ReefCleaners.org

ML's 14 IM Peninsula

ml86743

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Great discussion on foods! I need to figure out what my possum wrasse Marshall will eat besides spirulina brine shrimp and live pods. He seems very particular… he loves spirulina brine shrimp, for example, but he will not touch spirulina mysis shrimp!

And Hank, my YCG, is picky too… he really isn’t happy if I don’t add a bit of the Sustainable Aquatics hatchery diet for his meal. Reminds me of my granddad who always had to have potatoes with every meal, or it didn’t count as a meal! 

And now, with my sea fan, I really need to make sure I’ve got the right foods to keep it open. I had ordered a special (pricey) sea fan powdered food, but apparently that’s no longer available. The fan seems happy with live phyto and oyster feast though, so maybe we’re all good there. 

Do you have any food soaks?  I've had some great success with selcon/vitamarin m.  Great for finicky eaters.  Like PJ said, the smellier the better. 

8 hours ago, PJPS said:

❤️

PO4 balance, add some PO4 rich food - anything dry and not probiotic usually. soak it in tankwater with the Rod’s.  A little can go a long way, so the usual stuff about starting slow applies. Top up with PO4 dosing until you’re in the pocket 😊

I’ve been tempted to try the reef blizzard foods.  I like that it’s available in different sizes. Captiv8 foods as well.  I have a very mixed view on BW (largely negative, but better than most 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I’ve literally never had anything but dinoflagellates as a result of tinkering with PO4.  But others swear that it enhances colour and growth If you keep it low.  I personally have never witnessed this… ever😊.  Maybe it’s a water volume thing?

I guess that's my thought process - considering it always ends up @ .03-.04 I'm thinking that's the current saturation point.   But if I'm wrong, I'm afraid of the 0 mark.  This current tank, I'm almost using BW products exclusively with no negative reviews so far.  

You know what I find so hilarious - 5-10 years ago I was chasing doubles 0's for nutrient levels, and now the chase is for dirtier water..sciene man..

Here's some pics I snapped earlier this afternoon!  Finally got the favia to look almost spot on via photograph.  Cyph is looking better by the day, a poor shot of winst..he's always zippin around hes tough to capture.  I go to one side of the tank..he goes to the other. 

I would like to take the award for worst epoxy/gluer here on NR.  Thank you. 

FTS right side. (we really need stuff to grown in :))  

52696875869_f05693da85_b.jpg

Winston

52697031885_59574a1f64_b.jpg

Cyph

52696098492_aa04e43a73_b.jpg

Favia

52696875494_d58186a2e2_b.jpg

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

No I’ve never tried to do any kind of food soak, need to look into that! 

Good for immune system and packed full of other good vitamins for the feesh too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

Do you have any food soaks?  I've had some great success with selcon/vitamarin m.  Great for finicky eaters.  Like PJ said, the smellier the better. 

I guess that's my thought process - considering it always ends up @ .03-.04 I'm thinking that's the current saturation point.   But if I'm wrong, I'm afraid of the 0 mark.  This current tank, I'm almost using BW products exclusively with no negative reviews so far.  

You know what I find so hilarious - 5-10 years ago I was chasing doubles 0's for nutrient levels, and now the chase is for dirtier water..sciene man..

Here's some pics I snapped earlier this afternoon!  Finally got the favia to look almost spot on via photograph.  Cyph is looking better by the day, a poor shot of winst..he's always zippin around hes tough to capture.  I go to one side of the tank..he goes to the other. 

I would like to take the award for worst epoxy/gluer here on NR.  Thank you. 

FTS right side. (we really need stuff to grown in :))  

52696875869_f05693da85_b.jpg

Winston

52697031885_59574a1f64_b.jpg

Cyph

52696098492_aa04e43a73_b.jpg

Favia

52696875494_d58186a2e2_b.jpg

Is it me or is that cyphastrea looking better . The PE isn’t as extreme, but the ceonosarc(sp?) looks better. Everything looks pretty dope.

Agree. On the PO4.  My PO4 is BW 😊.  I jusst think there’s a lot of fluff alongside the quality stuff. For instance you like the blizzard foods, I’ll likely try it next time I’m looking for food.  Your recommendation is plenty, quality brand (fluff excepted, your tank backs up the products better than at least one big “sponsored by brightwell” personality I can think of.👍🏻

1 minute ago, PJPS said:

Is it me or is that cyphastrea looking better . The PE isn’t as extreme, but the ceonosarc(sp?) looks better. Everything looks pretty dope.

