Pod Your Reef

6 gallon long fuge

qualudethunder

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicely done. It is always nice to see good tank building skills and tank live stocking collide.

Are you planning on keeping anything besides plants in the fuge? I think it's great as is, I have just read about several people putting other livestock in their fuge.

qualudethunder

Thanks Dave, I really appreciate the comments. I worked on it for a while so I am glad some people like it. .

I was thinking about putting something in there like shrooms or something like that. Other than that just snails I think. The thought did cross my mind about doing a dwarf seahorse but i don't think I have enough time to research that right now. I just figured since it was low flow, had no intakes to get sucked in and had a lot of branches it would be a good start. I know a guy that is selling tank raised seahorses so it is tempting. Like I said i would have alot of research to do. I don't even know if the tank is big enough.

what's your copepod situation like in that fuge? I'd expect a population boom!

qualudethunder

It's pretty solid right now but I don't think the boom has happened yet. I think within the next few weeks they are gonna be pretty out of control in there.

seahorsefarms.com has some good info. on dwarfs, I would go for it!! Easy to breed and cool.

qualudethunder

Well just in reading for a short while I figured out that the dwarf seahorse idea is a no go anyways. Apperently you have to have a hydroid/aiptasia free tank and I don't see how I could possibly control that in a fuge like this. Thats just for starters too... I'm sure there are more reasons why this won't work but oh well.

Very nicely done, great to se a well thought out tank take shape. Have you noticed any benefits/improvement in your main display tank (former??)??. I noticed a great improvement once I hooked a fuge to my 30 gal., what experience have you had so far?

qualudethunder

Well my tank has been going through some issues for the past few months. I was running an AC500 fuge and figured I would do a larger fuge to help me resolve this. I would go into the exact issues but that would be a whole other thread. Basically I believe my problems were caused by a piece of ######e RO system and overdue bulb replacement. This resulted in patches of hair algae, crappy sand and tons of bubble algae. So far the hair is gone, bubble algae is receding and my corals are starting to really look good again like they used to. I didnt lose anything but everything was just looking ... ok. Not thriving. So it seems like I made the right move so far. I still think there is a missing link to what was causing my problems but the fuge may just be my saving grace. I am not running any other filtration besides the fuge and would like to keep it that way, but it can be trying at times. Its only been a little over a month now so I am just hoping my tank will continue to improve as it has been so I can finally rest and enjoy like I used to.

qualudethunder

nope no peanut worms that I have seen yet. It's still imature so I expect more changes good and possibly bad(fingers crossed) as well as more life appearing.

With the amoun of pods that would thrive in that , you could probably keep a couple mandarins.

Did you dose it with anything, or is that growth purely from the nutrients from the tanks?

Wow. Forget leaving that as a fuge. That tank is awesome. I would just keep that as saltwater planted tank imo. Get some seahorses and what not.

qualudethunder

There is a ton of pods showing up in there now. As far as mandarinds go they would still clean it out in no time flat. I would have to have a fuge to supply the fuge heh heh.

I fed the tank phyto while it was cycling on its own in hopes that I would get more life goin. Thats about it. The lighting is pretty intense too(65w of 65k light on an 8 inch tall tank)... plus the long light cycle keeps everyting in grow mode.

Noonan I am trying to think of something to put in there but havent decided yet. I don't really have time to care for seahorses. I have to be careful what I choose because things can jump out of an 8 inch tall tank easily ya know...

qualudethunder

Yeah I think if anything I am going to stick with cool inverts. Since there are no coral in the tank I was also thinking that I should go for something cool that is not reef safe... that I can't have in my other tank.

Archived