmmm... I would have no problem giving you some, but I have no clue how to go about shipping macro to Canada. I would imagine with shipping and duties you would end up paying an awful lot for some macro that may or may not survive?

Anyone?

mushroom head

For my planted tank i want cheato,feather cauperla,grape cauperla,shaving brush,red gracilaria,mangroves,halimeda,and sargassum.You think i should put any things else in the tank?

qualudethunder

Travis I havent had to clean my glass for like 2 weeks lol. No I do not have any algae in my main tank at this point, and my tank gets alot of direct sunlight. I tried to introduce some macro in there and it just doesnt seem like it will take... sigh...

But as far as the hair algae problem I started having... its gone. No nuisance algae in there anymore. I have to get rid of one of my turbos before it crokes.

The macro in the fuge has slowed down quite a bit, but it still needs weekly trimming.

Mushhead did you buy your rock yet for your tank? I think if you want to do a planted tank you might want to do what I did... get a bunch of new live rock and blast it with a ton of 65k light and you will get all kinds of goodies coming out of it. Stuff you can't buy.

Try this link though if you want to buy some... I have not purchased through these guys yet, but it looks like a quality site with some good macro selections...

http://www.liveplants.gulf-coast.net

mushroom head

Thank you so much for that web site.It has some of the stuff i want from your tank.I already have live rock im my tank.And i have pest anemones.But since im having my tank a planted tank i wont have to worry about killing them.Are u going to get any inver6s for your tank tank any time soon?

where do you buy plants like that? I just have cheto and mangroves in my refugium. I need more types like yours qualudethunder. Our maybe when you next purn you can send me some my way ill pay for shipping and more if needed? hardyflash@comcast.net

mushroom head

I just found out its illegal to bring macro algae across the border.So i have to try to get macro algae here in Canada.

well I took a look at the web site Ill pay you plus shipping for some of your plants qualudethunder. I really want some all of there plants are sold out mostly. well let me know I really want to buy some from you e-mail me at hardyflash@comcast.net Please. well let me know. I have plenty of snail if you need some I won on e-bay 150 and over 100 are in my 7gal refugium! Well thanks Flash

• 3 weeks later...
qualudethunder

I got a couple non reef safe inverts. Saron shrimp and purple urchin. Don't know the scientific names. I couldnt score a decorator crab but maybe a small one eventually. Everything is going good. They both seem to love their environment. Urchin likes the sargassum the most. Good thing there is a ton of it in there.

I would like to get another Saron shrimp so I will have a pair. Grape macro went sexual on me and is gone now btw. Oh well.

7336saron1.jpg

7336pu2.jpg

Archived