Innovative Marine Aquariums

5 gallon cylinder pico

mxpro32

yondermountain91

Looking forward personally to how this 5 gallon develops. I think it's awesome that this site has a way to just block the people's content you don't want to see. What a great feature. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, yondermountain91 said:

Looking forward personally to how this 5 gallon develops. I think it's awesome that this site has a way to just block the people's content you don't want to see. What a great feature. 

Good idea. Hadn't thought of that

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Tom@HaslettMI

Very cool set up!  Where did you get the tank/candle holder?  I’ve been searching for one to make a terrarium in (I promise it’s not for a panther grouper). Also, please share more pics. Request for a top down shot. 

Tom

14 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Very cool set up!  Where did you get the tank/candle holder?  I’ve been searching for one to make a terrarium in (I promise it’s not for a panther grouper). Also, please share more pics. Request for a top down shot. 

Tom

Thanks!  I got the vase here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YN9CSJW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title. I'll take some more pics soon

• Thanks 1

You need to turn off the heater for ten minutes

Lift it out

Rub off that algae with a wet paper towel in peroxide until it's clean

Then put back, don't farm that algae on purpose it'll transmit to the whole system and likely has already started. 

Looks good so far. I don't think that fish vs the fish someone would keep in a 15 is all that ethically different if you're feeding and changing water. He isn't going to overpower the rock bioload carry ability, it's a subjective call but the algae fragmentation isn't/ remove that yesterday

• Like 1

I hadn't heard of algae fragmentation before.  it was moving on the the rocks and sandbed, but I cleaned the sand when I did a water change.  I just cleaned the heater.  

• Like 2

Just checking out your cylinder tank setup because I have an innovative marine atoll tank I’m thinking of setting up soon. Your tank looks really good… I love cylindrical tanks and your scape is perfect for it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Just checking out your cylinder tank setup because I have an innovative marine atoll tank I’m thinking of setting up soon. Your tank looks really good… I love cylindrical tanks and your scape is perfect for it.

thanks.  I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I can't wait to see it fill in with coral.  I have some nice little shelves on the column to put frags. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

I just checked out your 16g biocube, WOW! 😍

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mxpro32 said:

I just checked out your 16g biocube, WOW! 😍

Thanks so much, I really enjoyed running that tank… it was my first tank and I just broke it down a few months back to set up my Studio 12, which is off to a good start.

Looks like you ran an aquatic life skimmer in your 12 g… reminded me I have one! Is the same one you used? How did it work for you? I was thinking of getting a skimmer @Sharbuckle recently mentioned that looks really good, but maybe I should give this this one a shot first. 

D86E49D8-A954-4DDA-8186-A2C140715865.thumb.jpeg.d514e22c25ecb1051ad6c34ad44ed84f.jpeg

17 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much, I really enjoyed running that tank… it was my first tank and I just broke it down a few months back to set up my Studio 12, which is off to a good start.

Looks like you ran an aquatic life skimmer in your 12 g… reminded me I have one! Is the same one you used? How did it work for you? I was thinking of getting a skimmer @Sharbuckle recently mentioned that looks really good, but maybe I should give this this one a shot first. 

D86E49D8-A954-4DDA-8186-A2C140715865.thumb.jpeg.d514e22c25ecb1051ad6c34ad44ed84f.jpeg

Give this one a shot! If you can save money for coral, always save money for coral. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, banasophia said:

it skimmed a little.  not like a real skimmer though.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mxpro32 said:

it skimmed a little.  not like a real skimmer though.  

I mean it’s probably just as good as the Biocube skimmers I’ve run, but I guess I won’t get my hopes up too high. 

3 hours ago, mxpro32 said:

Pretty sure I have dinos.  Here is a video from my microscope.

Shoot, I don’t have the expertise to ID them, but they sure seem to be a common issue recently. How’s your tank look? I usually dose some Microbacter 7 to increase the diversity of competitive microorganisms and the dinos usually disappear pretty quickly with minimal effort, but I’ve had a tough time with them in my new tank. 

geekreef_05

Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. 

Ya those are Dinos. 

Ive been pretty happy with my Reef Glass Nano Skimmer. Its simple, inexpensive.. but its really pulling out some crud and helped to raise my pH by 0.1-0.2. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, banasophia said:

Shoot, I don’t have the expertise to ID them, but they sure seem to be a common issue recently. How’s your tank look? I usually dose some Microbacter 7 to increase the diversity of competitive microorganisms and the dinos usually disappear pretty quickly with minimal effort, but I’ve had a tough time with them in my new tank. 

the tank doesn't look bad.  just small strands with bubbles here and there.  my large tank has them too now.  I'm running a small uv light in my hob on the small one.  probably shouldn't add microbactor while running that huh?

• Like 1
geekreef_05

Ya live bacteria with a uv running would be counter productive.

Might want to turn the uv and skimmer, if you have one, off for 24hrs after adding live bacteria.

It may have instructions on the product 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

so I first tried Dino X in both tanks and it had no effect on the dinos.  Then I tried seachem metroplex in both tanks at the recommendation of my lfs, with no effect.  so I tried putting a uv  light in my sump on the large tank and it looks like the dinos are gone now so I added a small uv light to the hob filter in the nano.  hopefully it works as well as it did on the larger tank.  the dinos never did get bad, just a small amount of stringy stuff.  I've also made sure to keep my nitrates and phosphates up.  this nano is purpling up with coralline faster than any tank I've ever had.  probably helps the rock was from the sump of my established tank so there wasn't a cycle.