SaltCritters.com

Activated carbon can become exhausted in as little as a week.  Normally I might use it for a couple of weeks.  However, for removing potential toxins, I'd use fresh activated carbon.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The "starfish" is gone, could a fish eat it?

Asterina, they move faster than you think. Probably in your sand bed now. I have one that shows on rare occasion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Asterina, they move faster than you think. Probably in your sand bed now. I have one that shows on rare occasion.

Do I remove it if I see it again?

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Do I remove it if I see it again?

When I did a google search about mine, the results were about 50/50 on whether they are good or bad. I decided to follow the positive and have left mine alone.

• Thanks 1

Some species of asterinas will eat zoanthids. All species will eat corals when starving. In a tank with plenty of algae and stuff to eat, they're usually fine. 

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

I killed a lot of flatworms and siphon out dozens... but there are still some... again this time. I even over dosed flatworm exit. 

After 2 hours I did a 25% water change and now I'm thinking of dosing flatworm exit again while the carbon is still active and that there is still flatworm exit in the water.

Edited by Kindanewtothis
Kindanewtothis

It looks like flatworm exit only kills some of my flatworms...

Think I'll have to learn to live with them... or maybe remove the neon goby and replace it with a damsel.

33 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It looks like flatworm exit only kills some of my flatworms...

Think I'll have to learn to live with them... or maybe remove the neon goby and replace it with a damsel.

just remember, lots of pods feeds flatworm population. keep adding pods to keep the flatworm population healthy.

• Haha 2
Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, rough eye said:

just remember, lots of pods feeds flatworm population. keep adding pods to keep the flatworm population healthy.

Not sure if it's a joke or not?

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, rough eye said:

it's a joke but it's true. 

Already put on hold poding that tank, but that's one more reason not to add more pods. 

More and more I think this tank will be closed.

3 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I suppose phyto is not a good idea either?

i don't know anything about dosing pods or phyto. The pods got you through the dino problem right? or did you end up using a chemical? I would say leave the flatworms and let things sort themselves out, but that's my attitude about pretty much everything in reefing. It's like bonsai - you can gradually, over years, make a tree grow any way you want. but the vast majority of the time you're doing nothing and waiting patiently. if you try to alter that branch too quickly it will break.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
14 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

The question is do your flatworm bother your corals?

No they don't. They stay on the walls, but I don't want things to get out of control.

Kindanewtothis
11 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i don't know anything about dosing pods or phyto. The pods got you through the dino problem right? or did you end up using a chemical?

Yeah I ended up using dino-x.

when i was a kid i remember this children's book, about the king who had mice, and got cats to get rid of the mice, and dogs to get rid of the cats, and on, and on.  each quick solution creates a new problem that then, in turn, needs to be solved. wouldn't it be better to wait, let the tanks achieve balance, and solve themselves? i mean, unless you enjoy endless hours of fiddling and spending tons of money.

to me, the animals in my tank are pets, but the tank as a whole is a pet. if i bought a dog i wouldn't get it plastic surgery to make it look like a different dog, or put it through rigorous training to change its behavior. forget about cats - good luck trying to ever change their behavior. anyway my tank might not be the prettiest, but i'm going to give it time to become what it was meant to be.

• Like 3

Wait, why would pods feed flatworms? I'm pretty sure those flatworms aren't predatory, at least not on anything that doesn't sit still. Do yours chase the pods around or something? 

But yeah, quick fixes and chemical solutions will lead most tanks into an endless spiral of bottled fixes for things. Just... let stuff chill. And don't add an anemone for awhile. Probably don't get a magnifica ever. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Tired said:

Wait, why would pods feed flatworms? I'm pretty sure those flatworms aren't predatory, at least not on anything that doesn't sit still. Do yours chase the pods around or something? 

i don't know, i saw that video of a flatworm chasing down and eating a crab so i think they can probably grab pods.

41 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i don't know, i saw that video of a flatworm chasing down and eating a crab so i think they can probably grab pods.

Flatworms I've seen are barely larger than pods

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)