ReefCleaners.org

Looking for Octopus Eggs

challengerdeepgirl

challengerdeepgirl

Hello everyone! I am currently searching for octopus eggs. I know this may be a challenging task, but I've decided to give it a go. I have a fully cycled 55-gallon saltwater tank, complete with live rock, sand, a protein skimmer, and more (the works). I am interested in any octopus species, whether they have small or large eggs, that would be suitable for a 55-gallon tank (I know this would mainly be dwarf species). I am currently a few months into studying Marine Biology and have a great passion for octopuses. I am hoping to find eggs for a school project as well as to raise as pets. Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

• Wow 1
metrokat
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

@metrokat  How did you come to acquire your octopus, Inky?  

Inky was sent to me in one of my ocean live rock shipments by my long standing vendor Gulf Live Rock. He has critters on his website but it is best to contact him to ask for an octopus. 

• Thanks 2
deadendruss

Is it correct that you can only have an the one octopus in a tank as it will eat everything else?

• Like 1
On 5/22/2024 at 2:18 AM, challengerdeepgirl said:

I am currently searching for octopus eggs.

Have you thought about contacting a public aquarium? Just a thought.

• Thanks 1
mcarroll

I'd suggest talking to your LFS and asking if they can make a request to their suppliers.  👍

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
challengerdeepgirl

Thank you all for the responses! I was able to find a fish store that is going to get some in for me🙂.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
challengerdeepgirl
On 5/22/2024 at 2:22 PM, deadendruss said:

Is it correct that you can only have an the one octopus in a tank as it will eat everything else?

Octopuses have a varied diet, but they won't eat everything. I've had the opportunity to work with a few of them in the past and I've seen them coexist successfully with pencil urchins and brittle stars. Apart from that, I've heard of people keeping them with different types of sea stars, low stinging polyps, mushrooms, and similar creatures. Some people also keep them with a few different kinds of shrimp, various types of crabs, snails, and clams, as they act as a good clean-up crew. People usually do this with the understanding that they may lose some of these tank mates, but according to what I've seen on a website called TONMO.com (the website that KC2020 mentioned above), it seems that people have had success keeping the aforementioned creatures in the same tank as octopuses. However, it's generally not advisable to keep multiple octopuses together, as they tend to fight and may even cannibalize each other. When they are babies, however, I've read its safe to keep them together for a brief period as long as they are well-fed, but they will eventually need to be separated as well.

• Wow 1
deadendruss
On 5/28/2024 at 9:23 AM, challengerdeepgirl said:

Octopuses have a varied diet, but they won't eat everything. I've had the opportunity to work with a few of them in the past and I've seen them coexist successfully with pencil urchins and brittle stars. Apart from that, I've heard of people keeping them with different types of sea stars, low stinging polyps, mushrooms, and similar creatures. Some people also keep them with a few different kinds of shrimp, various types of crabs, snails, and clams, as they act as a good clean-up crew. People usually do this with the understanding that they may lose some of these tank mates, but according to what I've seen on a website called TONMO.com (the website that KC2020 mentioned above), it seems that people have had success keeping the aforementioned creatures in the same tank as octopuses. However, it's generally not advisable to keep multiple octopuses together, as they tend to fight and may even cannibalize each other. When they are babies, however, I've read its safe to keep them together for a brief period as long as they are well-fed, but they will eventually need to be separated as well.

Great info thanks.