SaltCritters.com

Ratvan's Reefing 9to5 - Feeder shrimp Breeder?

Ratvan

10 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Could try out of of those generic China Coral Par bulbs, or just grab a 30W NiCrew.

Could do but not really wanting to spend on the set up, can barely afford corals for the Mantis Manor (Evo 13.5G) so another set up as well as changing the Office RSM back to a reef in the new year..... can't see it happening. 

Plus i really want to restart the 2.5G Pico 

I think the issue is with the power cord, does appear to have been nibbled by bunny in the past so will swap out the plug and see what happens

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, growsomething said:

It's so true that the tank itself is a minor expense in a running reef.

Also going through this made me realise that i had not inspected or tested most of my "spare" equipment in well over a year, which explains the luck that i am having currently with equipment. Will replacing the equipment this month with Black Friday sales (mainly spare heaters to be honest). 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I am going to withdraw from this contest. 

Putting a lot of thought into this for the past few weeks, I have decided that I am going to concentrate on the Fluval Evo 13G that I currently have running as the Mantis Shrimp Tank with some soft corals, and also in the new year either make RSM130D a reef again, or at the very least a soft restart with more plants and hardscape for a different type of Cichlids (maybe breed Red Peacocks -i do prefer how they seem to be a lot less aggressive as well as the sand sifting abilities.) 

Additionally the costs of utilities has absolutely sky rocketed, my bills this time last year were £57.00PCM, the latest bills for similar usage are close to £85.00 and with more price increases on the horizon.

Finally i cannot locate any affordable livestock that I am interested in, so while i would love to partake in the contest at this point in time i cannot see myself putting much if any effort into another tank, especially one that is likely to be bare for the duration of the contest. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Sorry to see this.  However, there are no mandatory posting requirements for this contest.  You could even drain it and stock it in the spring if you'd like.  Think it over; you are already qualified.  You might come up with something that interests you.  The only other thing required is to send me a final photo after the content is over.

• Like 4

I'd hate to see you withdraw from the contest! I was looking forward to the development of this system. Definitely consider stocking later in the spring or whenever utility costs come down and livestock is less expensive? Either way do what you gotta do. I hope you revisit this project/idea again in the future. 

• Like 2

Ratvan: I don’t like my tank and I don’t think I’ll post anymore.

Joanna: You’re just not gonna post?

Ratvan: Yeah.

Joanna: Won’t you get disqualified?

Ratvan: I don’t know. But I really don’t like it and, uh, I’m not gonna post.

Joanna: So you’re gonna quit?

Ratvan: Uh-uh. Not really. I’m just gonna stop posting.

Joanna: When did you decide all that?

Ratvan: About an hour ago.

Joanna: So you’re going to get another tank?

Ratvan: I don’t think I’ll like another tank.

Joanna: Well what are you going to do with the extra money? Bills?

Ratvan: You know I never really liked paying bills, I don’t think I’m going to do that either.

Won’t you get disqualified?

Seabass: Nope.

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1

Here's another idea.  It could be a simple (tital tank) conceptual setup with just saltwater (no livestock or aquascape).  It might not be a winner, but it could be interesting.  You could even add a single fish in there for the final pic.

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Here's another idea.  It could be a simple conceptual setup with just saltwater (no livestock or aquascape).  It might not be a winner, but it could be interesting. :unsure:

well i mean i do need somewhere to store the feeder shrimp......

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Murphych said:

I have one of them beside my bed.. well its a glass but it does have water in 🤣

😂 was actually thinking the windowsill in my bedroom gets the best sunlight, especially this time of year. But thats literally the furthest from the mantis tank that i can put it..... might have to re arrange the cottage

• Like 2

So have been thinking what I would like the long term goals of this tank will be;

1. To see what the long term effects of no water movement, no heat and only sunlight will have on the tank's cycle

2. Experiment to see whether the Macroalgae will survive in above conditions as this is going to be used as Nutrient export as such

3. Experiment to see whether the Xenia will adapt to the above conditions

4. Keep the rock cycled so that it is established for when i add this to the 2.5 Old School Pico that I plan on restarting as the office Pico tank now that i have a better understanding of how the system should run  

• Like 4

Interesting... I'd be so tempted to add a rigid air line.  However, gas exchange will happen at the water's surface and the macroalgae will produce O2 during the light cycle (although it will consume O2 at night).  The Xenia will be a big nutrient exporter as well.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Interesting... I'd be so tempted to add a rigid air line.  However, gas exchange will happen at the water's surface and the macroalgae will produce O2 during the light cycle (although it will consume O2 at night).  The Xenia will be a big nutrient exporter as well.

I've noticed a very slight amount of water movement in the sunlight (heating the water) as well the Xenia pulsing, have also been looking into those Marimo Moss Balls which are a form of Chadophora. In small shrimp tanks these apparently add some movement themselves so might try one of those 

• Like 1