Agree. On the PO4.  My PO4 is BW 😊.  I jusst think there’s a lot of fluff alongside the quality stuff. For instance you like the blizzard foods, I’ll likely try it next time I’m looking for food.  Your recommendation is plenty, quality brand (fluff excepted, your tank backs up the products better than at least one big “sponsored by brightwell” personality I can think of.👍🏻

Yeah dawg! I actually think there's some fresh encrusting going on!  There is alot of fluff for sure in the BW product line..  On this subject - we talked about A4R before - do you think it would be proactive to start with a donor dose, just for the addition of trace elements?  My consumption of CA/MG/alk is still super low, like not even thinking about dosing low lol. I guess my question ends up being, is it possible to formulate a dose that maintains current tank levels and beefs up the advantage of the trace elements?  Or is it more of a wait until I need it kinda deal.  It seems like it's already more of a mild way to increase the big three rather than a relatively quick shot from 2-part or other options.  

4 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Yeah dawg! I actually think there's some fresh encrusting going on!  There is alot of fluff for sure in the BW product line..  On this subject - we talked about A4R before - do you think it would be proactive to start with a donor dose, just for the addition of trace elements?  My consumption of CA/MG/alk is still super low, like not even thinking about dosing low lol. I guess my question ends up being, is it possible to formulate a dose that maintains current tank levels and beefs up the advantage of the trace elements?  Or is it more of a wait until I need it kinda deal.  It seems like it's already more of a mild way to increase the big three rather than a relatively quick shot from 2-part or other options.  

Just start super low if your alk demand isn’t demanding dosing yet.  I don’t know if it’ll do anything, but it won’t hurt anything if you start real low and build up.  If you dilute it 4:1 with RODI, start at 1ml/day.  A4R is a bit tricky for the first while, as the formate to carbonate transition is bacteria driven.  So unlike typical alk additives, your alk takes 6-48h to “bump”.  So slowly slowly, shit won”t register for ? Hours 😊

12 minutes ago, PJPS said:

Just start super low if your alk demand isn’t demanding dosing yet.  I don’t know if it’ll do anything, but it won’t hurt anything if you start real low and build up.  If you dilute it 4:1 with RODI, start at 1ml/day.  A4R is a bit tricky for the first while, as the formate to carbonate transition is bacteria driven.  So unlike typical alk additives, your alk takes 6-48h to “bump”.  So slowly slowly, shit won”t register for ? Hours 😊

10-4, sorry if you already said exactly that pretty sure I asked the same question elsewhere...I'll probably order some soon

• ml86743 changed the title to ML's 14 IM Peninsula
45 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

10-4, sorry if you already said exactly that pretty sure I asked the same question elsewhere...I'll probably order some soon

Meh, no worries 👍🏻. I didn’t go over the details of how I’d approach it if my tank was just starting to grow.  Better to ask than zap a pretty sweet tank with impatience.  Stuff will take off when they’re ready.  I have yet to find speedier growth outside aminos & feeding, and recently learned softies can significantly stunt growth, even if everything is “fine”.  Leather, gorgs, gsp, anything that poisons the water to fight for space (any softie thats not a shroom).

If you can get fresh air to the tank, that naturally boosted pH helps.  I find “goosed” pH just uses more additives (drives alk consumption) with meh gains.  I do drip 250ml kalk overnight, that keeps my overnight above 7.7, but if I reach for more, stuff looks shitty.  I figure it’s too caustic for Nano volumes to use anywhere close to daily evaporation.  I’m 100mls from the danger zone.  My ATO still covers the bulk of water replacement.

E: dayrime pH peaks at 8.2 when I can open a window in the room the tank is in.  That room’s door stays closed and window open for 8 months a year.  Even if the ac or heat is on.  Only weather the heater or fan can’t manage force us to close the window.  It’s the office, aquarium room, and horticulture room.  It’s the smaller bedroom of a 2 bedroom highrise condo in a crazy yo-yo climate. For anyone seeking usefull pH increases.

