Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Evo 13.5 leak concern

Jacolandoo

I’ve had my Fluval Evo for 2 months thus far and have had no issues whatsoever. I’m beginning to become attached to this tank and really enjoy it. However, I’ve read reviews online of some that have experienced leaking out of nowhere, even after months of owning it. How can this be avoided? Or is it just a risk all aquariums have?

Murphs_Reef

I had one in the shed for dipping, cleaning stuff and storing extra rock. I've never heard of them leaking out of nowhere they are solid. 

Mine only broke a few weeks back because I leaned on it to get some tools 

• Thanks 1

I can't speak to this tank specifically, but some generalities probably apply....

In many cases, the stand is the real problem that causes the tank to start leaking.  

In general...   Glass is strong, but somewhat brittle.  So it can hold LOTS of water.  But it CANNOT tolerate being full on an un-flat surface.  Princess and the Pea, all the way. 😉

This mixed quality of "brittle strength" is the reason that most tanks come with a plastic frame attached to the bottom....it can tolerate a much less perfect stand.  Thanks to the plastic frame, most "standard" framed tanks only need support from the stand in the corners.  (Those corners should still be flat-level though.) Non-standard tanks, or tanks that come without a bottom frame almost always require (and should always have) some kind of foam-ish layer in between the tank and stand. 

Detailed accounts of leaking tanks aren't very common so say the least, but I think it would be especially rare if you found a leaking tank that didn't have a suspect stand involved in its story.

• Thanks 1