Pod Your Reef

Trav's 20 Long

Travis

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys. I got home at around 4 and guess what happend? Or should I say what DIDN'T happen...My light timer some how shorted out..cheap WalMart stuff. So needless to say, My tank was w/ out light for about half a day. but that's ok, no biggy. I went out and bought another, better light timer ;)

The remaining clown is still doing great! :)

What do you guys think about a starfish? I was thinking on the lines of a...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=581

or

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=2133

If I went with the fist star, I would try to get the RED varrient. I already have the orange clown, I don't need a orange star ;) But if I am unable to find the red varrient, I guess I will just go with the orange one.

What do you guys think?

(Note: I won't be buying the starfish for several months. I want my tank to mature better than what it is now.)

of you don't have any sea urchins in your tank i wold go ahead. but some of your larger stars will try to eat some snails. Make sure you keep it well fed.

scott

He only will get about 3" in Diamiter total. I also don't have any urchins, so I guess I am good to go :)

What exactly would one feed a starfish?

TheL.C.Reefer

travis,

ive thought that sandstars like the one shown tend to eat the good micro-organisms in your sand that break down waste etc...might want to look into that before you add one.

Trav, the same thing happens to my toadstool. If its shiny on the top there might be a thin film across the top. mine gets it every now and then and i just pull it off. no clue why.

Don't change the rocks, bro! I'd say look around for a fish that you really like and get it. Screw opinions and experiences. No 2 fish are alike. I think we've all seen that now. What do you think would look cool? A star might be pretty cool as long as it doesn't move your rocks around. ;)

Well, I Got a Blue Green Reef Chromis today. It seems to be very healthy. It wasn't in the tank for 3 minutes before he started schooling with the clown and eating like a little pig. It adds that much needed bluw color to the tank ;).

WOW, this Chromis is active. He and the clown follow each other around and around the tank. And best of all, there's no signs of aggression what so ever ;)

Hey Shorty. I will take pics tomorrow, I just did a weekly 4.5 Gallon Water Change so everything isn't looking its "best".

After I did what you said, brush off the slime, the next day it's fully open. Thanks for the Advice ;)

OK...I have a problem...

I can't keep *excpencive* fish alive and/or healthy. My clown has a white slime on him, but he is still eating - not as much as he used to but still eating.

So if he is to *Kick the Toilet*, I think that I am going to buy 2 more blue/greem reef chromises to go along with my other one. These guys look so cool when ever they school.

Basicaly I am only going to have a school of 3 Chromises in the tank and maybe one small Shrimp Goby.

If one of the Chromises die, it's not gonna cost an arm and a leg to replace (They are only $5.99 :P)

Travis: A couple ideas that should help you keep your fish alive, expensive or not. One, are you giving your fish freshwater dips and quarantine time before putting them in your tank? If not, and your fish get sick...your whole tank is infected, not just one fish. After your tank is infected you need to take any remaining fish out and treat them accordingly, and also let your tank remain fishless for at least a month. This is called a fallow period, which is basically a period in which your parasites have no hosts to feed on and they starve. If you don't do this and you keep dropping new fish in, most likely they will get sick.

In your case it sounds like your clown has marine velvet. I would catch it, give him a short freshwater dip and put him in a light copper treatment for about four to six days. I use a five gallon bucket with an airstone and a rock for my treatment tank. The fish will probably look like crap while in the copper treatment, but they recover pretty quickly.

Not to sound rude, but the attitude that damsels are cheap to replace, won't help you learn to keep any fish. The goal is to keep them alive right? Damsels and Clowns do very well with treatments usually, as they are hardy fish. Try to treat them first, and if that doesn't work, figure out whats going on with your tank, before you drop any more fish in.

Archived