• Like 1

Guys, were on a roll, in a rhythm.  Tank is responding well to my input.  Starting to get a little "hands off" aside from testing.  Only unhappy guy is the alveopora.  Had him glued to lower ledge early - started to see some extension before a hermit knocked him down, moved it to an area with a touch less light intensity and flow.  Hasn't opened AT ALL since.  Hoping it will change soon, very temperamental.   Most of the real estate mid level is taken.  I would like to fill in the top of the scape with some more demanding SPS or LPS when the time is right.  Whatever goes up there, it's gonna get blasted w flow and light.  Couple areas of the lower scape that need some frags.  Thinking another chalice might do the trick in one area.  Tank needs motion too.  I'd like to give a torch or hammer a shot, not really sure where just yet. Recs are always welcome. 

• Like 2

Demanding SPS? Jelly on calcium razor blades (torches, hammers,etc) are annoyingly prone to cutting themselves on their own skeletons.  They cut something wavy/jiggly on their skeleton, the cat gets infected, and then there’s a “mysterious brown jelly” “ they just do that sometimes”…

One moment in the wrong flow is all it takes, and then you wasted your money on a coral that might seem appealing, but invariably gets hit with the wrong kind of flow.  In a bigger tank sure in the tank with no SPS, probably? Trying to do both in the same nano tank will drive you crazy 🍻

skip chalices, torches, anything with real reach.  You can get some really crazy stuff under the “favia” name, cool cyphastrea, leptastrea, leptoseris, get some cool monti setosa, maybe something grafted if you’re feeling $pendy.  For acros, red planet is nice, any florida, tortusa, humilis, spathulata, rosaria, hyacynthus… (sorry not great with names unless I’ve had to buy one).  I’ve found high light & smooth skinned in the same nano impossible.  There’s not enough depth to get a big enough change in light intensity. Just my two cents etc.. ❤️

17 minutes ago, PJPS said:

Demanding SPS? Jelly on calcium razor blades (torches, hammers,etc) are annoyingly prone to cutting themselves on their own skeletons.  They cut something wavy/jiggly on their skeleton, the cat gets infected, and then there’s a “mysterious brown jelly” “ they just do that sometimes”…

One moment in the wrong flow is all it takes, and then you wasted your money on a coral that might seem appealing, but invariably gets hit with the wrong kind of flow.  In a bigger tank sure in the tank with no SPS, probably? Trying to do both in the same nano tank will drive you crazy 🍻

skip chalices, torches, anything with real reach.  You can get some really crazy stuff under the “favia” name, cool cyphastrea, leptastrea, leptoseris, get some cool monti setosa, maybe something grafted if you’re feeling $pendy.  For acros, red planet is nice, any florida, tortusa, humilis, spathulata, rosaria, hyacynthus… (sorry not great with names unless I’ve had to buy one).  I’ve found high light & smooth skinned in the same nano impossible.  There’s not enough depth to get a big enough change in light intensity. Just my two cents etc.. ❤️

Good point.  I think "demanding" was the wrong word to use there.  More like "appropriate" for that top rock.  Would be pretty cool to get some caps working off the edges.  Maybe this anacropora has me fooled I'm an SPS guy now.. lol.  A choice birds nest might be cool for somewhere around the top.   I'm hoping this monti stellatta does well too, that'll fill in a decent gap in the center.  Looks happy rn.  I hear ya about the sweepers but I just love me some chalice nd stuff.  The one I have now pretty much has the whole back right to take over..fingers crossed..

I also wouldn't splurge on a 500 dollar torch...I realize the limitations of the tank but I sure as shit am gonna push it. 

Talking to the lady about getting this badboy a stand too.  I'd like (and i bet she would too) to move it off the kitchen island.  Doesn't get in the way of the food zone but it's just a hot spot for activity for the kids and everybody.  I'd imagine I could just drain a little over half and we could carry it over to a new location. 

1 hour ago, ml86743 said:

Good point.  I think "demanding" was the wrong word to use there.  More like "appropriate" for that top rock.  Would be pretty cool to get some caps working off the edges.  Maybe this anacropora has me fooled I'm an SPS guy now.. lol.  A choice birds nest might be cool for somewhere around the top.   I'm hoping this monti stellatta does well too, that'll fill in a decent gap in the center.  Looks happy rn.  I hear ya about the sweepers but I just love me some chalice nd stuff.  The one I have now pretty much has the whole back right to take over..fingers crossed..

I also wouldn't splurge on a 500 dollar torch...I realize the limitations of the tank but I sure as shit am gonna push it. 

Talking to the lady about getting this badboy a stand too.  I'd like (and i bet she would too) to move it off the kitchen island.  Doesn't get in the way of the food zone but it's just a hot spot for activity for the kids and everybody.  I'd imagine I could just drain a little over half and we could carry it over to a new location. 

Anacropora isn”t THAT much easier.  Confidence my good man🍻.  Just keeping dirt cheap on the acros until you see that they’re stable. There are some gorgeous corals that are unpopular and available relatively cheap.  Bonsai, Tort, (stag looks dumb in a nano), older tenuis… just keep it aquacultured.  Buy direct, I never trust that the LFS actually knows. At the end of the day, they will gladly sell you a coral, and tell you whatever you need to hear.

PRO TIP: keep your caps low, they’ll shade every thing under them.  That’s how they colonize a reef, acres of plates.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ml86743 said:

You can drop by mittenreef's tank thread for inspiration when it comes to SPS. He has quite the collection. 

• Like 1

I've been away for  a work trip last week.  Tank is still hummin, tons of HA on the back wall and a dirty sand bed.  Noticed lack of PE from the cyph and the chalice has been sucked pretty tight to the skeleton.  I noticed PO4 was down, reading .02 from the usual .08-.1.  Raised it back up and the cyph looked normal, chalice still sucked in but improving.  Salinity was down from 1.025 to 1.023, not too concerning.  pH was also a little low @ 7.8 from 8.2ish.  I'm not well versed in the affects of swinging pH, but I don't know that LPS corals are greatly affected from a .4 difference.  

I'm assuming my PO4 was the reason for the off looking corals.  All the other params were in check.  

alk - 8.2

calcium 426

mag - 1480

NO3 - 10-15

Temp 77-78 

I'm thinking I'm gonna give a HYDROS controller a shot, just for peace of mind when I'm away.  

Also ordered the matching IM stand.  I need to get it off the kitchen counter, too much traffic from kids and drawers slamming haha.  Plan is to drain halfway and move and refill.  This will also allow me to keep all the tank stuff tidy and hidden. 

5 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Also ordered the matching IM stand.  I need to get it off the kitchen counter, too much traffic from kids and drawers slamming haha.  Plan is to drain halfway and move and refill.  This will also allow me to keep all the tank stuff tidy and hidden. 

Pros - The kitchen counter can be great for viewing the tank. 

Cons - I never have enough counter space. For me it always looked a little messy/cluttered with the wires. 

I think you'll enjoy the stand. What room will the tank move to?

Our living room is all open and includes the kitchen, tank is on the island.  Were going to find a spot tucked against a wall somewhere.  We have a good corner full of all sorts of s**t right now but we would like to convert it into a nook for relaxing/reading.  I'm thinking there.  

It's really about finding a spot that's calmer.  I have zoas that will close up from the silverware drawers and I know the fish will dart around from time to time with the noise. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

I'm thinking I'm gonna give a HYDROS controller a shot, just for peace of mind when I'm away.  

I’m gone for a week here and there as well. Would love to know how the Hydros works out. I loved my little reef keeper lite 10 years ago. Not a chance I’d shell out for an Apex.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Koleswrath said:

I’m gone for a week here and there as well. Would love to know how the Hydros works out. I loved my little reef keeper lite 10 years ago. Not a chance I’d shell out for an Apex.

Probably pull the trigger on something within the next few months 

Picture Time!

I'm starting to not like the palys on the one side of the tank.  They seem like they have take-over potential and they're an ugly brown:( I might try and razor off the ones attaching to the rock and just move the main colony away. 

I'd like to start taking monthly FTS:

{We're gonna call this one the March FTS)😇

Still dirty as ever:)

52715879951_3122b90a17_b.jpg

52716303525_b1caf75684_b.jpg

Look who's starting to show up to the partayyyy!  Excited about this guy.  Hope he continues to show improvement!

52716359823_528c1f4a4c_b.jpg

Growth Tips on the Anacro - dead spots are still dead from purchase.  There's a hermit whos been keeping him cleaned up when algae starts to grow.  I'm hoping it will eventually take over with new tissue:)

52715358927_4e5fb54b1c_b.jpg

@World Wide Corals Golden Gods

52715358862_b02739d4e3_b.jpg

Cyph starting to get growin again

52716359783_a767bb4b83_b.jpg

Finally found a good spot right in the front-middle for these guys:)  This is my first go with blasto's.  They have slowly become one of my favorites ever!

52715358842_eaee884512_b.jpg

Stellata with great purple color and wanting to take off!

52715358797_1d2c8d2431_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Thinking about moving the anacro up a tier.  Its looking pretty good but leaves a lot to be desired.  I've heard they can do well in lower light but in my scenario, It may benefit from additional PAR.  Any ideas guys? 

Moved some things around, including the chalice.  Not looking great RN but I think it'll come back well.  Rehabbing some acans I got awhile back too.

Current Problem:

Starting to see a decent flatworm outbreak.  They're not bothering any corals, I'm guessing Red Planaria?  Seem to be feeding on the green film algae..but there's defiantly an explosion.  Not really sure what the next move is.  I'm sure Winston has been enjoying a few here and there.  I'll continue to siphon a few out when I have time.   All comes from not dipping my corals so my fault.   I added some coral RX to my little flatworm holding bowl and they almost immediately died off. 

I'm thinking I need to find a better feeding balance of the coral foods.  I've noticed the small hydroids I have explode after a few good feedings of the fine powder and I'm assuming it's similar with the flatworms. 

All the other corals are looking really good.  The alveopora has been great but I literally just knocked it off while sucking out some flatworms.  Hit it pretty hard on the skeleton:(  Had to reglue..last time it happened it didnt open for like a week.  Picked up a choice goniopora to go up front with the alveo.  Of course, today was the best it's looked since I've had it. 

Time moves on..

Not feeling discourged but man this tank is pesty.  Still young though - barely 4 months, gotta keep on keepin on' 

New Pics:

Believe it or not, this is pretty accurate for this Jamba Juice Favia..it has become my favorite piece in the tank.  Hoping this will grow into a nice mini-colony. 

52748670338_cb94d5e1d4_b.jpg

Over Edited - But looks cool  on these zoas. 

52748670333_18285c2d2f_b.jpg

New Goni:)

52747651347_22552c295c_b.jpg

These are growin well!

52748670303_0a35104274_b.jpg

Update:

Some things are happy...some aren't, fish are good..tanks pretty clean.  Trying not to worry and overreact to something looking "off".  These corals are pretty tough if a stable environment is maintained 🙂

• Like 6

Update: The banggai cardinalfish was starting to get aggressive towards winston.  After 30 minutes and knocking over frags/removing the entire top rock he's out and replaced with a purple firefish.  Bad initial call on my end - I should've known he would grow quickly and the 14 was not big enough.  He will now live out his days in a 70g at a local LFS 🙂  win on both ends .  

The firefish is a nice compliment to winstons color combo anyway. 

Corals are still humming.  The ric garden is starting to fill in nicely.  PO'ed some zoas with the net but they should come back fine.  

Problem Corals: Orange/green chalice is recovering slowly from whatever was wrong, has started to regain color and puff up nicely.  

The island time zoas have been so/so, they were looking alright at their old location but some would close consistently, I equated this to too much light and since moving them to the sandbed they will barely open (this is unrelated to the net incident) - I'm going to reglue tonight to a location somewhere in the middle.   

Picked up a few frags from TSA (really nice blasto & ponape birdsnest), they should be in this week.  The real-estate on the middle/bottom half is almost used up.  Just need to get some high light lovers for the top rock.

I've been able to dial my alk right around 8-8.2 with weekly water changes thus far. 

Not paying as much attention to nutrients due to time constarits, but when I do check (usually 2x weekly) PO4 is around .07 and NO3 is at 10-15.  Coral coloration is pretty consistent.  

Rocks are really starting to mature nicely.  

I've been siphoning out sand every WC and will probably end up continuing to do so until it's basically a BB.  This will be my last tank using sand.

I have heard good things about that stuff WWC uses, the calcium carbonate substrate or whatever..probably not right. 

Thanks for reading:)

• ml86743 changed the title to ML's 14 IM Peninsula